Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 GAMBIAN TRADITIONAL FAMILY NAMES
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

MADIBA

United Kingdom
1275 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  01:07:36  Show Profile Send MADIBA a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alhassan
Janky,
They are the decendans of Sora Musa from Manding. Jammeh Musa Jilinka, Jammeh Sora Musa. That is why Suso is also Sora Musa.Sora Musa was a soldier who refused to kill people with his sword. When he found dead people in the battle field he stock his sword on them so that it looks like he killed them. Then the Bamana(Bambara) use to say subusogola. When Sora Musa Sy came from Manding and setteled , all the place was said to be his own(JANG BE MU I TA LETI)That is were Jammeh comes from. They are not of the JOLA as today, but due to intermarrige they became Jolas. Jammeh is also FA KOLI KUMBA NING FA KOLI DABA. You can find these people (KOLI KUMBA NING FA KOLI DABA)in the present Cassamance. In fact the one I know was married to my uncle Jeli Kemo Susokho. The father of the famous koraplayer Solo living in Norge.

Tanx Koto Alhassan How abt Jammeh Serere from Sittanunku and parts of Senegal? Having a living Jelli in the house is a great advantage. Koto give us more. How abt us the Baldehs, Bahs and Barrys?

madiss
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  08:18:29  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
MADIBA,
I surpose Jammeh living in the Nuimis must have been due to intermarrige. Muiningkos are mixed Serer and Mandunka. Realy I have very little knowledge about them. I suggest the Fulla Giriots(gawlo) take that part.

Edited by - Alhassan on 08 Aug 2007 13:01:20
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  15:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
alhasan ,you have some valid points here with jammeh .the reason jammeh is jola or camara and other mandinka family names end up appearing in different tribes is of various reasons. the chief among them was conversion .if say a mandinka person was responsible in making a jola a muslims ,in days gone ,the jola person will take the surmane of that man. in other instances it is war .some camara's and other families where warmongers ,they will capture other tribes and settle them among them ,this tribes will later run adopt the captors family name.jammeh as you say is link with suso ,dumbuya ,gaye etc. this was originally mandinak line of family names. intermarriage does not make one change a family name .the wive in our custom maintain her family name what ever that is.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  15:40:25  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Santanfara,
What I mean is when a Mandinka man marries a Fullah woman the children carries their fathers name. My half brothers mother is Sissokho but my brothers are Ndiayé. This is what I ment.
Go to Top of Page

Janky

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  16:40:23  Show Profile Send Janky a Private Message
I am a jammeh through marriage but my hubby is mandinka and I thought that jammeh's were jola's

Janky
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  16:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
sister janky ,now we have both jolas and mandinka as jammeh .we are talking historical. but if you know your father as jola and he is jammeh then he is jola regardless of the historical issues .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

Go to Top of Page

sisay

48 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  15:42:22  Show Profile Send sisay a Private Message
This is what I learned about the Manneh and Sanneh family names. The traditional Mandinka song "Keddo" tells the story of the warbetween Ngaabu and the Fula people during the time of Mansa Janke Wali. It praises the Manneh and Sanneh families which are descendents of Tiramakang Traoray. Another song where you can hear this praise of Manneh and Sanneh families is "Tiramakang", who many of you will know was instrumental in not only assisting the Manding army in the famous battle of Kirina, but is also credited for continuing Westward and defeating the Wolof king, who was believed to be an ally of the defeated enemy, Sumanguru Kantay. He completed his journey in Ngaabu.

Incidentally, I later heard that while hunting in Kansala, Tiramakang overheard a sweet sound coming from the caves, where a female spirit was playing a beautiful stringed instrument. So beautiful it was that he immediately asked his hunting companions, Waly Kelenjan and Jalimady Ulay Jobateh to retrieve it for him. Tiramakang named the instrument "Kora" and presented it to Jalimady Ulay Jabateh who later increased the number of strings on the instrument from 7 to 21. He passed the instrument on to his son, Kamba, and in this way it was passed through the generations until Tilimakan Jobateh introduced it to Mali. Thus the Kora became an instrument that many Jalis play today all over Manding.

But please check this information with a knowledgable Jali. This is but one version told to me. There may be others.

Peace

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  11:53:24  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
sisay ,are you a jali ? kora is mysterious then .i never though it like that .what about the gitar or the tranboline or flute ? i don't aggree with this legend stories of kora. it is an imagination of some great jali period. what about the drum or any other instrument of music ?

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  14:21:40  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Santanfara,
There might be some truth. We know about Jeli Madi Wullen. We know he was the first person to play the kora and the first song of the kora was KURUNTU KELEFA(KELEFA BA SANNEH. I would refder you to www.jalikunda.se choose the English version and read. Otherwise I can give you the tel.number of Jali Alhaji M'bye who is an authority in giriot history.
Go to Top of Page

mansasulu

997 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  15:03:45  Show Profile Send mansasulu a Private Message
I think there are Jammehs who are serer, but speak mandinka, hence the 'kunya' (name)JILANKA because of the association of serers to fishing. You can find these Jammehs mainly in Baddibu, Illiassa to be precise. I may be wrong but could someone throw more light on this please.

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allâh do hearts find rest..." Sura Al-Rad (Chapter 13, Verse 28)

...Gambian by birth, Muslim by the grace of Allah...
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  16:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
i know some jammeh's from farafeni they are not serere . also the famous mama tamba jammeh is not serere unless as you said they speak mandinka but are serere .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

mansasulu

997 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  18:59:55  Show Profile Send mansasulu a Private Message
Yeah I mean they speak mandinka but as serer in their origins. I think Tamba's ancestors originally came from Sine in senegal. By the way, I do know some Jammehs in Farrafeni as well.

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allâh do hearts find rest..." Sura Al-Rad (Chapter 13, Verse 28)

...Gambian by birth, Muslim by the grace of Allah...
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  14:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
I heard that dibba and gibah are the same but prounce different .also badjie and bajo are also the same .the narator states that this difference of pronouncement came about as a result of settlement.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

sisay

48 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  15:41:35  Show Profile Send sisay a Private Message
Santanfara, I am not a Jali but I have spoken to many. That is why I say, talk to a Jali - they may confirm this or tell you something new. That is what I have been told about kora. Our history is always told with magic and beauty. Listen to the story of Sunjata. You may not believe it, but that is our history. It relates more to a time when everyone believed in more than just what they could verify with their own eyes or by scientific deduction. The same can be said of the bible, except that our history was never written in this way.

You ask about the history of other instruments so I will share with you what I know from the Jalis.

The first owner of the bala (xylophone) was the Soso king Sumanguru Kante. He was a sorceror, a Numu (blacksmith) and of course he was the enemy of Sunjata Keita, the founder of Manding. One night he had a dream where some spirits showed him this instrument. After this dream he built the first bala (the name bala means "talking wood"), but he forbade anyone to touch it on pain of death. Even if a fly landed on it and was seen, the fly had to die! But one day a musician in his court, Jakama Dua, saw it and had to play it. He became bewitched by the beautiful sound. Sumanguru walked back angrily to the room where the man was playing but he too became bewitched by the sound because this man was so skilled at playing it. So he decided to make him the guardian of this instrument. He named the man Balafa Seck Kuyateh. This great Jali ancestor later became the Jali for Sunjata Keita and composed several well known songs. Kuyateh is the first Jali clan and all the greatest Jali (those who were given the title "Konkoba") were from this clan. Of course there are other very fine Jalis from other clans like Jobateh and others, but as far as I have been told, no Jali from any other clan had the title Konkoba bestowed upon him.
Go to Top of Page

sisay

48 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  15:44:56  Show Profile Send sisay a Private Message
I will ask about some other musical instruments. However, I have found a lot of stories about the drum. I will share them next time as it is getting very late.

Peace
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06