Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 Nko kumo....meaning of our common words
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  17:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
Futuwoo (mandinka for marraige) but what does it entail...
My thinking is that, the first word fuu (to lend) Tuwoo (to stay or remain permanently).
Hence Futuwoo use to denote seriousness...In essence the family of the woman allow their daughter to marry but on condition that, the man behaves if not, futuban, the lending period ends.
Futuwo (a lending that is continous)
I may be wrong..

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  21:52:24  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Santa,sounds a really good way of doing things,from your own personal knowledge how many bride's families do you know who have taken their daughter back because of the husband's behaviour ? Is this practice a reallity or just all show,bearing in mind that SOMETIMES dowery payments are made even in the 21st century.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  23:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

Santa,sounds a really good way of doing things,from your own personal knowledge how many bride's families do you know who have taken their daughter back because of the husband's behaviour ? Is this practice a reallity or just all show,bearing in mind that SOMETIMES dowery payments are made even in the 21st century.

Toubab, you are making me laugh. Sometime it is not the actual pratice that matters but the concept behind the idea. Times have change. Words were use for definite intentions but circumstances change, hence meaning changing as well. Let us the word Gay for instance.
As an old boy, what do you think when the English use to say "happy and gay"?
Now consider what the word denotes...
dowry payment is similar to ring exchanges in your custom, why give a ring to the bride and groom give as well. This are part of the legimatisation process. However, here I am limiting the chat to word usage. Cheers. Happy and Gay..

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  23:24:26  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Ah....Santa I understand,it used to happen in the good old days,but not anymore,the ring when it is given in UK is given as a sort of love token to the BRIDE not to the inlaws for their use.I do understand that dowries in Gambia are still sometimes given and sometimes returned to the bride in the form of pots sewing machines TVs and the like as presents from the inlaws who have no money,bearing in mind of course that the future husband has to keep the inlaws happy.
Gay as used in English now has a dual meaning but as you rightly say in common usage relate to homosexuals and not to the feeling of having fun and being happy as in days gone past,which for me were much better than today.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 01 Apr 2011 23:31:42
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11599 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  07:11:57  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Toubab, it is true some inlaws are asking those things but for your information, it is a custom for some families to only ask for 50 bututs (0.5 dalasi).
This is simbolic like the ring or whatever they give in any other culture.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  13:16:29  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Momodou,I read what you say and hate to disagree with you,a Gambian and me a toubab,but I think that a symbolic gift of 50b for a bride would be taken as a great insult by the family and the bride to think that she was only worth 50b,(unless she was VERY ugly!)Just think what the family would think not to mention the neighbours.

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  13:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
Toubab
I think you demonstrate a complex implication of a Westerner's narrative of something far more delicate than a mere inter-polation of cultures.
People give rings here in the West, remember some of us are/were married to Westerners and thus know the fabrick of the western culture and tradition.
A bride's gift that is done in many other non-Western society is actually out of demonstrating a man's readiness and seriousness on a would be bride.
Just like a ring can cost £20,000 depending on earning power and social status, the man give a gift according his capability.

The bride gift is for the bride to use in her beaitification process. However, this is not a rigid condition per say. Two people who love each other, the lady knows the man's earning power. She can decide to say, all i need is a ring and that will do.
The whole concept is a symbolic gesture, not a means for financial gains which is how you tend to be leaning.
The value of a ring may not matter to some, just like the amount of money a man gives. it is his efforts that counts. In fact, in the rural areas, the man hardly pays anything, all the parents require is respect and dignity for them and their daughter. So in both a western case and east/African case, it is the gesture that matters.
SOme western women can actually go and value a ring, does that mean if the ring is £10 the man doesn't value her? or that, she is ugly?
Come on, let us not place our customs where they are not suited.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11599 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  15:12:09  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Toubab, you can never understand because you already have a preconceived mind that the 50b is the price of a human being.
Don't you agree that it's very easy for a family to refund the 50b than to have to pay back a TV, Sewing machine or other expensive dowry back to the husband if the woman decide to have a divorce?

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  16:02:02  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
I understand that 50b is a nominal sum and that if love really exists between the two bride and groom fine and if ALL are happy then again fine,BUT if the man has considerable wealth then what I have said previously must apply,in no way was I implying that 50b was the value of any human being,its all about perception in the eyes of those involved.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  16:10:10  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Santa I agree with all that you have written here and have no arguement with your words,I think its perhaps best for me to say that both Western and African marriage practices have many components that are mearely symbolic,it is unfortunate that you appear to have taken the view that I percieve ALL African marriages relate to money,but it is also true to say that some do,just the same as in the west.

quote:
Originally posted by Santanfara

Toubab
I think you demonstrate a complex implication of a Westerner's narrative of something far more delicate than a mere inter-polation of cultures.
People give rings here in the West, remember some of us are/were married to Westerners and thus know the fabrick of the western culture and tradition.
A bride's gift that is done in many other non-Western society is actually out of demonstrating a man's readiness and seriousness on a would be bride.
Just like a ring can cost £20,000 depending on earning power and social status, the man give a gift according his capability.

The bride gift is for the bride to use in her beaitification process. However, this is not a rigid condition per say. Two people who love each other, the lady knows the man's earning power. She can decide to say, all i need is a ring and that will do.
The whole concept is a symbolic gesture, not a means for financial gains which is how you tend to be leaning.
The value of a ring may not matter to some, just like the amount of money a man gives. it is his efforts that counts. In fact, in the rural areas, the man hardly pays anything, all the parents require is respect and dignity for them and their daughter. So in both a western case and east/African case, it is the gesture that matters.
SOme western women can actually go and value a ring, does that mean if the ring is £10 the man doesn't value her? or that, she is ugly?
Come on, let us not place our customs where they are not suited.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11599 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  16:19:33  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Toubab, I have seen people who give oil tankers as a wedding gift (I very often visit ship owners in southern Europe) but this topic is not about that. I believe Santanfara's topic is about the Mandinka word for marriage and the seriousness of the word. There are conditions attached to the act of marriage and that the lending period can end if the parties are not compatible.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  16:57:02  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Havn't got a spare full oil tanker tied up somewhere I suppose ?

I understand your logical mind (knowing about computer programming you must have !)and I accept the interpritation that you put on the topic, that it's really about the accepted use of words and my postings were an unnecessary branch off that topic that hit the buffers.

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

Toubab, I have seen people who give oil tankers as a wedding gift (I very often visit ship owners in southern Europe) but this topic is not about that. I believe Santanfara's topic is about the Mandinka word for marriage and the seriousness of the word. There are conditions attached to the act of marriage and that the lending period can end if the parties are not compatible.

Go to Top of Page

mansasulu

997 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  15:24:23  Show Profile Send mansasulu a Private Message
Santa, I believe Futuwoo could have another meaning. "Fuu" also means lack of seriousness "Tuu" means to leave. Hence Fuutuwoo could mean entering a stage of been responsible.

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allâh do hearts find rest..." Sura Al-Rad (Chapter 13, Verse 28)

...Gambian by birth, Muslim by the grace of Allah...
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  16:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mansasulu

Santa, I believe Futuwoo could have another meaning. "Fuu" also means lack of seriousness "Tuu" means to leave. Hence Fuutuwoo could mean entering a stage of been responsible.

Mansa
You have unlocked the real point. I was not looking at it from that end. I agree totally with that narrative. To leave playfulness (Fuu woo tuu) The words may have been extended...Thanks brother.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  19:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
Interesting and titling

I have a word in mind for a long time now; please help me to decode its components, just as Santanfara did above.
The word is Koodoh

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  22:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Janko

Interesting and titling

I have a word in mind for a long time now; please help me to decode its components, just as Santanfara did above.
The word is Koodoh

Janko
My hunch is, Doh is work, koo (they said)
The word may have a connection with work to earn.. koh doh, they said work, from work you get the money.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06