Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 GAMBIAN TRADITIONAL FAMILY NAMES
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  21:03:02  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
WOTOH NING NYA SOTO KEH TAA ---

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  21:25:49  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Janko

WOTOH NING NYA SOTO KEH TAA ---

I cant decode this sentence.
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  22:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
”MANNG KELO NYA SO TO”

WOTOH NING I YAH NYA SOTO --- (Then, when you get the time---)

KELO NYA BUKA SOTO

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  22:20:20  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Ok. I understand.
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  00:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
kaira silo man janfa ,ali nga bula woto . we have gain some new mandinka and wolof proverbs here through the exchanges between kondo and janko. kufula kakun sila kileng konoley .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  01:01:48  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
You see i was responding to two topics almost the same time and could not do justice to them both as i would like to.
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2007 :  00:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
kondo ,i have always love your vast historical knowledge. but i want us to be very traditional some times. janko as shown a huge quality in traditional heritage.aado mou fenba leti .our cultures and traditions need to be respected and preserved. we need to have to base at which we can educate our children. most of us are far away from home ,we are having families in foriegn lands ,our children may get confused .we need our identity and culuture. still my wolof and fula brothers/sisters are quiet. what is the meaning of jallow? i will pay $50 to the any one who answer this question. momodou will be the middle man .i am serious . lets get debating

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2007 :  18:47:03  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Santanfara

kaira silo man janfa ,ali nga bula woto . we have gain some new mandinka and wolof proverbs here through the exchanges between kondo and janko. kufula kakun sila kileng konoley .

Do you know the mandinka song called JULU BAA? What is the origin and who can dance to it? I will donate D10.00 to the RVH for the right answer.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2007 :  18:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
kondo ,julubaa . .i know a bit about it .julu baa in the kabu concept or in the gambian traditional women dance ? i cannot furnish both answers now .be a bit specific because i want your ten d for rvh

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2007 :  19:29:41  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Which ever concept you want: Gambian or Kaabu just explain and i will donate D10.00 for paracetamol at RVh

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  19:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
it is interesting how far spread the kamara family name is diverse accross tribal lines.
i was speaking to some people who said camara is among jola ,fulla ,sarahuleh ,wolof etc. this is interesting. why would this be ? for example it will be difficult to find a Touray jola or serere and likewise for darboe and ceesay .similarly it is difficult to find a jallow as mandinka ,serere ,jola ,sarahule etc. but kamara or camara is well accross the line .is camara a universal senegambia family name ? no tribe can lay any claim to it . waw .what say you camaras .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  11:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
last night i was invited by two sarahule brothers i met in our local mosque for magrib prayer to have some diner with them. i couldn't refuse ,cos i am a touray ,we eat alot.
i got chatting with this men ,they speak fluent mandinka and i try sarahule as well. a united gambia is our dream .we talk about lots of things .finally we discussed th reason why sarahulehs don't send there children in secular school .may be only less than 1% of sarahuleh would say they ever attend school .they can afford any cost to educate their children. they are among the wealthies in the gambia. so why don't they engage in secular education ? why is that our news papers don't highlight this issue ?
any way ,they gave a reason that it was for fear that the educated sarahulehs would abandon ther culture and way of life .i said this is not a good reason.
i was in school with lots of sarahuleh children but upto raining season and the classes are empty.
i will leave our papers to probe this issue.second thing we discussed is politics ,sarahulehs don't activly take part in politics.they cheer others but they will hardly put a candidate forward.the only successful person was musa drammeh .why that as well ?
let the news paper write about that as well.
now coming to the topic inself ,i got from them three sarahuleh family name .

one is WAGGEH .many of you will hardly ever heard of this family name. but it is a typical sarahuleh family name .what is waggeh ? waggeh as the young business man told me meant GOOD DOER .he said their ancestor was a very generous man ,and he will help any needy people .he was also a pious man. so one day he went to river and he heard a voise calling waggeh .waggeh is a sarahuleh word for nice person or good and kind person.

second name is FOFANA .this is a malian family name .but also use among sarahulehs and some mandinkas. they told me fofana and sawaneh are twin names .well ,i told them sawaneh is also mandinka and jahanka but they insisted it is sarahuleh .well ,i was on my owm so i have to oblige
they said FOFANA AND SAWANEH came about in a race .yes runing maraton. the two men line up to race and the man who later became fofana was ahead at first and then later on the man who became sawaneh over took the fofana to win the race.
so fofana means loser and sawaneh meant winner or i over took you.
this two words are both sarahuleh words as well as mandinka.
any one with better answers bring it up.
fofana don't mean loser in every thing but only on the race .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Edited by - Santanfara on 27 Jul 2007 11:28:04
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  11:40:29  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Santanfara,
Very intresting piece. I Know the Waggeh family at Ingram Street in Banjul. Ebou and I moved together a lot but he himself doese'nt know he is a Sonninke.The Fofanas I know are inlaws to me but they are Hausa from Niger.There are a lot of Fofanas in Sierraleone and Mali not forgetting Guinea Konacery. Most of the Fofanas I know are Mandinka Mori. Their Mandinka is different from the one we speak in the Gambia. Can you enlighten us on this ? The different Mandinka dialects and their origin.
Ealier on I asked if anyone on the forum knew why and how KAFUTA got its name. I appealed to Kondorong but still waiting for an answer. Can anybody else help?
Go to Top of Page

Janky

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  12:14:01  Show Profile Send Janky a Private Message
What does JAMMEH mean

Janky
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  15:55:32  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Janky

What does JAMMEH mean

Janky,
They are the decendans of Sora Musa from Manding. Jammeh Musa Jilinka, Jammeh Sora Musa. That is why Suso is also Sora Musa.Sora Musa was a soldier who refused to kill people with his sword. When he found dead people in the battle field he stock his sword on them so that it looks like he killed them. Then the Bamana(Bambara) use to say subusogola. When Sora Musa Sy came from Manding and setteled , all the place was said to be his own(JANG BE MU I TA LETI)That is were Jammeh comes from. They are not of the JOLA as today, but due to intermarrige they became Jolas. Jammeh is also FA KOLI KUMBA NING FA KOLI DABA. You can find these people (KOLI KUMBA NING FA KOLI DABA)in the present Cassamance. In fact the one I know was married to my uncle Jeli Kemo Susokho. The father of the famous koraplayer Solo living in Norge.

Edited by - Alhassan on 07 Aug 2007 19:18:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06