Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Science and Technology Forum
 Science and Technology
 WHOSE MISTAKE; CREATION OR EVOLUTION?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  09:20:38  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1921847,00.html

This teenage 'girl',an athlete from South Africa, has been in the news for several weeks now because of her rare abnormally obscured gender condition.
Medical tests ordered by the world's athletic authority,IAAF indicates that, Semenya has no vital female organs (no ovaries to produce eggs or estrogen, and no uterus for implantation and pregnancy) and apparently has no external male organs. She does have retained, internal testicles (-the testicles did not descend as they normally do in boys)that produce and release large amounts of the male hormone testosterone (three times the normal dose for women and girls)into her body thereby giving her the characteristic male features of deep voice and masculine physique. That sounds scary, and literally, it means Semenya is a 'woman constantly on drugs'-a kind of a zombie ... .No actually a male whose body is not responsive to the male hormone testosterone, thereby causing the retention of the testes and the arrested development of the male genitalia
This rare genetic abnormality occurs in a small number of people in the population. Its long been called by biologists as hermaphroditism, and recently in popular language as 'intersex'. That perhaps means someone between the sexes.
Albert Einstein, my idol, was once quoted as saying that "most great men are between the sexes". Perhaps in the case of Semenya, most great women are also between the sexes. I do not know what the implications of this and other develpmental abnormalities are for creation or evolution, but certainly we can take it that gender does not often come in black and white. There is no doubt a gray matter exists here...; and I blame neither God nor Darwin for this suffering and tragedy...

Edited by - kayjatta on 14 Sep 2009 12:50:54

Momodou

Denmark
11629 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  14:56:58  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Kay, strange things happen in nature. I hope s/he is helped out of the situation and continues being an athlete.

I have just read that a similar case happened to an Indian athlete some years ago. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8250469.stm

Another article is: Sex defect adults happy with gender:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2239553.stm

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

sss

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  03:26:17  Show Profile Send sss a Private Message
how about we blame ourselves.we are the ones polluting the environment and doing everything we feel like doing.dont blame God if you cut all the trees and thus get a drought.
i hope that in the end she is alright.

THE MESSENGER OF GOD(peace and blessing be always upon him)SAID,"WHOEVER WALKS WITH A TYRANT IN SUPPORT OF HIM,WHILE AWARE OF HIS TYRANNY,HAS ABANDONED ISLAM."At-Tabarani
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  06:59:54  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

Kay, strange things happen in nature. I hope s/he is helped out of the situation and continues being an athlete.

I have just read that a similar case happened to an Indian athlete some years ago. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8250469.stm

Another article is: Sex defect adults happy with gender:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2239553.stm

Exactly Momodou. I think there was a story of a Polish 'female' (super)athlete whose later autopsy report revealed she had a male genitalia...
Surprise, surprise; I guess having a penis does not make one a male and the vise versa...
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  07:02:34  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sss

how about we blame ourselves.we are the ones polluting the environment and doing everything we feel like doing.dont blame God if you cut all the trees and thus get a drought.
i hope that in the end she is alright.

No blame games sss. Things just happen, and like Momodou just said "strange things happen in nature".
Go to Top of Page

lurker

509 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  13:45:35  Show Profile Send lurker a Private Message
interesting subject.
a few observations if i may..

i am not sure she is an hermaphrodite.
Does she have a vagina? I know she has internal testes instead of ovaries and no womb.If she has a vagina then she might be called such.
If she has male genitalia of any sort then she is a bloke.
All the women wear virtual thongs when they run.
She wore underpants and then lycra shorts over the pants.
She has a bulge in her lunchbox.
She improved her personal best (spookily in the final) by a full 7 seconds.
That is MASSIVE.
I believe i read she has something called androgen sensitivity disorder (inaccurate memory on exact phrase) and this testoterone is natural.
HOWEVER....

it stands as a fact that whatever you may think of her gender, she/he has a distinctly clear advantage due to this testosterone over her fully female colleagues.
Therefore she will be stronger , faster,hairier etc etc

therefore, it is clearly unfair(and clearly not her fault) that she should run against girls without similar advantages and she should be excluded from this competition until the full story is out and she can compete on a level playing field.

what is the difference between her and the east german drug fiends of the 70's and 80's whose world records still stand.

The cheated to get testosterone/steroids.
She did not, cos it was there already.
Both they and she have and unfair advantage.
Both they and she should not compete in the same field as natural competitors.

I hope they can treat her cos i see this ending tragically,

ps why does the stupid south african statesman start saying this is a racist thing?
IS THERE EVER A CRITICISM OR OBSERVATION ALLOWED AGAINST AN AFRICAN THAT ISNT RACIST????????
FOR GOD'S SAKE!
A white athlete would have had the same furore- do not tell that they would not have.
more chips on shoulders than mcdonalds in that govt. department

Edited by - lurker on 15 Sep 2009 14:01:41
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  13:56:48  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Very good observations Lurker. This appears to be a very complicated issue:
1. she has suspended internal testicles that secrets testosterone into her body
2. has no ovaries, no uterus
3. apparently has vagina, I recalled she threatened to pull her pants down for someone who questioned her femininity.
beacuse of the existence of both sex organs, male and female, hermaphroditism is suspect although infertility is obvious.
Androgen insensitvity syndrome is mentioned, and that perhaps explains the overactvity of the testosterone-producing testicles...

Edited by - kayjatta on 15 Sep 2009 13:58:06
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  17:04:38  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Exactly Lurker, Bravo I am really fed up with all this absolute crap, "Oh its only becaue I am black" ,we are all humans and there are some bad ones amongst us,but a lot of this racist rubbish has been artifically created by someone in the past heaven only knows who! and has got totally out of hand,lets get back to being good and bad humans, not Arabs, Jews, Black, Chinese, Europeans,Indian,etc.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06