Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 GAMBIAN TRADITIONAL FAMILY NAMES
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

LEMON TIME

Afghanistan
1295 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  00:00:00  Show Profile Send LEMON TIME a Private Message
How about the AKUS and MANJAKOS aye?I will call Jaliba KUYATEH to clear the air.

There is no god but Allah
Go to Top of Page

LEMON TIME

Afghanistan
1295 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  00:42:32  Show Profile Send LEMON TIME a Private Message
Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYYaTdfO7mw

There is no god but Allah
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  09:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LEMON TIME

How about the AKUS and MANJAKOS aye?I will call Jaliba KUYATEH to clear the air.

lemon , we are including every gambian family names .we did mension the manjakos ,they are native gambians like any other tribe . but most njako surmanes like the akus are drawn from the west like gomez ,johnson etc . we need all of them .omega have solve the pusle for Njie and Bah and am suer Alahasan and some of the bah kunda should be grateful . we need comfirmation about all the answers provided by me or any contributor . bah means soul ,njie means lion .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  16:34:56  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Santanfara,
It is in the region of SeneGambia that Njie is the LION. But NJie means commodities for sale. I said it before and now again.
When the JULAS came from Mali, they found the Serer in the region of Saloum. The Serer could not pronounce the names of the Bambara so they came to have Njie as they were all sales men and women.
Njie the Lion is from my great great grandfather Samba Lawbeh Njie , who followed MAM BOROM TOUBA(MAM BAMBA) to the mountains in Gabon when he was sent there by the french colonialists because of his peaceful resistance. I suggest you make reference if possible in
DJURBEL in Senegal where BAMBA comes from. I have been there in serch of my relatives. This is very intresting.
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  17:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
interesting ,we have two different meanings for njie . the one Alhasan give is closer to the wolof word for sale than what sister omega provided .we need a second opinion from elders .which one is accurate ? njie goods for sale or soul .i stand with goods for sale as manke njaye malou meaning am selling rice .may be sister omega can provide evidence of her version which may overide alhasan's version .we are learning .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

Go to Top of Page

Naraloo

16 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  18:14:12  Show Profile Send Naraloo a Private Message
Many English family names are derived from the trade or profession. Maybe the same logic applies to Gambian names?
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  23:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Naraloo

Many English family names are derived from the trade or profession. Maybe the same logic applies to Gambian names?

you are right naralo , but the sad thing is we don't know what most of our family names meant. even my young fula uncle dalton cannot say what sow meant

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

ylowe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2007 :  01:34:10  Show Profile Send ylowe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Janko

Here is the meaning of mine

The family name Kamara or Camara
Ka = to
Mara = control, have power over, be in command of, rule

An african american friend of mine changed his last name to Kamara and when asked about the meaning he stated "a teacher" i think janko is right cause it is pretty close to his definition. bye
Go to Top of Page

njucks

Gambia
1131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  22:43:15  Show Profile Send njucks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alhassan

It is in the region of SeneGambia that Njie is the LION. But NJie means commodities for sale. I said it before and now again.

Njie the Lion is from my great great grandfather Samba Lawbeh Njie , who followed MAM BOROM TOUBA(MAM BAMBA) to the mountains in Gabon when he was sent there by the french colonialists because of his peaceful resistance. I suggest you make reference if possible in

Santanfara dont allow yourself to be carried away by this nonsense from Alhassan. Just follow the logic of this argument. when Julas (traders) came from Mali and Serign Touba been exiled!???? i think he is confused

Serign Touba is very recent. he died in 1927, was exiled to Gabon from 1895-1903. perhaps Alhassan wants us to believe

1. That before 1890 there were no Njies
2. or that migration into the Senegambia starting in the late 19th Century.
3. and that between 1900 and 2007, there have been several generations in his family?

Furthermore in Wollof when you sell its 'Jaie' (verb), and the person selling is a 'Jaie-kat'(noun). the good your're selling or the goods being sold or purchased can be called 'njaie'. also the verb to jump over something can be 'njie' too.

so this theory, simple doesnt hold water.
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  22:51:50  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Njucks,
That is your opinion. Hold on to it.
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  23:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
njucks ,we are sharing our little knowledge here so it is timely for you to also intervene. we need more rational answers. i don't have much time to scrutinise many answers so let us all put our heads together. thanks any way.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  10:34:15  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Santanfara

njucks ,we are sharing our little knowledge here so it is timely for you to also intervene. we need more rational answers. i don't have much time to scrutinise many answers so let us all put our heads together. thanks any way.

Santanfara,
You are quite right. I suggest Njucks come up with his facts and stop this undisareable attacks as I am confused. Njucks you are free and welcomed to contribut without a short temper. We do not share the same political views, but that cannot change history. We are rembering our oral history. It is better you post the correct versons. I do not say that what I posted is the correct verson.

Edited by - Alhassan on 05 Jun 2007 11:54:44
Go to Top of Page

njucks

Gambia
1131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  21:35:41  Show Profile Send njucks a Private Message
ok ok, i agree we are learning from each other, more me from you, so i was just trying to kindly remind you to be more consistent.

if you look at the text you wrote before there were many things wrong with it and thats what i tried to point out, and i suppose you will accept that you can/should be criticised.

history itself depends on who writes it or in this case which version is passed on.
Go to Top of Page

Sibo

Denmark
231 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  11:00:53  Show Profile Send Sibo a Private Message
Mr. Santafara

Can you tell me what Drammeh means, if it has any meaning???
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  19:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sibo

Mr. Santafara

Can you tell me what Drammeh means, if it has any meaning???

sister sibo ,sorry for the delay in answering your question. DRAMMEH is usually a jahanka family name . i will contact some people for more accurate meaning .
i have the meanings of some family name ,mostly use by the badibunkas.
SINGHATEH ,this family name means in mandinka sing ngha teh .or sii ngah teh in english (seat let me brake it) .the singhateh's ancestor where also of the brutal type .they use to make others labour for them ,thus the mandinka word sii which mean (sit) ,ngha teh mean (let me do it for you) .i am not being sacastic .i respect every gambian family name but this is what i am told the family name means.

another common gambian family is ceesay .what is CEESAY .the ceesay's are of the marabout class or the learned class .the family name was drive from the fact that the ceesay where usually provided a gift of cee say .cee say in mandinka is chicken .people welcome important persons by slaughtering a chicken for them and cook it. so the founder of ceesay family name was always welcome with a chicken ,so the name ceesay came about.
ceesay is a very common family name .

now coming to TOURAY .well that is my own family name .what can we say about touray ? they said the touray family name may have come from the mandinka word toubo which means to reppent .now the mandinkas like using such words to the marabout class .i reppent to you .is not like that of reppent to God .it is that of according honour and respect .ntoubi ta ,thus touray .the ray come to means the family .some say touray may mean toura which is a bull .they said touray originator was a great man ,so whereever he goes people provide a cow for him as a welcome gift. but i am with first option which is toubo .

the female members of singahteh is jamba .this is interesting .among some mandinka families ,the females take a different family name different from that of the males. what is jamba ? JAMBA means jam ban ta ,it is finish in english .people are of the opinion that jamba came about because the women work and males rest ,so if the women finish a task they wil announce in a loud word jam ban ta this area is completed. but many refute that claim .the acceptable answer is the workers amoung the males will send the women to announce to the head of the family that a certain task is completed.
another family name use in bolong or upper apart of the gambia river is danjo .DANJO means dan jo .dan means to cease jo mean to repay or pay .so danjo means cease paying .i don't have the historical background of the family name. some may have other answers feel free to refute my answers. thanks .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06