Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Science and Technology Forum
 Science and Technology
 Open Source software
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  19:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
When Oracle bought Sun Microsystems it got a lot of stuff it wanted and a few things that were less desirable. Turns out OpenOffice is one of the latter (I guess Ellison figures free software won't do much to finance a new yacht). The OpenOffice volunteers have gone independent, starting what they call The Document Foundation. OpenOffice (which is actually called OpenOffice.org) will be renamed LibreOffice.

You can follow their progress at http://www.documentfoundation.org and grab a beta copy of libre office if you like to tinker.

Speaking of open source, my favorite linux distro: ubuntu has just release version 10.10 for the desktop, server, netbook and cloud service. It has some nifty and intriguing enhancements. I am hooked. I am not a total "freetard" because I am running Ubuntu on a Mac using parallels. However, I love the open source ecosystem. Give Ubuntu a whirl and you may not go back to windows. It is free...you have nothing to lose here. Check them out at: http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://Gambian.blogspot.com

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  20:38:23  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Oracle! Yeah they suk! This company has no clue. lol. And I would not think anyone using ubuntu here other than me!

diaspora! Too many Chiefs and Very Few Indians.

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.
Go to Top of Page

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  20:55:47  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
I have been using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (Ubuntu 4.10). At one point dual booting with Suse Linux. I have since settled on Ubuntu with the Gutsy Gibbon version. I don't know how far back you can access the archives here, but I have written about Ubuntu on this forum before. It is good to meet another Ubuntu enthusiast. I am open o tips Turk. Is Ubuntu your primary machine? Just curious.

Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  21:28:56  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Ousman - I am no enthusiast of Ubuntu or in general IT sector. You know, you got to do what you have to do to pay your bills. Ubuntu is not my primary machine. I am working on several development environment for clients. I have not noticed any of your posts about Ubuntu. To be honest, I am active on this forum to escape from IT world as I work for the IT company that 'sck'. And talk about Gambia I like very much. My ideal job would be working on some development project at UTG.

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.
Go to Top of Page

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  21:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
I am trying to figure out how far back you can peruse the archives here. Where is Mr. Camara when you need him :)? I was conversing with NJucks and others on Ubuntu a while back on this forum. Talking of Njucks, I wonder where he is. I wish I can tell you that I have no affinity for IT and I am doing it to pay bills. On the contrary, I love it. But much respect in your take on it. Does the UTG have any technology programs? I was under the impression that most of their programs are geared towards the humanities. That goes to show how much I know about UTG.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  21:58:09  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Just search for Ubuntu in the Archived posts and you we see all the topics.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  22:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
Thank you..... you are a life saver Mr. Camara.

Turk here is a link to the initial post I wrote on Ubuntu in 2007: http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4679&SearchTerms=ubuntu

Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  00:24:31  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Njucks is a nice guy, show up here once in a while. Good for you that you love the IT sector. I like teaching, socializing with people and reading about social sciences. UTG has technology programs but they are very behind (UTG). I would love to lecture there. There is another post secondary institution GTTI.

wooooow. I read the thread. Seem like you really like ubuntu. What is your specialty? I am more into Java/Oracle software development....

Edited by - turk on 14 Oct 2010 00:25:26
Go to Top of Page

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  03:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
Turk,
I am a system/network guy. The grunts...lol. I have a rudimentary knowledge of C , C++ and Cobol. Yeah that Cobol. Java is interesting, and I heard easy to grasp, but i have not had a chance to acquaint myself with that ubiquitous language. Lately, I have transitioned into health informatics. You observation is right: I like Ubuntu.

Edited by - Ousman on 14 Oct 2010 03:04:22
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  04:17:00  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Cobol something I studied ages ago. At uni! Did not like that much. I am fluent with C, C++, Java, JavaScript and SQL.

Go to Top of Page

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  16:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
Turk,
COBOL is still a mainstay in a lot of mainframe environments. That old workhorse is been used to write for old legacy systems that big businesses refuse to give up due to cost, but most importantly,because they are so damn stable.

Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  16:59:05  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
That is true. I don't know Cobol much but I have worked on an Java/Oracle based export/import interface to/from AS-400. I agree that is stable. But I still prefer systems that are better fit for the 'web based' applications as I am a new breed programmer started not long ago.

Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
661 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  17:30:06  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
AS-400? A server? I thought that was something very old-fashioned as my former company introduced it as a novelty around 1989

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  17:58:40  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Kiwi - Still running like a wild horse. Still being used.

Go to Top of Page

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  21:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
There are a few of those 1988-89 iterations of AS 400s chugging along. The line has been upgrade in the decades since. I think they are part of the IBM i series. I maybe wrong about their integration with the i series.

Go to Top of Page

njucks

Gambia
1131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  17:25:54  Show Profile Send njucks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ousman
Talking of Njucks, I wonder where he is.

hi Ous,

i'm around read the bantaba 2/3 time a day. well i'm a SUSE fan and lately i've been using an old version of Opensuse that needs serious upgrading.

i have Open Office on both suse/windows too. thanks for the info and link, i'll follow-up on Libre Office.

does that mean StarOffice by Sun is dead as well. i used to be curious about it.

i've tried ubuntu before but stuck to the SUSE cos i liked the KDE envr. but maybe you'll convert me cos i'm hearing a lot about it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06