Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Mile Two Prisoners On Hunger Strike
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  10:50:16  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
Let's just keep praying for them. We know the government is lying through their teeth as per usual. There IS a hunger strike. It is STILL in progress and it's about time we stopped pretending that we believe everything the government tells us or are we as brainless as they want us to believe?
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  12:31:18  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
SAB,
"If there is a 'hunger strike' these men are attemtping to make a statement under the most horrific conditions & without a chance of public support - I pray for them, but try they must."

I do not disagree with that but so far as I can ascertain all the links that you have provided show that a proportion of the people in the countries mentioned support the protests,this is because the protests have received at least some publicity and the public know what is happening,I would say that Gambia is a slightly different case.I agree with you statement above and do not imply that to go on hunger strike is foolhardy,of course it isn't,what I was trying to suggest was that the hunger strikers had obtained ALL THEY COULD reasonably expect and would be offered no more "concessions" therefore they have achieved their goals and should comply with the agreed "normal" condition ,there being no further need for the hunger strike to go on,"normal" conditions in Mile 2 I suspect are FAR from ideal.

quote:
Originally posted by sab

Toubab I believe your posting to be a ‘simple is best’ shortsighted.
History proves that sometimes improvements can be achieved -
Just a reminder…..

http://www.climatejusticefast.com/pages/fast-history/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/5/newsid_2728000/2728309.stm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/mandela/prison/mip.html

If there is a 'hunger strike' these men are attemtping to make a statement under the most horrific conditions & without a chance of public support - I pray for them, but try they must.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  13:48:20  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
Toubab,

How do YOU know they have "obtained ALL THEY COULD reasonably expect and would be offered no more "concessions" therefore they have achieved their goals and should comply with the agreed "normal" condition ,there being no further need for the hunger strike to go on,"

I think the Ousman Sonko explicitly DENIES there is a hunger strike? Do you know who is involved? Do you know what they have achieved? Do you know where they even ARE at this moment in time! We all have to hold our breaths and hope they don't join Chief Ebrima Manneh in USA!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  13:50:41  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
N.B.....

The strike is STILL on and they deserve support and prayers
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  14:03:41  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
OK,perhaps it was naive of me to expect that the "authorities" would offer a fair deal,in which case those hunger strikers have not yet achieved what they had hoped to,the more hours that this goes on the greater danger to the health of those concerned,bearing in mind probable conditions at Mile 2 and the Gambian climate which is very hot.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  00:10:41  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
At least the hunger strike is now over and negotiations are still continuing. Let's hope someone somewhere publishes the outcomes of the continuing talks!

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  12:25:46  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
FOROYAA National News : PRISON HUNGER STRIKE OR NO HUNGER STRIKE Has the Authorities Promised to fulfill Demands?

"By Lamin Sanyang

Whether it was a hunger strike or not reports from family sources have it that the concerns of the prisoners at the ‘Security Wing’ of the Mile II Central Prison have partially been addressed while promises have been made to address the rest.

According to information gathered by this paper there has been a series of consultation between the prison inmates and the authorities to resolve the problem. It is reported that the authorities have agreed to meet some of the demands made by the prisoners such as improving the quality of food served at the prison and have promised to take the sick prisoners to hospital for treatment and consider the number of family visits in a year. It is also reported that both the television and radio were returned to enable prisoners to listen to news and entertainment; that those having one uniform were given two uniforms.

It could be recalled that reports from several and diverse sources have it that prison inmates at the ‘Security Wing’ of the Mile II Central Prisons have been on a hunger strike since Thursday 20th October in protest against what they consider to be unbearable and inhuman treatment that they say are prevailing at the central prisons.

According to family sources, the concerns of the prisoners relate to claims of overcrowding and lack of hygiene, poor food quality served at the prisons, restrictions of visits by their families to one visit every three months, failure of the prison authorities to comply with medical recommendations given by doctors, failure to take some inmates to the hospital when they are sick and the cessation of access to television and radio for information and entertainment.

However, the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of the Interior has denied reports of hunger strike at the ‘Security Wing’ of the Mile II Central Prisons while the prison authorities could not comment because they were purportedly busy on meetings."
"
Foroyaa
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  14:15:31  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
Thanks Kobo. It's a shame the report didn't state that the prison officers help themselves to the meat/fish/vegetables in the food and give the prisoners the scraps that they don't want to eat. Aren't the scraps supposed to be given to dogs not humans??

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  14:31:59  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Scorpiorain ,you and I both know that BAD things that go on in Gambia and endemic poverty exists everywhere, with very few exceptions,I really cannot see ANY improvement coming to the lives of the majority of Gambians any time in the future,it is, and always will be.
Change is obviously needed but will it come to Gambians and MOST of Africa ever ? Bantaba in Cyberspace is in the main a political talking shop where words flow like the Gambia river out to sea to become one with the ocean,a vast expanse of water ,or words achieving nothing but erosion ,never ending.
Answers have I none.

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  13:42:46  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
FREEDOM NEWS Breaking News: Gambia: BABA KAJALI JOBE IS DEAD!

"Baba Kajali Jobe, the former Majority Leader of Gambia’s National Assembly, who recently collapsed in his prison cell at the Mile Two Central Prison, and hospitalized at the Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital is dead, the Freedom Newspaper can report. Mr. Jobe, who was serving his nine years prison term on economic crime charges died last night at his hospital bed, doctors said.

A foul play is suspected on Mr. Jobe’s death. He was due to be released from prison, but for some unexplained reasons, The Gambian authorities failed to accord him early release as earlier recommended by the Interior Minister.

In a span of one month, two prominent prisoners have died in The Gambia. A Dutch prisoner facing drug trafficking Charges also died under mysterious circumstances at his prison cell. The prisoners are dying due to malnutrition related illnesses. The disease killing the inmates is locally called here “beriberi.” Beriberi is a dangerous disease. It is indiscriminately killing Gambian prisoners. Prisoners confronted by the disease often develops swollen face, and body.

According to medical sources, Mr. Jobe’s body is currently at the Banjul mortuary awaiting burial. Mr. Jobe, lost his mother recently. A Government delegated attended the burial of Baba Jobe’s mother, where the regime was reminded about the plight of Mr. Jobe, but for some reasons the dictator was reluctant to set free Jobe. Promises were made to release Jobe in the not too distant feature, but such promises turn to reality. Baba Jobe is dead!

“ A high profile prisoner like Baba Jobe has died for nothing. He was denied balanced diet, proper dwelling, and medical attention. There will be more deaths at the Mile Two Prison. Essa Badjie, the former Inspector General of Police too is critically ill. He has been confined to a poorly staffed prison clinic at Mile Two. Badjie has been bleeding from his noise for the past couple of weeks. The President is using the Mile Two as secret location to take the lives of his former closest aides,” said our source.

“ When you look at Baba Jobe’s body you will know that this man has been eliminated. His life has been taken away due to Jobe’s inner knowledge about the President’s clandestine arms sale, and other crimes against humanity. This was the guy who used to coordinate Jammeh’s plane which indicted by the United Nations for gun running, and the trade of illicit diamonds known as ‘blood diamonds.”"
Freedom News

PS: HE HAS BEEN JAMMEH'S SPECIAL ENVOY AND CLOSE AIDE TO THE GHADAAFI DEALS; ALWAYS IN TEAM FOR LIBYAN FOREIGN MISSIONS? HOPE ITS NOT FOUL PLAY AND DOUBLE CROSSED FOR HIM TO DIE WITH STATE SECRETS

Edited by - kobo on 29 Oct 2011 14:16:46
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  14:55:44  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
With the latest news it would appear that what I thought might happen has happened.

quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

OK,perhaps it was naive of me to expect that the "authorities" would offer a fair deal,in which case those hunger strikers have not yet achieved what they had hoped to,the more hours that this goes on the greater danger to the health of those concerned,bearing in mind probable conditions at Mile 2 and the Gambian climate which is very hot.

Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  23:36:11  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message

"Foroyaa has long emphasised that prisons are not supposed to be concentration camps where people are dumped to be subjected to humiliation, degradation, unhappiness, brutality, suffering and unnatural death."
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  00:24:55  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
Foroyaa Note:
Qualified medical personnel should be taken to the Central Prisons to conduct thorough check up of all prisoners detained at the security wing to make doubly sure that they are in good health. The prisoners are in the hands of the State. They deserve the full protection of their right to survival.

http://www.change.org/petitions/political-prisoners-in-gambia

Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  02:40:59  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11835
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  22:59:01  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
DAILY NEWS EDITORIAL;
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06