Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 GAMBIAN TRADITIONAL FAMILY NAMES
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  12:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
i google kondorong but only our bantaba kondo came about . then i google camara .i got many famous footballer camara's no momodou camara camara in purtuguise means chambers .portugal also have camara.you have henri camara ,titi camara ,camara laye etc.
conteh is a malian surname also use in the gambia. it literally mean just like me .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MJT

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  14:38:25  Show Profile Send MJT a Private Message
So Santanfara!
I also belong to the Touray kunda Family,And i think this willhelp you too to know something about TOURe Familys.

http://perso.orange.fr/laurent.berte/Html/kemebourema1#adress

Edited by - MJT on 17 Jul 2007 14:40:00
Go to Top of Page

che

South Africa
40 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  17:06:10  Show Profile Send che a Private Message
You sound well informed, Santafara.I am a MANNEH,any idea what that might mean??
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  18:18:45  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by che

You sound well informed, Santafara.I am a MANNEH,any idea what that might mean??

Manneh is actually not a true last name. Its from two mandingo words: MAA NI which means i will not give it away or more simply i will not give (him) anything.

Sanneh is also from NSA NI ( I will give it away or more simply i will give(him) something. They were two brothers. Its their act of generosity or otherwise which htne gave them their last "names".
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  20:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
che ,THANKS for asking about manneh. i aggree with the alpha's answer. kondorong got it spot on.nmaa ni was aparaphrase manneh .there was also a song to that effect about abdou njie .but it doesn't have any thing to do with manneh. al mansa maneneh .manene is to plead with .
to my touray brother mjt ,i already forward that almamy samouri website a little while ago in the history section. thanks any way .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  22:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
The inconsistency in your explanation refutes your theory.

Without pronoun
Ma nii = not give away
Sa nii = shall give away

With pronoun
M´ma a nii = I haven’t given it away
N´sa a nii = I shall/will give it away

Sané a ning Mané
Sonko a ning Sanyang
according to oral tradition narratives these family names make a quartet, like the dual relationship between Singateh and Jamba, meaning their relationship is so close that one can not be explained without the rest.

Nyancho = (Prince) Sané, Mané
Korringo = Sonko, Sanyang

In Kaabou one becomes a nancho through the mother and not the father.
If a nancho male marries outside or to a none nancho the offspring becomes a Korringo.

The Sanés and Manés are princely warriors, is it possible one is male and the other feminine. (Speculation)
Ma néné = Beg/urge (to urge/beg the warrior to stop the war/killing)

Farango = Provincial governor
Maruo = Noble
Seefo = Chief

Jamba is feminine (Singateh)
Jangbang/Jambang is gender neutral (for both men and women)
Jang = here
Bang = finish/complete
Jamba and Jangbang/Jambang are two different family names

Santanfara; to get a full coverage of K/Camara google both C and K

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  23:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
janko, a very detail explanation ,abaraka. i think kondo was in a haste ,that is why he may have not explain the two in detail. you are correct in breaking dowm the two family names.
in certain areas the family name suso is for males and damba is for females .
what is worrying me is my fula uncles and wolof brothers failure to come with the goods as to what there respective family names meant. those silence means ignorance to the meaning or

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  23:46:56  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Janko

The inconsistency in your explanation refutes your theory.

Without pronoun
Ma nii = not give away
Sa nii = shall give away

With pronoun
M´ma a nii = I haven’t given it away
N´sa a nii = I shall/will give it away

There is no inconsistency and i cant see how that refutes my theory.

Sanneh is from NSA NI and manneh from MAA NI.

We have to make use of the roman alphabets as best as we could. Some sounds in Mandinka are difficult to write using the roman letters.

So lets not turn this into an academic exercise. Adding one more letter like letter "i" only shows regonal variations. Some regions tend to stretch their words.

Like the wolfs would boast of their traditions, they would often say:

DENGE MA NEH, KAI NAMPA.

Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  12:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
Hear me well

You are correct about the difficulties with sounds and dialects.
My point is the imperative and verb forms, possessive and noun forms should not be confused.

For example;

Baa and M´baa
Taa and N´taa
Maa ni and M´maa ni

If you add ”M” or ”N” to a noun the form changes from general to particular.

The inconsistency lies in the form of MAA NI because it lacks “M” whereas the N´SA NI is correct.

M´maa ni and ma néné are not the same

We have to be able to clarify such things for the endeavour to be trustworthy

”DENGE MA NEH, KAI NAMPA”….. my reply is;

MUNG NGA SENÈ FOO SULA YÈH = A desert dweller knows nothing about farming

This is not less academic than anything else

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  15:00:28  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Janko,
Thanks for the intresting information. I would like us to meet if you have time and possibility about these Mandinka names and ect. I live in Stockholm and active withn Jalikunda in Stockholm.
for more info logg on to www.jalikunda.se
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  17:41:57  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:

Hear me well

MUNG NGA SENÈ FOO SULA YÈH = A desert dweller knows nothing about farming

This is not less academic than anything else

Like the wolof say; KU DEMUT GAN NARR KHAM NA NEH, GOO DI LEH NYUYE RERR( Even if you have never been to the land of the berbers, one knows that they have dinner in the evening).

May be you need others to teach mandinka. You are preaching to the choir and as such i am not wasting my time on this. Even a baby knows that MA NI and MA NE NE are different. The first means i am not giving whilst the second means to plead with someone into doing something.

i appreciate your efforts. Times have changed so much that just been born into a tribe does not make you understand the language than not tribal mamembers.

I will give you an example of a n issue with a Peace Corps Volunteer and a gentleman travelling in a car.

The car stopped at a village and in came the American Peace Corp Voolunteer and as soon as he sat one man said the following

MAA LONG NYING SULA KOYO KATA MINTO LEH.

The Peace corps volunteer responded: SULA FING KATA DAA MENG, SULA KOYO KATA WOLEH TO.

This man immediately asked the driver to let him leave beacuse he was embarassed not expecting such a fluency in Mandinka.

So your saying that MUNG NGA SENÈ FOO SULA YÈH is out of place. Just because one is a desert dweller, does not mean they know nothing about farming. Today, the holy Land is greener than it has ever been 500 years ago.

May i remind you that its the same mandinka people who said the following: BAA FING FANANG NA KEKEWO KA KOY LEH DEH.
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  18:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
Too bad you feel this way

“You are preaching to the choir and as such i am not wasting my time on this.”
KUNNU KILINGO LA DANGPANG KATTOE TEH KUUNOLLU BALLA TIILA.

“Even a baby knows that MA NI and MA NE NE are different.”
My reference is to the context Ma ni and Nsa ni in Sané ning Mané, specifically.

The difference between MA NI and MA NE NE is also in reference to the meaning of the family name MANÈ, specifically.

“May be you need others to teach mandinka.” I am in need of a teacher myself.

Just suggesting possible explanations, my version is not absolute; there are surely many possible clarifications.

NING MENG LAFTA KAWNDOLLA TAA JAMANGO TOH

Am sure you are aware of the difference between proverbs and literal meanings, between generalisation and contextualisation.

KAIRA SIILO MANG JANGFA

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:17:17  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:

Too bad you feel this way

KUNNU KILINGO LA DANGPANG KATTOE TEH KUUNOLLU BALLA TIILA.

KURR TU FUNTUNG, NAYEH LO TU YEH, ISI SIYO TUWA YEH.

It looks like you are in a haste for me to go Chief mansa Musa of the manding Empire. Dont worry the floor is all yours.

You are right in saying that KUNNU KILINGO LA DANGPANG KATTOE TEH KUUNOLLU BALLA TIILA. I have no claim to be the head of any goup or of any influence so you are right my absence creates no problem. I have passed that stage in life, where i put out my chest boasting. I have stopped that since kindergarten.
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
HANI ISII MINNING MINNING NYING KELLO TEH BAILA

KELEH BORLA WOH TEH KUMAA KOI FOULA

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:59:24  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:

HANI ISII MINNING MINNING NYING KELLO TEH BAILA

KELEH BORLA WOH TEH KUMAA KOI FOULA

MANNG KELO NYA SO TO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06