Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Science and Technology Forum
 Science and Technology
 ICT4Dev Online Papers: Online Gold Farming
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11630 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  16:47:06  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Latest additions to the Development Informatics online working paper series:
http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm/research/publications/wp/di/index.htm

32: Online "Gold Farming": Developing Country Production for Virtual Economies (Richard Heeks)

The first systematic analysis of "gold farming": the production of virtual goods and services for players of online games, that employs hundreds of thousands in developing countries and earns hundreds of millions of dollars annually. Analyses from economic, sociological, business and developmental perspectives, and sets out an agenda for future research.

31: Deconstructing Community Participation in Telecentre Projects (Savita Bailur)

Critiques the assumed link between community participation and telecentre success; finding no hard evidence of a relation and a problematic understanding of the term "community". Asks that telecentre policy-makers and implementers treat this causality in more complex terms than at present.

30: Researching ICT-Based Enterprise in Developing Countries: Analytical Tools and Models (Richard Heeks)

Provides a guide for those researching ICT-based enterprises in developing countries. Offers a series of frameworks for analysis from basic classificatory models to those that can analyse competitive strategy, impact, context and the enterprise lifecycle. In each case, provides an explanation of basic concepts, and a sense of what research using the particular framework would offer.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  17:51:15  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Thats a bit complicated for my small brain Momodou,its written with English words I can see that but what on earth is it all about? I hope other posters can help.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11630 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  23:09:08  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Toubab, how can you not understand when its written in your native toubab tongue? Are you not into (ICT)Information and Communications Technology.?

Here is an Abstract by Dr Richard Heeks of The University of Manchester

From the start of the 21st century, a new form of employment has emerged in developing countries. It employs hundreds of thousands of people and earns hundreds of millions of dollars annually. Yet it has been almost invisible to both the academic and development communities. It is the phenomenon of "gold farming": the production of virtual goods and services for players of online games. China is the employment epicentre but the sub-sector has spread to other Asian nations and will spread further as online games-playing grows. It is the first example of a likely future development trend in online employment. It is also one of a few emerging examples in developing countries of "liminal ICT work"; jobs associated with digital technologies that are around or just below the threshold of what is deemed socially-acceptable and/or formally-legal.

This paper reviews what we know so far about gold farming, seeking to provide the first systematic analysis of the sub-sector. It assembles available data at the sectoral, enterprise and worker level. Five main analytical lenses are then applied. Economic analysis shows how exchange rate variations and scale economies do and do not impact gold farming; and the strong influence of information failure in the purchase of virtual items: known as "real-money trading". Analysis from the perspective of industrial sociology charts the commoditisation and globalisation of the sub-sector, while value chain models identify resource dependencies and power inequities. Enterprise analysis investigates enterprise entry, existence and progression, and outlines the competitive forces shaping the sub-sector's development; particularly threats. Developmental analysis investigates the impact of this sub-sector in macro and micro terms. Finally, there is a sociological analysis of the role played by perceptions and other social forces.

In using a broad base of analytical perspectives, the paper aims to encourage, and provide a stepping stone for, further research on this growing phenomenon. It concludes by outlining and justifying a future research agenda.

View/Download options for the working paper
PDF file (1280KB)
Zipped MS Word file (645KB)

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  00:53:25  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
That little section that you have printed above tries to explains what they are trying to say,I am a normal person not an interlectual,the inner link that I opened was just a lot of words strung together, not normal language at all,its a bit like going to an economics lecture I suppose(never been to one though!) and having words thrown at you although they are in English they are strung together and mean nothing to the average person, a little quote from the section above for instance exemplifies what I mean

Developmental analysis investigates the impact of this sub-sector in macro and micro terms. Finally, there is a sociological analysis of the role played by perceptions and other social forces.

The whole lot turned me off I am afraid,what on earth does the above sentence mean?,its gobbledgook,why could not these authors just explained that here is a chance to make money

"It is the phenomenon of "gold farming": the production of virtual goods and services for players of online games."

From that sentence I understand the subject matter to mean the design and sale of online games,
this rubbish about gold farming,just say" Internet sales of games can make a lot of money."

But there again that's not very interlectual is it!

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 03 Aug 2008 00:57:33
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11630 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  12:18:12  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
I see what you mean and have made links above to the different papers. Simple is good!

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  15:06:31  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Nice to see that you are a normal person as well, and that my signature is true

Edited by - toubab1020 on 03 Aug 2008 15:07:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06