Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 GAMBIAN TRADITIONAL FAMILY NAMES
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Momodou

Denmark
11602 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  19:58:06  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Santanfara, does this mean that both Ceesay and Touray like to eat too much? Chickens and bulls

Are you sure about your history lessons? The Ceesays got their name from hiding in our chicken houses.
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  20:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

Santanfara, does this mean that both Ceesay and Touray like to eat too much? Chickens and bulls

Are you sure about your history lessons? The Ceesays got their name from hiding in our chicken houses.

momodou ,well i knew some one will pounce on us . but interestingly that is the truth. the camara's use to provide lots of protein for the ceesays.
the cousin relationship between the tourays and sanyangs was so serious we couldn't intermarry for fear that we may incure each other anger. the relationship is very close .they said the sanyangs where good fighters in days gone but the Tourays did there ground work for them and logistics ,so one day there was no food for the people eat but a sanyang kunda man feel that his moro shouldn't get hungry so he slice his thigh to feed the touray kunda man ,the touray man never realise what meat he ate untill after he finished .then bandage sanyang kunda man reveal to him what he did .they swore to each other never to betray each other and never cause each other to be angered. yes interesting things happen. we are not canibals by all means .it was loyalty and friendship in its highes form. sorry the sanyangs .you are great men .
i also know camara's who still have bees as secret weapon .believe me this are ancent secrets .if you go to kuwonku in sandu ,they have bees which they use when they are at war ,this are camara's .so you too momodou camara have some things in the closet

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  11:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
another jahanka many name is JABBI .but last year our president yahya jammeh claim that jabbi was jammeh . he said mandinkas are not a tribe but from jolas .so he went on to say all jammeh's are jolas and jabbi was from jammeh .
but jabbi is in actual fact a mandinka/jahanka word .the word JABBITA meant answered .example ,when some one prayed for you to have a good forutune and coincidentally the thing happen ,mandinkas and jahankas would say the prayer is answered thus ah jabita .
i was also informed of a family name used in the basse region call BAYANG .i don't know the full meaning of this name but i will dig deep .
the most pursling family name is JALLOW .the pul futas have a word for been quick to mean jaielo .
my fula brothers and wolof brothers are very quiet regarding there own family names .this is apolitical so feel free very to educate us.
i will also look for the meaning of CHAM .in sukuta ,this family name is very common .but most wolof also use it .
as for BOJANG .bojang is pretty straight forward. BO IS banbo tree ,and jang is long .there you have it.
brother kondo also told us what conta means earlier. conta came from camara .when the camaras where running from war in manding they device a strategy to protect the children and elderly. they form a circle and all the weaklinks are encircle and protected ,which is how the monkey use to move about.so when people ask them on there way what are you doing ,they will say nka contama .thus that group of camara's became conta ,famous conta is the reggae musician demba ,now he cut off his dread locks.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

Go to Top of Page

njucks

Gambia
1131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  22:39:02  Show Profile Send njucks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

i missed that perhaps i was busy praying. Santanfara a little bit of history for you, there was a time in some parts of the country, Camaras were not allowed to eat with their hands during meals.Spoons were especially reserved for them!
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  08:47:45  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Santanfara,
Bro, there is a village called KAFUTA. Do you know how the name came about and arround what time did people come to this settelment? Why was it started?
I have a lecture to give soon during one of our cultural festivals in the north of Sweden and the lecture is going to be about how some of our villages and towns in (Africa)the Gambia got their names.
Is there anybody from Kafuta to give me more information?
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  10:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
ALHASAN , may be kondorong can shed some light. i a non kombonka so i wil strugle with the kombo area. we can find out.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  12:36:51  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Santanfara

ALHASAN , may be kondorong can shed some light. i a non kombonka so i wil strugle with the kombo area. we can find out.

Santanfara,
Thanks for your reply Santa. I hope Kons would do so. He is too awear of the Kombo history.
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  20:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
Be careful not to throw the baby with the birth water.

SINGATEH
Sii = Sit
Nga = let us or let’s
Teh = Break (Tijo teh = to break the nut, separating the nuts from the shell)

JAMBA
Jamboh = leaf (jambo)

Jambato tijo = groundnuts for cooking a specific herb/leaf stew
Sii nga teh = sit let´s break it

When the men came they found the women breaking the ground nuts.
Then the women told the men -sit let’s break it, it’s for the stew.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  23:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
janko ,are you trying to cover the past of the singhateh's ? .well , i got my sources from a famous singhateh in england .if you dispute his narration i will have to sue him .you may be right but he too may say it is from the horses mouth. you are a camara ,aren't you ?

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  23:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
njucks ,may be that is why momodou travel with spoon all the time. you are right . i still eat with my hand. it is more enjoyable. i will ask our western brothers and sisters to try using their hands. and tell us how you enjoy the meal .bev ,you try first since you are more
bristish like ,then anna ,kiwi ,jack ,scot meme etc.hand eating for just one meal .in islam we say there is more baraka in eating with bare hands than spoon .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

MADIBA

United Kingdom
1275 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  00:11:56  Show Profile Send MADIBA a Private Message
I have ceesay kunda here who told me why Touray-Kunda prefer using their hands. Pls dnt hide behnd Islam to justify ur use of the hand.

He also told me that one Mr. Touray during ramadan ordered his wife to close the blinds to enable him eat deep into the morning

madiss
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  10:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message

Yes, Kamara, kontaa kira, forro gia babungna

Maternal parentage is the Singatehs from Wuli Foday kunda, Bassending, Kabakama, Bansang, George Town and Badibou.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  23:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Janko

Yes, Kamara, kontaa kira, forro gia babungna

Maternal parentage is the Singatehs from Wuli Foday kunda, Bassending, Kabakama, Bansang, George Town and Badibou.

Janko , i didn't have time to verify your version of the meaning of singhateh. i will get my side sorted very soon .you seems to be highly cultural ,add more meanings if you have .we have been provided with the forum to educate each other so let us do it. life is not all about politics.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  12:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MADIBA

I have ceesay kunda here who told me why Touray-Kunda prefer using their hands. Pls dnt hide behnd Islam to justify ur use of the hand.

He also told me that one Mr. Touray during ramadan ordered his wife to close the blinds to enable him eat deep into the morning

madi ,you may be right.people say the touray's eat a lot .
interesting enough ,the surname bayang is all over the place. bayang can be found in canada ,us ,mali ,ethopia and even in asia. i google the family name and i could not believe how this remote gambian/senegal family name is widely used. how is this possible ? bayan is mension also in surah al rahman .i cannot say what it meant but it is widely use. try to google camara or jallow or your own surname. you may be surprised. i will try googling kondorong and see what happen

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  12:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
bayang in flipino means joyful .there is band name after it. in mandinka bayanyo is a some thing the blacksmits hold hot metal with. i am not saying this is what that surname meant .but there are over 15 pages when i google it.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06