Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Government Considering Diaspora Enfranchised
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  14:32:20  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
FREEDOM ON-LINE NEWS WITH A LEAKED GOVERNMENT POLICY DOCUMENT FOR COOPERATION WITH GAMBIANS ABROAD AND/OR GAMBIANS IN THE DIASPORA;

HOPE THAT POLICY IS NOT STOLEN FROM UDP WITH ITS MINISTERIAL RESTRUCTURING PROPOSALS FOR;

quote:
• Ministry of Foreign, Regional & Diaspora Relations (FRD)Within the international arena, The Gambia use to have a reputation as a peaceful haven of human rights. This has been totally destroyed by the current government. The Gambia now aligns itself to pariah nations. Through the reform of this Ministry, we shall reverse the existing negative foreign policy. The new Ministry shall not be pontificating on ‘foreign affairs’, it shall focus on creating, maintaining and improving productive relationships with regional and international partners. FRD shall also adopt an enlightened and forward-looking approach to dealing with the Gambian Diaspora.

AND FOR WISDOM AND CHANGE IN POLICIES/STRATEGIES FROM OTHER RELATED BANTABA TOPICS AMONGST OTHERS FOR DIASPORA VOICES CRYING VERY LOUD ESPECIALLY;

Edited by - kobo on 11 Dec 2011 15:50:29

sankalanka

270 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  15:20:41  Show Profile Send sankalanka a Private Message
Kobo, with respect to the diaporian forum meeting being proposed, I think this is a good approach. The diaporan political groups and organizations should start to engage the government. Not five years to come, but now.

All the Gambian stakeholders, the opposition political groups, the civil society segments, the diaspora groups and organizations should make the interim period in the five years before the next elections, as the period when all the electoral, constitutional, structural and institutional changes in our body politics SHOULD take place.

ENGAGE! NEGOTIATE! AND RECONCILE!
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  15:46:49  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Sankalanka. Yes diaspora has got the golden opportunity to engage government; challenge, tender petitions, point out political grievances, forward ideal proposals and recommendations but it appears that this initiative is a human resources development for government with its Vision 2020 and brain drain problems; which at end of exercise is inclined to be highly politicised under Jammeh/APRC? Don't you think so that any network or government structure is politically undermined by Jammeh/APRC? Can you trust President Jammeh on reconciliation and radical changes in government policies (for good governance)

Edited by - kobo on 11 Dec 2011 15:55:11
Go to Top of Page

sankalanka

270 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  19:19:27  Show Profile Send sankalanka a Private Message
Kobo,
Your observation is quite valid. What has been going on politically for the past 17 years is not sustainable, and there should be a positive impact at engagement, where reason and common sense will overide any political posturing.

Go to Top of Page

Karamba

United Kingdom
3820 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  21:17:20  Show Profile Send Karamba a Private Message
Yaya Jammeh cannot be trusted with life of Gambians. His records are bad enough. All he is doing is an attempt to calm the storm. Once people play nice with him, he will turn around to kill more people. It is very unsafe for anyone to get close to whatever group they end up forming. It is a plot to eliminate more Gambians. Jammeh's system is a secret society gang work.

Karamba
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  21:48:31  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
GAINAKO ON-LINE NEWS;

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  11:10:32  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
HELLO GAMBIA WITH MATHEW K. JALLOW;

Edited by - kobo on 27 Dec 2011 11:11:01
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  01:21:58  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
GAINAKO ON-LINE NEWS;

Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  08:47:44  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
I think the Diaspora summit is a good initiative. I am however very concern about the way it has been put together. I think anytime citizens have a chance to engage their government, they should take advantage of it and address their concerns.

The modalities of this conference are a little weird for the simple fact that no agenda has been circulated, the parties were not engage in advance to solicit their input and third individuals have to finance their way to the summit.

If the government is serious about engaging Gambian Diaspora and not those people looking to praise sing the government and the President, then they should have started with holding meetings in the Diaspora and not dictate the agenda as well.

In anycase, I think it is an opportunity for a new page and hopefully it will grow to other positive things. Let's see how many people are participating...

It is also actually the time for the opposition to mobilize their leaders and do a reengagement tour with Gambian Diaspora. They must recognize that their biggest resources (financial) are in the Diaspora and with honest and open engagement, they can gather more efforts.

I hope they too will not let the government engage the Gambian people now and then they wait until a year before the elections. The opposition if they want to be taken seriously must start to roll out programs in the communities etc for people to recognize their genuine struggle to replace the Jammeh regime....

Baldeh,
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi
Visit http://www.gainako.com for your daily news and politics
Go to Top of Page

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  18:09:39  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
Maudo Demba,
I totally agree with you that it is an opportunity worth thinking about but Do we know what the government's real intentions are?

If the Government of president Jammeh are really genuine about discussions with us diasporans, I belief there should have to be ground works first not just what is said on the news.

No one is a kid here.

How about having first ground meetings at various Gambian foreign offices in Other African states where Gambians are based,also the same with Europe and America.

What use is our foreign embassies?

How about they be assigned to start the first move by organising meetings with us and the minutes of those reports sent to Banjul where by Government can divolge on those issues discussed amongst Diasporan Gambians there and then if another grand meeting can be arranged in Banjul fine.

But now after so much tensed and stained rerlations with Diasporan Gambians, for the Jammeh Government to come out of the blue with a proposal for a meeting?
What meeting?
Who is going to foot the bills of my travel to discuss with a government I belief cares less about my concerns?

No one should allow yourself to be fooled. I would respect the decision of any Gambian willing to meet the Jammeh Government in Banjul but remember you are not representing me and you are on your own not in my name please.
Hope Gambians really did not so soon forgot the Gambia Student Union and what this government did to divide it by forming a counter union with their full support and powers?
Have they corrected that first by disbanning their backed union and merge it with the main body?

Word for the wise!
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  19:19:48  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
My brother Janyanfara, make no mistake there are lots of political calculations put into this effort by the Jammeh regime. I guarantee one outcome, someone will either gain some good promotion out of this and or get whacked for putting the administration in a situation that can be disgraceful to them..

Remember our vibrant able Press Director Fatou Camara organizing a meeting between the President and the independent press? It was a great PR move that turned disaster for her tenure.

This government don't do things for the interest of the people... it pushes its people to act with good intend and reprimand them when it fails...

I think this is a good move on the surface provided the people representing the Diaspora have the balls to exercise their citizen rights first - that is demand accountability for this government. Am afraid though it might be more for the show than the outcome...

If anyone know someone attending let me know so we can talk to them directly at the meeting and get a feel of what is transpiring there. I hope the good unintended consequences come out of this meeting..

I shall pray for sanity to prevail...

Thanks

Baldeh,
Go to Top of Page

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  20:08:43  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
Ha ha ha,
Brother Demba you are indeed a genious. Ya you right they always cercrifice someone for failures.
But do you honestly think any body attending would be given the forum to put the government to task. Knowing the fact that anything contrary to a Jammeh directives, Ministers might not want to take such risk to allow it unless it is sanctioned by the BIG MAN himself.

Also if ALFA BA (as they called him) would be the one officiating the meeting or he would be represented by Fina Isatou Njie or the Hon. Tangana (FOREIGN SECRETARY), no one knows.All we knew it was facilitated by the Hon. Secretary just like Fatou Camara's dialoge with the press.

Maybe the OGA accepts these people's genuine proposals just for the show of it but inside him, he has other agendas and when things go wrong, he throws back all the blame on their faces.

Brother Demba I agree with you and am sure heads would either rise high from this meeting of roll under electric broom.
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  01:20:44  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
Janyanfara, the interesting thing is that once the Cameras start rolling you don't have control over all the things that happens there. If you recall the Fatou Camara meeting Sam Sarr and Uncle Swaibou refused to address the president directly with the usual yes sir.... they spoke directly to the press and boy their message could not be much clearer.

Watch that tape again and you will see the agony in President Jammeh's face. Even Fatim Badgie minister of health spoke very well and they did not like that either...

A subsequent meeting with government officials and security forces including CDS Kinteh spoke openly about the military not doing well when they are given civilian duties... That was another shocking revelation that could have or may have landed Kinteh into strip off of his arms and closely being monitored..

So there is something I call unintended consequences that could happen when the camera's role live... there is usually no room for editing at that point... This is the risk that the administration is unknowningly taken...

I hope someone brave comes out and demand some justice for Chief Manneh, Deyda Hydara and numerous others... It would be historic!!!

Baldeh,
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  01:22:44  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
GAINAKO NEWS;

MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION & GAMBIANS ABROAD WEBSITE OF THE GAMBIA GOVERNMENT WITH;

Edited by - kobo on 29 Dec 2011 21:02:00
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  00:56:52  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
MAAFANTA.COM WITH;

FOR GAINAKO NEWS;
  • Gambian Civil Society Groups Open to Meeting with Jammeh Regime, But with Practical Demands!

• Edited by - kobo on 02 Jan 2012 03:52:17
    Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  12:55:47  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
    I have a great idea,the meeting ,forum,consultation, (or whatever name is decided !) proposed should be held in an independent and easily accessible place to all those who wish to attend,I suggest The Canary Islands.This will show everyone that they can speak their minds and exchange ideas that MAY make a difference to Gambian Politics,a published agenda is of course necessary, instead of the usual way of talk talk without any structure or resolution, however there may well be some who think that ONLY if the gathering is in Gambia can they achieve their objectives that they have envisioned by this politically excellent idea.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 02 Jan 2012 13:31:23
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly
    | More
    Jump To:
    Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06