Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Halifa Sallah: Has OJ lost Focus?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  19:48:30  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Statement Issued By Halifa Sallah in Response To Omar Jallow

Has OJ lost Focus?

I am compelled by necessity to change my decision not to have polemics with any opposition leader in public and respond to OJ’s call for the Opposition to apologise to the people because of the trend that is developing in the media which may ultimately lead to the contradictions of the first republic between PPP and PDOIS.
This is the Second Republic. APRC is in office and not the PPP which has never put up a candidate for any office for the past decade. As far as I am concern, all members of the PPP Government of the first Republic should now be elderly statesmen and women who may either play a mediating role among the opposition to promote progressive democratic change or remain politically neutral like Jawara who has an office which is allocated 5 Million Dalasi annually and is paid D52, 000 monthly as an ex president. There is no doubt that if he continues to maintain his neutrality any new Government would also maintain the same practice thus giving an incentive for Presidents to be honest and not have any fear of loosing office. At least, this is lesser in expenses than having corrupt presidents who struggle to remain in office for life.

Why has OJ lost focus?
The opposition parties and international observers who were present during the Presidential campaign and the election have all concluded that the abuse of incumbency is the main problem of the electoral system in the Gambia and unless this is nipped in the bud and the constitutional, institutional and administrative defects it had caused are fully remedied, a free and fair election in the Gambia cannot be guaranteed.

OJ who stayed in Europe until two days before the election is claiming that the Opposition is the problem and should be penitent for their alleged folly in not accepting his advice. In short, OJ is inciting hatred against an opposition which is at peace with itself and the Gambia people at large for a remarkable performance that made the incumbent and his camp jittery. OJ is diverting the attentions from the wrongdoings of the ruling party and focusing attention and casting blame on the opposition. In this respect, he is helping the ruling party and harming the opposition. This is the first point.

Secondly, since the establishment of the United Front and the UDP led Alliance no one has heard any opposition leader attacking the other in the media. They had focused on issues rather than personalities. When the two sides met in URR during the campaign period they embraced each other and wished each other well. Interestingly, it is only OJ who has written so far trying to prove that he was correct and others were wrong without offering any evidence to back how history has absolved him. In this respect too OJ has departed from the frontiers of National Interest and has sunk into ego centric frontiers. For the sake of National Interest all opposition parties focused on the ruling party during the campaign and did nothing to damage each others chances. Now OJ is doing everything to damage the opposition in this country by claiming that it is its own cause of electoral failure. In my view, he drew such conclusion because he has lost focus. In short, a person who is focused would not dwell on subsidiary issues while closing one’s eye on the fundamental aspects.

What should have been his focus?
The answer is simple. The main reason why opposition parties are dictated by necessity to sit down and negotiate how to establish a United Front is the undemocratic decision by the incumbent to utilise their parliamentary majority to amend the Constitution to eliminate the second round of voting. Hence if two or three popular candidates among the opposition stand they would divide the votes of the opposition and the incumbent could easy win an election. On the other hand, if the second round is constitutionally provided for it becomes advantageous to have many popular candidates to stand so that the incumbent would be deprived of more than 50 percent of the votes. In this way the person with the second largest votes could unite with the rest to defeat the incumbent. Hence forging alliances is not a principle but a tactic that is applicable in given situations. Alliances also have forms and each party has a duty to decide which form of alliance is most suitable for it. OJ has said that the most suitable form of alliance for him was the UDP led alliance and went on to say that Hamat had said that he would not join an Alliance he would not lead and that Halifa had stuck to his Agenda 2011 idea. According to him, he decided not to join any alliance and left the country until few days before an election to come and cast his vote for the candidate of his choice. This again shows that OJ prefers to write history as he wants it to be interpreted to absolve himself for dereliction of national duty and not as it actually happened, which would have clearly led to his historical indictment, thus obliging him to make a historical apology to his colleagues and the Nation at large. My honest opinion is that OJ found it inconvenient to focus on the facts and thus preferred to write fiction.

What is the true historical account?
The answer again is not complex. Despite the fact that PDOIS had called for a United Front for a period of three years when the UDP called for a meeting, barely three months before the presidential poll, to examine how to establish it, 7 opposition parties, including PDOIS, participated.
At the beginning of the talks in September, the UDP put across its proposal for a UDP led Alliance, which would give birth to a UDP led Government and a UDP majority seats at the National Assembly. There was complete tolerance and respect for divergent views.
It is not my prerogative to say what others like the NRP, GPDP, GMC and NADD representatives said. Since OJ mentioned my name and PDOIS’ position, it is necessary to clarify issues. OJ would recall that when the UDP proposed for a UDP led alliance that would enable it as the major party to establish a government, control the National Assembly and accommodate the ‘minor” political parties in cabinet and the National Assembly, I reacted by saying that if the UDP could win an election on the basis of such an alliance we had no objection in being an opposition patty under its rule. I emphasised that the facts on the ground as we in PDOIS saw it offered no possibility for any single party on its own platform or personality on one’s own merit, to win an election against the incumbent I indicated that to win an election we had to win over the support of those who were apathetic and those who supported the ruling party. I argued that a party led alliance would not be able to achieve that purpose. We made it clear that if one had a yellow box representing the UDP and a green box representing the APRC, those who would ordinarily vote for the UDP or the APRC would do so respectively. Those who would abstain would also do so. This was not a recipe for change.
PDOIS therefore proposed that we should put party loyalty aside and hold a convention to select one candidate who would head a transitional government that would serve only one five year term and hand over to a democratically elected government. In short, the transitional government would have the mandate to restore a multi party system that would lead to free and fair election that will not be contested by any incumbent. Hence there will be no abuse of incumbency. OJ is on record saying that a convention would have been the best instrument to determine a flag bearer but claimed that money and time did not permit us to take that route.
As the debate unfolded, PDOIS even proposed that the party which claims to have a majority could rely on the results of previous elections to demand for a larger representation than the rest at a convention held to elect a flag bearer. We even indicated that even though we could offer the United Front a credible candidate we may not particularly insist in putting up a candidate. What is most disappointing, OJ left the country to go abroad when the debate was still on. A lot of damage to the opposition was done by diverting the attention of the Diaspora to the essence of the debate as to which tactic was more likely to succeed and focus was put on the alleged conflict of personal interests and idiosyncrasies. The opposition and not the ruling party, which removed the second round of voting, was vilified.

Has History Proven OJ Right?

History teaches that at the end of our discussion a motion was put for a convention to be held to select a flag bearer. Five parties out of seven endorsed the convention. Only OJ’s representative indicated his support for a UDP led Alliance.
Eventually, GMC indicated that it was misrepresented and expressed its support for a UDP led Alliance. OJ also disowned the position of his representative at the talks and took a neutral position, despite the fact that many people considered the PPP and The GMC to have been allied to the UDP.
The end result is that a Convention was held despite OJ’s claim that time and resources would not permit its holding. A flag bearer was selected without any difficulty. The flag bearer also abandoned his position on a Party led United Front and accepted to be an Independent Candidate so that many people who would not ordinarily vote for him and his party would give him their support. OJ does not have any justification to criticise Hamat for initially stating that his party should lead an Alliance. He has accepted to subject himself to a free and fair election to be a candidate of a United Front and had accepted to leave his party to be n Independent Candidate, despite a vicious campaign by a Lawyer in the Diaspora who did everything to have his candidature rejected by the IEC. The UDP also went on with its Alliance and did hold its ground.
Most Gambians have agreed that the Campaign of the opposition was so effective that the incumbent no longer took victory for granted. He was just lucky that the Campaign period was short and the business community and the state resources gave him financial edge over the inadequately financed United Front.
The results are now out. UDP had 114,000 votes and 17 percent of the total votes cast. Its 2006 total has increased by 9000 votes. The United Front had 73,060 votes. The total number of votes NADD had in 2006 was 23,000 votes. The United Front has increased the number of votes as compared to NADD by 50,000 votes. Hence the incumbent must now be wary that a Convention could give rise to a formidable political opponent in election.

What then is the lesson that forces in the opposition that genuinely want change should learn?
The answer is a simple one.
The combined votes of the opposition in 2006 were 128,000 votes. The total number of the votes in 2011 is 183, 000 votes. The number of votes has increased by 55,000 votes. Over 45,000 of the votes were added by the United Front. Hence history has proven that a convention is a viable instrument to select a flag bearer in the absence of a second round of voting. This fact is incontrovertible.
History has therefore proven OJ wrong. The whole world is now calling for electoral reforms in the Gambia so that the second round of voting would be restored, the abuse of incumbency restrained and a more level ground for multiparty contest created before the National Assembly elections. OJ is best served to endorse the initiative which is borne by our practical participation in the process instead of sitting at a distance just to end up being a penitent observer of events after they have happened.

In my view, there is no basis to caution opposition parties regarding the consequences of division in fielding National Assembly candidates. Both the UDP Alliance and the United Front could be said to have acted in good faith thinking that the steps they had taken would yield the desired results. Such good faith has not given rise to any animosity during the campaign. I do not see how it could generate animosity after the opposition has seen with their naked eyes the electoral outcome of the omnipotence of an uncontrolled and unrestrained exercise of the power of incumbency in the face of a short campaign period and inadequate financial support. I am confident that each alliance has the mature leadership that would act in accordance with the enlightened interest of the people. Needless to say , despite the fact that it s likely that parties are going to contest parliamentary seats the voters should put their party allegiances aside and vote for candidates on the basis of merit.
In my view, OJ could best leave a legacy by being a constructive retired politician rather than be a judgmental reservist political player. On my part, even though I may not be able to resist a determined pressure for me to stand as a candidate in the National Assembly elections, what would have been best is for me to work on party building, develop language skills to be able to speak Fula, Jola, Serahule, French and Arabic fluently, transform my manuscripts into books and may be even link to Universities to get PHD in Sociology and Economics before engaging the APRC in full force in 2016. If the public could have given me this respite without feeling that I have abandoned them, I would clearly attain all I want to attain in life in these five years and devote the rest of my life to their civil, political, economic, social and cultural emancipation. Will this be possible? Time will tell.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Senegambia

175 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  23:14:53  Show Profile Send Senegambia a Private Message
Sallah, don't you think you're overreacting? :)

Tesito

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  23:21:53  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

MAY GOD ("BOROM DOLEH") ALWAYS GUIDE YOU AND ALL LEADERS OF PDOIS WITH WISDOM, PROTECT YOU FROM EVIL DESTRUCTIVE FORCES, GIVE YOU LONG LIFE, GOOD HEALTH AND OPEN THE FLOODGATES FOR SUCH CREDIBLE LEADERS LIKE YOURSELVES TO LEAD THE NATION!

Ameen!

Edited by - kobo on 16 Dec 2011 01:32:01
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  11:10:40  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
I think Halifa is becoming very intolerance to criticism. Anytime someone criticises him and the opposition he comes out swinging. This is nothing but an act of intolerance.

Once again there are so many grave mistakes that Halifa and others made during this elections which he is coming out now and justifying as a success.

To characterize the United Front with additional 50,000 votes to NADD's 23,000 is simply to live in denial.

To come out and tell Gambians who are trying to swallow the bitter pills of disgraceful defeat in the hands of Jammeh that opposition not attacking each other a success is simply to live in fantasy..

To blantantly tell Gambians that a convention was a success and it can achieve a successful election results is simply to continue to live in the same ideology of the 80s without regard to reality of the electoral reality.
If OJ should retire from politics (halifa), then honestly Halifa need to go as well. Halifa has spent more time on politics in Gambia during the last 20 years than anybody we know. He has recorded less success electorally than any other politician I know in Gambia.

The only elections Halifa was able to win was one that was boycotted by UDP and OJ never contested.

Electoral contest in Serekunda East for years proved that OJ is more of a dynamic politician than Halifa.

So for him to come out and start castigating OJ for simply stating his opinion is beyond comprehension.

Halifa, you are being intolerance to criticism just like you did against the Gambian Diaspora repeatedly.

Please spare the Gambia from another 2016 engagement of Jammeh with full force... It's not lack of a Phd but the approach.

It is time we call a Spade a Spade...

Baldeh,
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi
Visit http://www.gainako.com for your daily news and politics
Go to Top of Page

pasamba

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  19:18:57  Show Profile Send pasamba a Private Message
Demba,
I think calling a spade a spade is telling OJ the truth. For the second elections in a row, OJ will be be AWOL only to come back and ask people to apologize. Where was he during the last elections? He told the whole world that he was supporting the UDP only to stay away in the UK.
In as much as i may agree with you that, there may not have been a need to respond to this latest statement, we must also respect Halifa's right to respond. This is a fundamental human rights guaranteed to him too.
For the past five years, OJ has not engaged in any political activity, whether it is holding a rally or otherwise, until the Point newspaper visits him and then he makes this we should apologize nonsense.
What is stopping OJ from taking the lead?
Pasamba Jow

"True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  21:00:36  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message

Coach my friend, my concern here is how Halifa is coming across by responding to OJ. Remember it was Halifa who said we shouldn't sit in the Diaspora, not form our party and criticize them, the same Halifa accused everyone of us of aiding President Jammeh stay in power simply for being critical of his position on the issues...

Halifa is vying for public office and therefore he should be the subject of scrutiny and questioning were necessary... but time and again he comes across as being very bitter and intolerance to criticism. He in fact will abandon a conversation or fail to follow up because you don't agree with him...

It is really disturbing to see Halifa continue to act reactionary to simple criticism. Imagine if he was a President some day and people criticising him? I mean where is the tolerance for dissent?

Also Coach, there was nothing successing in the last elections except Jammeh's landslide victory. There was absolutely nothing to celebrate, NOT a Fragmented coalition that has been abandoned by the voters... They should spare us the agony and please not 2016 again, not with this group of opposition leaders including O.J and Halifa...

Baldeh,
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  21:36:11  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
DBaldeh strangely does not look at himself in the mirror; for losing identity (on his platform in political discourse and national issues) and having many faces (as an on-line journalist doubling up as a politician, became part of a political clan and partisan)? My advise to you dBaldeh you should work on your political analysis (for neutrality, non-partisan, fair and balance) before jumping into opinionated statements

Pasamba I was relaxing to take dBaldeh on his sickening notes again; and would not spare him to go scot free! dBaldeh and the likes of Mathew K.Jallow amongst so-called elites are part of the problems, divisive forces and not the solutions; demoralising opposition front as the strings O.J is pulling considered by Halifa Sallah as "he is helping the ruling party and harming the opposition"

In this statement in clear simple English; FACTS are presented on the political terrain, gave an account of our nature of politics, defended, clarified, exposed the lies, deception, and dis-ingenuous politicians during eleventh hour of campaign period

Sorry dBaldeh amongst other cohorts you will never escape ridiculing us with distortions and twisting of facts to score cheap political points for your despise to Halifa Sallah/PDOIS; always being manifested in Gambian on-line media; which also justify Halifa setting the records straight

Edited by - kobo on 16 Dec 2011 22:01:43
Go to Top of Page

pasamba

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  21:46:17  Show Profile Send pasamba a Private Message
Baldeh,
I hope that you and your ilk, who believe that the current opposition should step aside, will step up to the plate.

"True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  21:56:57  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
WHAT THEY ARE GOOD AT IS; COMMANDING DISSIDENTS AS GENERALS, HIGH-JACKING DISSENTING VOICES AND DOMINATING ON-LINE FORA AND MEDIA, CASTIGATING AND MOBILISING CHAOS, CIVIL UNREST DEMONSTRATIONS AND PEOPLES REVOLUTIONS PREMATURELY; TO FEED MORE OF DR. AMADOU JANNEH TO THE WOLVES

dBaldeh WITH DUE RESPECT I WON'T BOTHER MYSELF ANY MORE ON YOUR STUPID AND POISONOUS COMMENTS; AS HALIFA CAN DEAL WITH THEM IF THEY ARE BROUGHT TO HIS ATTENTION! SO PLEASE CONTACT HALIFA SALLAH AND STOP BACK-BITING OR THE BACK-STABBING?

YOU CAN'T GAG HALIFA TO REACT TO O.J'S STATEMENTS FOR THE PUBLIC TO DECIDE

Edited by - kobo on 16 Dec 2011 22:32:29
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  23:05:43  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message

Kobo, been there done that... I have been here defending Halifa several times... I don't see any trend or change for the interest of the country. I gave him all the benefit of the doubt and I see the same political commentary without end in sight. Common sense dictates that if you continue to do the same thing and yield no results, you should look to other alternatives... THIS IS NOT PERSONAL BUT NATIONAL.

Besides, you can call me anything you want, a Journalist, a political commentator or what not... ONE damn thing I know, I am a citizen first like anyone and I am entitle to opine on the issues and draw my own conclusions.

We are pass the era where citizens can be pinned down to one thing and constrained from even making comments on other things. Am an activist and it could be Journalist, political, Human rights, Women's rights and what not....

KOBO, For the record I have engage Halifa personally and have invited him to a debate. He is yet to honor my invitation... I promise to engage him with the utmost respect and on the issues exclusively!!! I shall await his response may be through this medium.

Finally, one thing we ought to get better at, something we criticise Jammeh for everyday, is to react and call people names when they disagree with us or our leaders. It diminishes our credibility to criticize others!!!!

I don't owe any loyalty to any party or leader and shall defend them when I see fit and oppose them when I see appropriate... I hope that is clear and I SHALL NOT CALL YOU NAMES REGARDLESS!!!

Have a great weekend.

Baldeh,

Edited by - dbaldeh on 16 Dec 2011 23:06:11
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  01:49:33  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Compelled to deal with these notes;

[quote]Originally posted by dbaldeh

I think Halifa is becoming very intolerance to criticism. Anytime someone criticises him and the opposition he comes out swinging. This is nothing but an act of intolerance.

Again disagree; as another defining moment arose for opposition trying to set records straight, necessitated Halifa Sallah to react to O.J's charges; dealing with issues as deemed necessary and to THE BEST OF HIS ABILITY AS A POLITICAL LEADER AT PUBLIC DISPOSITION ALWAYS !

WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE HALIFA AS BECOMING "INTOLERANT TO CRITICISM"; WHILST NATIONAL DEBATE CONTINUES ON THE ELECTIONS, OPPOSITION FRONT STRATEGIES AND INCUMBENCY?

Did you consider him "intolerant" pointing out that; " OJ is diverting the attentions from the wrongdoings of the ruling party and focusing attention and casting blame on the opposition"; "defects in system"; and exposing FACTS AND TRUTH; setting the records straight; for public awareness and informed decisions of ALL CITIZENS?

Once again there are so many grave mistakes that Halifa and others made during this elections which he is coming out now and justifying as a success.

dBaldeh!

This is what Halifa stated;

"OJ who stayed in Europe until two days before the election is claiming that the Opposition is the problem and should be penitent for their alleged folly in not accepting his advice. In short, OJ is inciting hatred against an opposition which is at peace with itself and the Gambia people at large for a remarkable performance that made the incumbent and his camp jittery. OJ is diverting the attentions from the wrongdoings of the ruling party and focusing attention and casting blame on the opposition. In this respect, he is helping the ruling party and harming the opposition. This is the first point."

Prior to elections I have been following you and amongst others that you thought UDP leader has made massive political gains, Jammeh already shaken and ready to have a tough elections; irrespective of political level-playing field lacked?

Furthermore we knew what you advocated for and which clan or front you belong before the elections? Are you telling us that your front amongst others had better strategy than what Halifa/PDOIS/United Front advocated for?

Can you share with us the many "grave mistakes that Halifa and others made during this elections"?

Achievements justifying it as a success is measured on some of the huddles (including forming a united front, selection of flag bearer and 11 days nation wide campaign), constraints (especially financial), the hostile political battle that opposition front confronted; and short period managed to came out with some thousands of votes from citizens at grass roots political activities; without any contribution coming from some of us living in disillusion abroad and always ranting?

As we (dissidents) are ALL in this together, can you share with us what have you contributed for opposition front to achieve any small success?

ARE THESE STATEMENTS BY HALIFA REFUTABLE;

"The opposition parties and international observers who were present during the Presidential campaign and the election have all concluded that the abuse of incumbency is the main problem of the electoral system in the Gambia and unless this is nipped in the bud and the constitutional, institutional and administrative defects it had caused are fully remedied, a free and fair election in the Gambia cannot be guaranteed."

To characterize the United Front with additional 50,000 votes to NADD's 23,000 is simply to live in denial.

"Denial" of what?

These statements extracted are relevant; "Hence forging alliances is not a principle but a tactic that is applicable in given situations. Alliances also have forms and each party has a duty to decide which form of alliance is most suitable for it. OJ has said that the most suitable form of alliance for him was the UDP led alliance and went on to say that Hamat had said that he would not join an Alliance he would not lead and that Halifa had stuck to his Agenda 2011 idea. According to him, he decided not to join any alliance and left the country until few days before an election to come and cast his vote for the candidate of his choice. This again shows that OJ prefers to write history as he wants it to be interpreted to absolve himself for dereliction of national duty and not as it actually happened, which would have clearly led to his historical indictment, thus obliging him to make a historical apology to his colleagues and the Nation at large. My honest opinion is that OJ found it inconvenient to focus on the facts and thus preferred to write fiction."

Halifa buttressed his points in a very nice elaborate way, so please re-visit these sections on statement and note his valid points (which you bent on to distort his views here) under these;

• "What is the true historical account?"

• "Has History Proven OJ Right?"

• "What then is the lesson that forces in the opposition that genuinely want change should learn?"

To come out and tell Gambians who are trying to swallow the bitter pills of disgraceful defeat in the hands of Jammeh that opposition not attacking each other a success is simply to live in fantasy..

"Attacking each other" in O.J's authoritative way and your way is not the solution but part of the problems!

To blantantly tell Gambians that a convention was a success and it can achieve a successful election results is simply to continue to live in the same ideology of the 80s without regard to reality of the electoral reality.

That's not true for its a Gambian problem to conspire and mobilise an effective campaign together and depose Jammeh/APRC! Convention/Primary was sensitized to Gambian opposition front ready to form a United (National) Front for over three years and the only policy that can enfranchised both national and international dissidents to select its flag bearer and support a common platform for opposition front; irrespective of party name or membership as the surest most vibrant national movement to boost opposition chances against Jammeh/APRC.

If OJ should retire from politics (halifa), then honestly Halifa need to go as well. Halifa has spent more time on politics in Gambia during the last 20 years than anybody we know. He has recorded less success electorally than any other politician I know in Gambia.

Many Gambians would dis-agree with your comments. Thre is no truth in it; and as Halifa is a living legend amongst other PDOIS members in Gambian politics!

The only elections Halifa was able to win was one that was boycotted by UDP and OJ never contested.

Did the UDP leader ever win an election; except 2011 (AS CLAIMED)? That's nature of Gambian politics and lots of factors came into play? We knew dynamics at play in any election results since PPP era and there is no time to deal with them here.

Electoral contest in Serekunda East for years proved that OJ is more of a dynamic politician than Halifa.

PPP days is over and don't take us backward; as we don't have time for that; and/or losing focus on Jammeh/APRC era?

Halifa's statements were that;

"OJ’s call for the Opposition to apologise to the people because of the trend that is developing in the media which may ultimately lead to the contradictions of the first republic between PPP and PDOIS.

This is the Second Republic. APRC is in office and not the PPP which has never put up a candidate for any office for the past decade. As far as I am concern, all members of the PPP Government of the first Republic should now be elderly statesmen and women who may either play a mediating role among the opposition to promote progressive democratic change or remain politically neutral like Jawara who has an office which is allocated 5 Million Dalasi annually and is paid D52,000 monthly as an ex presiden"

So for him to come out and start castigating OJ for simply stating his opinion is beyond comprehension."

"In my view, OJ could best leave a legacy by being a constructive retired politician rather than be a judgmental reservist political player"; because PPP is not contesting elections and virtually defunct during APRC era?

Halifa, you are being intolerance to criticism just like you did against the Gambian Diaspora repeatedly.

This is what you amongst others are good at and out of order for scoring cheap political points in media spotlight! Castigations and direct personal attacks without them comments reaching Halifa? A futile exercise!

Please spare the Gambia from another 2016 engagement of Jammeh with full force... It's not lack of a Phd but the approach.

Halifa knew his priorities as a mature politician, has his own private life and can decide how to take a break; if considered necessary. You appear to be over-stepping the marks by thinking you can decide Halifa's faith/destiny? Can you share with us better approach, strategy and/or tactic not exhausted by opposition parties to fought for Presidency; since they started taking decisions to contest under a United Front?

It is time we call a Spade a Spade...

Everyone is entitled to opinion; so in my opinion I don't appreciate your hate campaign, damaging Halifa's personality/profile and undermining his integrity as an outstanding politician and credible leader!

An opinion is just an opinion; as simple as that! However your approach is triggering another repeated cycle of what an erudite scholar stated post-election 2011 for Presidency that; "rather than looking reality in the face they were busy shouting each other down, casting aspersions, throwing jabs, undermining each other’s efforts" towards 2016? That directly apply to your ridiculous notes in guise of scrutiny; making a public figure held accountable, and/or compelled that figure to be gagged and accept any criticisms without a word

Also Coach, there was nothing successing in the last elections except Jammeh's landslide victory. There was absolutely nothing to celebrate, NOT a Fragmented coalition that has been abandoned by the voters... They should spare us the agony and please not 2016 again, not with this group of opposition leaders including O.J and Halifa...

Pasamba's fitting response is the right challenge which sated; "Baldeh, I hope that you and your ilk, who believe that the current opposition should step aside, will step up to the plate. "?

Its apparent that you cautiously picked O.J. and Halifa.... only; from the opposition leaders that lead opposition in 2011 elections to exposed your true colour, sneaky blame game, your agenda and the ones you want to felt appeased; at expense of hypocrisy, double standards, justice and other democratic principles?

Edited by - kobo on 17 Dec 2011 06:41:53
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  03:23:02  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by dbaldeh

Kobo, been there done that... I have been here defending Halifa several times... THIS IS NOT PERSONAL BUT NATIONAL.

"dBaldeh. AGAIN I DISAGREE THAT; YOUR TAKE ON HALIFA SALLAH IS "PERSONAL" GRIEVANCE AND "BUT NATIONAL" DECEPTIVE? Also Halifa has not committed any political crime that warrants to defend him. He is a PDOIS leader that has political responsibilities to advocate for, sensitise, defend and clarify its party position, policies, programmes and address national issues supported by sound reasoning and rational; which PDOIS leadership are well endowed to run the party.

However compelled by O.J's remarks in national media, Halifa responded accordingly and out of the blue you draw your own personal conclusions (with wrong judgement) just to tarnish his image and reputation on it! That's out of order and your opinion or notes are reflective of your own personal adverse comments; picking up a fight with Halifa/PDOIS (as a rival or enemy but not for national cause)?

I don't see any trend or change for the interest of the country. I gave him all the benefit of the doubt and I see the same political commentary without end in sight. Common sense dictates that if you continue to do the same thing and yield no results, you should look to other alternatives...

I have to lift this section above; as originally noted for there are incomplete statements (referring on Halifa's statements on "OJ lost focus"); were mixed up and had to try and digest them for responds and/or comments below?

"Trend.." of what "for the interest of the country" appears as an incomplete statement?

Also "change for the interest of the country" is a civic duty incumbent upon all of us (i.e. ALL ITS CITIZENS WORK TOGETHER ON AFFAIRS OF NATION)?

Halifa's (and party PDOIS) team always take the initiatives, being amongst leading vibrant political party dealing with any national/international issues very seriously, so I don't understand what you are trying to condemn and disapprove from your sweeping statement; especially "I gave him all the benefit of the doubt and I see the same political commentary without end in sight. Common sense dictates that if you continue to do the same thing and yield no results, you should look to other alternatives..."?

Those sweeping temperament statements derail topic and always diverts attention on topical discussion? For instance each weather conditions (be it summer, winter, rainy, etc) for its proper dress!

Besides, you can call me anything you want, a Journalist, a political commentator or what not... ONE damn thing I know, I am a citizen first like anyone and I am entitle to opine on the issues and draw my own conclusions.

Its more than that to you because you were all over the world with Senegambia on-line radio promoting UDP party-led alliance and in favour of a faction; with "Halifa" this and that and trying to seize rights of other citizens enfranchised?

We are pass the era where citizens can be pinned down to one thing and constrained from even making comments on other things. Am an activist and it could be Journalist, political, Human rights, Women's rights and what not....

Check your statement above and be fair to yourself on your notes in this topic; stepping in Halifa's shoes? Your activism is also to gag Halifa, cause harm to his reputation and damage his credibility as a good leader; for reacting to O.J's comments (directly concerning Halifa & opposition) in national media? So your statement "We are pass the era where citizens can be pinned down to one thing and constrained from even making comments on other things." also apply in fairness for Halifa's reactions?

KOBO, For the record I have engage Halifa personally and have invited him to a debate. He is yet to honor my invitation... I promise to engage him with the utmost respect and on the issues exclusively!!! I shall await his response may be through this medium.

That would be interesting! Please prepare a letter to engage him for debate (not for an interview) and forward copy to Bantaba?

Finally, one thing we ought to get better at, something we criticise Jammeh for everyday, is to react and call people names when they disagree with us or our leaders. It diminishes our credibility to criticize others!!!!

I said that you need to look at yourself in the mirror; as you appear to show many faces in the eyes of public? Are you a career journalist (non-partisan) or politician (a UDP militant, supporter and/or sympathiser)? I can understand that being a dissident national elite/intellectual its hard avoiding not to participate in political discourse, activism and militancy for our freedom, justice, rule of law and sound democracy; but it appears there are opportunist tendency suspicious on certain actions from your disposition during the heated last minute campaign on recent Presidency election 2011?

I don't owe any loyalty to any party or leader and shall defend them when I see fit and oppose them when I see appropriate... I hope that is clear and I SHALL NOT CALL YOU NAMES REGARDLESS!!!

AS ABOVE FOR DOUBLE STANDARDS AND CONSIDERED PART OF THE PROBLEMS FOR OPPOSITION FRONT TO BECAME EFFECTIVE AGAINST JAMMEH/APRC OR STANDING ANY CHANCE TO SALVAGE THE NATION?

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU INVESTED YOUR WHOLE TIME AND DEDICATION WITH THE UDP CLAN AND MILITANCY ON SENEGAMBIA ON-LINE RADIO, GAMBIA-L AND SOMETIMES WITH GAINAKO; AND SHOWING WHICH OPPOSITION FACTION YOU SUPPORTED OR BIASED ON RECENT 2011 ELECTIONS? SO TO COME HERE AND DAMN HALIFA IS A RIDICULOUS PLAN WITH HIDDEN PERSONAL AGENDA (AMONGST THOSE WHO WANT THEM STIGMATIZED AND DOOMED)?

THAT'S WHY ACHIEVEMENT OF THE UNITED FRONT SERIOUSLY DISTURBED YOU AS ANALYSED BY HALIFA; AGAINST ALL ODDS, SKEPTICS AND ARROGANT TAUNTS? ALSO RESULTS BEING ANOTHER WAKE-UP CALL FOR A PROPER GENUINE FORMIDABLE"UNITED NATIONAL FRONT" THAT CAN BE FORM UNDER A COMMON POLITICAL PLATFORM AND NOT PARTISAN CAUSES OF "PARTY-LED"; IN SPIRIT OF NATIONAL UNITY, PARTNERSHIP, SOLIDARITY AND FOR "ONE GAMBIA", "ONE PEOPLE", "ONE DESTINY" FOR ALL OPPOSITION FRONT?

Have a great weekend.

You too! BUT REMINDING YOU TO;
"Be Part Of The Solutions And Not Part Of The Problems!"; BECAUSE YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEMS AMONGST OTHERS FOR OPPOSITION FRONT (I.E. ALL DISSIDENTS AND OPPONENTS OF JAMMEH/APRC ARE IN THIS TOGETHER)

Edited by - kobo on 18 Dec 2011 23:10:12
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  23:01:09  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
quote:
"This is the Second Republic. APRC is in office and not the PPP which has never put up a candidate for any office for the past decade."

"What is most disappointing, OJ left the country to go abroad when the debate was still on. A lot of damage to the opposition was done by diverting the attention of the Diaspora to the essence of the debate as to which tactic was more likely to succeed and focus was put on the alleged conflict of personal interests and idiosyncrasies."

WHILST PDOIS EXPOSED ALL SHORT-COMINGS AND FLAWS THAT MUST BE ADDRESSED IN ELECTORAL PROCESS FOR A SOUND LEVEL-PLAYING FIELD THAT GUARNTEE "FREE AND FAIR ELECTION" AGES AGO AND SENSITIZED ON THEM THROUGH FOROYAA AND SERIES OF PRESS RELEASES, MORE THAN ANY POLITICAL PARTY EXISTING IN THE COUNTRY; SINCE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE IEC TOWARDS 2011?

SO BE THE JUDGE ON WHO IS GUILTY OF DERELICTION OF NATIONAL DUTY AND INEPT POLITICAL LEADERSHIP?

AS FAR AS THE POLITICAL HISTORY OF NATION SPEAKS VOLUMES; AND HISTORY BEING THE BEST TEACHER, PDOIS ESPECIALLY SEDIA JATTA AND HALIFA SALLAH NEVER FAILED THE NATION IN POLITICS AND AS POLITICIANS

SELECTION OF RELATED BANTABA TOPICS;

Edited by - kobo on 19 Dec 2011 00:19:36
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  02:06:39  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
Kobo, I think you should look in the mirror yourself. You are playing blind loyalty and cherry picking favoriable statements from Halifa...

How comes you never called me names or disagree when I was here supporting Halifa in so many fronts? How comes you don't see anything negative in what Halifa has to say about anything?

I don't know exactly who you are but if you were to reveal yourself, your head may be burried in shame!!!

I have nothing personal against Halifa or anybody who supports his principles...

What I ask of you and many others who support one way or the other is to challenge our leaders or aspiring leaders on the issues. Admit in public what you admit in private about their weaknesses or where you disagree with them...

Hey it is ok to pick up a fight with your party leader. It can only strengthen their leadership... but blindly signing off to whatever they issued or said is simply dishonest and unpatriotic..

I hope you start doubting some of the positions that Halifa and others or anybody for that matter takes... let's challenge them.. I don't know about you but I will continue to challenge all and anyone that I think needs to be challenge on the issues...

Baldeh,
Go to Top of Page

Senegambia

175 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  10:11:18  Show Profile Send Senegambia a Private Message
First I thought you'd done the right thing not engaging Kobo on this one but you came out and replied very well.

By the way, Kobo, we can all learn from this post so no need to be too sensitive on Halipha's behalf. Gambia's leaders need to adopt some attitudinal changes. They have acted arrogantly on us for so long. This is not acceptable!

quote:
Originally posted by dbaldeh

Kobo, I think you should look in the mirror yourself. You are playing blind loyalty and cherry picking favoriable statements from Halifa...

How comes you never called me names or disagree when I was here supporting Halifa in so many fronts? How comes you don't see anything negative in what Halifa has to say about anything?

I don't know exactly who you are but if you were to reveal yourself, your head may be burried in shame!!!

I have nothing personal against Halifa or anybody who supports his principles...

What I ask of you and many others who support one way or the other is to challenge our leaders or aspiring leaders on the issues. Admit in public what you admit in private about their weaknesses or where you disagree with them...

Hey it is ok to pick up a fight with your party leader. It can only strengthen their leadership... but blindly signing off to whatever they issued or said is simply dishonest and unpatriotic..

I hope you start doubting some of the positions that Halifa and others or anybody for that matter takes... let's challenge them.. I don't know about you but I will continue to challenge all and anyone that I think needs to be challenge on the issues...

Tesito

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  04:51:09  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Originally posted by Senegambia
First I thought you'd done the right thing not engaging Kobo on this one but you came out and replied very well.

DISAGREE and cannot see what you endorsed as "very well replied"? There is nothing to justify dBaldeh's malicious comments direct personal attack against Halifa, distortions and disorientation! What lenses do you have and what did you digest? I don't have nothing to react on them for I have made my points very clear on dBaldeh's disposition and wrong judgement

By the way, Kobo, we can all learn from this post so no need to be too sensitive on Halipha's behalf.

With due respect, divided opinions as there are more to learn analysing both O.J's comments in the media and Halifa's statement in response to him; setting records straight and FACTS EXPOSED? Halifa exercised civil duty; showed leadership to react on contentious issues at these critical times and only to be falsely accused from it ("as a sign of intolerance") by dBaldeh is ridiculous and preposterous? These idiosyncrasies and spitting venom undermined opposition front to unite, organise, mobilise an effective aggressive campaign against incumbent and avoid humiliation

Refer Halifa's statement as there are nothing immoral on them but facts esposed; especially these extracted quote below

quote:
"Since the establishment of the United Front and the UDP led Alliance no one has heard any opposition leader attacking the other in the media. They had focused on issues rather than personalities. When the two sides met in URR during the campaign period they embraced each other and wished each other well.

Interestingly, it is only OJ who has written so far trying to prove that he was correct and others were wrong without offering any evidence to back how history has absolved him. In this respect too OJ has departed from the frontiers of National Interest and has sunk into ego centric frontiers.

For the sake of National Interest all opposition parties focused on the ruling party during the campaign and did nothing to damage each others chances. Now OJ is doing everything to damage the opposition in this country by claiming that it is its own cause of electoral failure. In my view, he drew such conclusion because he has lost focus. In short, a person who is focused would not dwell on subsidiary issues while closing one’s eye on the fundamental aspects
"
"

Gambia's leaders need to adopt some attitudinal changes. They have acted arrogantly on us for so long. This is not acceptable!

AGAIN SWEEPING STATEMENTS AND I DON'T GET YOUR POINT HERE ON ISSUES UNDER OUR RADAR POST RECENT ELECTIONS TO FOCUS ON? ARE WE MISSING SOMETHING HERE AND RETRIBUTIONS (IF ANY)?
  • Who or which Gambian leader; especially on opposition front?

• Be specific?

• Who "acted arrogantly..."; any hero, villain and/or sacred cow?

RELATED BANTABA GAMBIAN POLITICS TOPIC;

Edited by - kobo on 22 Dec 2011 01:50:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06