Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Mile Two Prisoners On Hunger Strike
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  01:39:14  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. FREEDOM NEWS Breaking News: GAMBIAN PRISONERS ON HUNGER STRIKE!

2. FOROYAA National News : Investigating Reports of Hunger Strike at Mile II

"Reports from several and diverse sources have it that prison inmates at the ‘Security Wing’ of the Mile II Central Prisons have been on a hunger strike since Thursday 20th October in protest against what they consider to be unbearable and inhuman treatment that they say are prevailing at the central prisons.

According to family sources, apart from those who are sick, inmates at the ‘Security Wing’ of the Mile II Central Prison are on hunger strike. It is reported that the concerns of the prisoners relate to claims of overcrowding and lack of hygiene, poor food quality served at the prisons, restrictions of visits by their families to one visit every three months, failure of the prison authorities to comply with medical recommendations given by doctors, failure to take some inmates to the hospital when they are sick and the cessation of access to television and radio to watch or listen to news.

Foroyaa approached the authorities for clarification. The office of the Director General of Prison Services was contacted to clarify the matter. He said he would be busy till today, Monday. The Ministry of the Interior was also contacted to comment on the issue. The Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Interior told this reporter that he was not aware of the hunger strike at the prisons. He said he will contact the prison authorities and get back to the reporter and which is yet to be done up to the time of going to press.

As we go to press reports of a few prisoners collapsing persist. The reports indicated that the prison authorities are not allowing any visits for prisoners detained at the Security wing since the start of the hunger strike."
Foroyaa

3. FOROYAA Editorial : INVESTIGATE! INVESTIGATE! INVESTIGATE! REPORT OF HUNGER STRIKE AT CENTRAL PRISON

"Reports reaching Foroyaa indicate that some Prisoners from the Central Prison at Mile Two are beginning to be hospitalized. Family members with loved ones incarcerated at the maximum Security Wing at Central Prisons at Mile two are beginning to express concern and have approached Foroyaa to raise concern so that proper investigation would be conducted by the Ministry of the Interior.

Foroyaa has long emphasised that prisons are not supposed to be concentration camps where people are dumped to be subjected to humiliation, degradation, unhappiness, brutality, suffering and unnatural death.

Those outside of prison should ask themselves what moral edge they have over those in prison. Prisoners are human beings. Nelson Mandela was a prisoner but he emerged from prison and became a head of state. Prisons are homes to both the victims of injustice and perpetrators of wrong and injustice. Those who are victims of injustice are prisoners of conscience who often emerge for prison as heroes or heroines who are propelled to higher heights in state administration.

On the other hand, those who perpetrate wrong and are treated with respect do come out of prison reformed and humbled and fully prepared to live productive and contributive lives.

How a country treats its prisoners is an indication of its level of commitment to the international code that all human beings are born with dignity and self worth.

The fact that prisoners are expected to have grievances is why an oversight institution referred to as a Prison Visiting Committee is provided for under section 22 of the Prisons Act. The Prison Visiting Committee for the Central Prison should be put into action to investigate what is happening at the security wing and advise the Minister accordingly.

The National Assembly members should also engage the prison authorities to ensure that no prisoner has to combat any deprivation by putting his or her life on the line.

Section 22 reads:

(1.) There shall be established a Visiting Committee for each prison, consisting of such persons or the holders of such offices as the Minister may from time to time appoint.

(2.) The Minister may appoint a Chairman of the Committee and the Chairman and every other member of the Committee shall hold office during pleasure.

(3.) The Committee shall consist of not less than five members and three members shall constitute a quorum.

(4.) The Committee shall meet at least once in every three months within the precincts of the prison for which it is appointed, shall hear any complaints which may be made by the prisoners detained therein, report to the Minister any matter which they consider it to be expedient to report, inquire into any matter connected with the management of the prison which the Superintendent may put before it or into which the Minister may direct the Committee to inquire and shall have such other powers and duties as may be prescribed by this Act or by rules made thereunder.

(5.) Any member of a Visiting Committee may at any time enter the prison for which the Committee is appointed and shall have free access to every part thereof and to every person detained therein, and may inspect the prison records and may enter any observations he may think fit to make in reference to the condition of the prison or abuses therein in the visitors’ book to be kept by the officer in charge.

(6.) No member of any Visiting Committee may in any way be concerned with any contracts for supplies for use in the prison for which the Committee is appointed."
Foroyaa

Edited by - kobo on 24 Oct 2011 01:51:32

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  12:06:33  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
There are written safeguards to deal with this as Kobo has written above and it is the DUTY of any member of a visiting committee to go to the prison and see for himself once he has been made aware of a problem,in Africa ,words ,personal conduct,and action are often not actioned in a joined up way.
Personally I have no doubt that conditions are very poor in Gambian prisons,however I have seen convicts performing tasks in the garden and at roadside locations under the control of prison staff,all these convicts appeared to be in good health.
I bet that this book is "lost and cannot be found" or has few critical observations therein, if it does exist:

"may inspect the prison records and may enter any observations he may think fit to make in reference to the condition of the prison or abuses therein in the visitors’ book to be kept by the officer in charge."

"(5.) Any member of a Visiting Committee may at any time enter the prison for which the Committee is appointed and shall have free access to every part thereof and to every person detained therein, and may inspect the prison records and may enter any observations he may think fit to make in reference to the condition of the prison or abuses therein in the visitors’ book to be kept by the officer in charge."

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  14:50:15  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message

An earlier link to the strike

quote:
http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11515
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  16:56:43  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Well spotted, just testing to see if you were paying attention seriously,thanks for that

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpiorain

An earlier link to the strike

quote:
http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11515

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  00:42:00  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

Personally I have no doubt that conditions are very poor in Gambian prisons,however I have seen convicts performing tasks in the garden and at roadside locations under the control of prison staff,all these convicts appeared to be in good health.
I bet that this book is "lost and cannot be found" or has few critical observations therein, if it does exist:
(5.) Any member of a Visiting Committee may at any time enter the prison for which the Committee is appointed and shall have free access to every part thereof and to every person detained therein, and may inspect the prison records and may enter any observations he may think fit to make in reference to the condition of the prison or abuses therein in the visitors’ book to be kept by the officer in charge."

As you point out this is a personal observation and in no way reflects the opinions of the people held therein!!

Latest update...

http://www.freedomnewspaper.com/Homepage/tabid/36/mid/367/newsid367/6941/Breaking-News-Gambia--PRISON-LOCKDOWN-IN-THE-GAMBIA/Default.aspx

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  01:35:24  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
I have given my personal opinion above that is true,what I failed to mention and should have is that the convicts that I talked about I observed several years ago, conditions have worsened from being very hard to being inhuman,I accept that the Freedom article is true and this has made the administration very red faced,:
"All these, happen, on the hills of the African Center Summit on Human and People’s rights International conference, which is currently underway in The Gambian Capital Banjul. The inmates are demanding for decent living condition, medical attention, and human rights."
Therefore some Mile 2 staff ,"are helping the NIA with their enquiries"
"The officers being quizzed by the NIA are: Mr. David Colley, the Director General of Prison Services, Chief Superintendent Lamin Sow, Superintendent Alhagie Jobe, Chief Officer Musa Sanyang, Lady officer Camara, and one Sergeant Janneh.
The NIA is trying to find out what might have triggered the prisoners hunger strike, sources said. Up to the time of going to press, the above mentioned prison officials were at the NIA helping them with their investigations. "

The NIA are presumably not investigating bad conditions inside Mile 2 but trying to find out who made these conditions public and cause embarrassment,however I still think that the members of the Visiting Committee failed in their duty,having said that ,in today's Gambia I certainly wouldn't like to be a member of that committee.

As you can see from the following link the weather in Gambia is VERY hot at the moment:
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/61711.html?bannertypeclick=infobox

Edited by - toubab1020 on 26 Oct 2011 01:38:55
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  05:00:17  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
FOROYAA National News : On The Hunger Strike Story PS INTERIOR SAYS NO HUNGER STRIKE

"The Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of the Interior has denied reports of hunger strike at the ‘Security Wing’ of the Mile II Central Prisons while the prison authorities could not comment because they were purportedly busy on meetings.

The Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Interior has denied the reports and told this reporter there was no hunger strike at the central prison. He was asked whether or not he was in touch with the prison authorities and he answered in the positive. He was asked whether they have done any investigation on the matter which he answered in the positive.

“We have done all the checks and there is no hunger strike at the central prison,” he said

According to family sources, the concerns of the prisoners relate to claims of overcrowding and lack of hygiene, poor food quality served at the prisons, restrictions of visits by their families to one visit every three months, failure of the prison authorities to comply with medical recommendations given by doctors, failure to take some inmates to the hospital when they are sick and the cessation of access to television and radio for information and entertainment.

Prior to talking to the Permanent Secretary the office of the Director General of Prison Services was contacted last Monday but he was said to be at a meeting. He was contacted the following day and was said to be at a meeting again. There was nobody to talk on behalf of the prison authorities about the reports of hunger strike at the central prisons.

Editor’s Note

A government should always adhere to the principle of transparency and accountability. Life is very precious. Unnatural deaths in prisons would always tarnish the image of a Government. A government should acknowledge early warning signals. Hence it is prudent for an Independent Agency like the Red Cross to be invited to visit the Prisons just to ensure that the fears of families are allayed."
Foroyaa
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  10:12:19  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message

Well they have moved the ringleaders into the main prison wing and the security wing is under lockdown. they were confined to their cells but now the ringleaders are removed AND the recruits and junior officers removed they are told IF they stop the hungerstrike today they will be allowed to return to 'normal'...
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  11:22:38  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
'normal'... is better than "not normal" I suppose,they cannot do anything other than accept having made their point,and the prison authorities told,keep out of this say nothing,that's how I translate these words,"the prison authorities could not comment because they were purportedly busy on meetings." a supreme example of Gambian politico speak.

I expect that serious irreparable damage has been effected on the health of some inmates and this will come to light very shortly.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 26 Oct 2011 11:23:22
Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  13:47:04  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

I expect that serious irreparable damage has been effected on the health of some inmates and this will come to light very shortly.

If only you knew how true these words are...

And as for "keep out of this say nothing"... Does this not allow the sadistic treatment to continue unchecked?? (Yes Toubab, Sadistic!!)
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  16:01:51  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
In reply to your comment,of course sadistic treatment should not continue,should not have started anyway,all humans should be treated as humans and with some respect,even though they have been convicted by courts run under The Gambian Justice system, clean conditions to live in, weatherproof shelter ,exercise, medical care, family visits ,adequate food,proper sanitation,running water,have the right not to be abused or assaulted by those in whose care they are .These requirements are human rights and SHOULD be respected by those in authority in ALL COUNTRIES . but are often not respected in SOME countries.

Go to Top of Page

Scorpiorain

Barbados
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  17:40:48  Show Profile Send Scorpiorain a Private Message

So what do we do when the system falls down and their basic human rights are smashed before their eyes? Do we turn our backs and close our eyes whilst whispering a little sympathy?

And I'm so pleased you mentioned that they are convicted by the Gambian courts as I'm sure your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you wrote it. Most political prisoners in Mile 2 are hardly convicted on any evidence. I'm not sure half the Kangaroo's that convict them are even literate!!

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  18:51:44  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
There is no doubt that MOST things need modification in Gambia,you know everybody knows that there very few ways in which that can be achieved,one major stumbling block is the Gambian people themselves, very few have travelled and seen the administration systems and way of life adopted outside Africa.
ALL systems have their faults,NONE are perfect as NOBODY lives in an ideal world,it does not exist,some are better than others,MOST Gambians accept their problems as their way of life,that's how it was that's how it will be,if you want help you ask the boss and he decides.
MOST Gambians have very little money and that that they do have must be used for food and rent,if any left over then maybe for education of the kids,so that they can have good jobs and provide for your old age,no pensions, no welfare provisions, and most serious of all:
NO JOBS....NO MONEY.....BIG PROBLEM.
What can you do ? pray ,and hope your prayers are answered, if not what happens is obviously GOD'S will that you have to accept.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 26 Oct 2011 20:02:38
Go to Top of Page

Kitabul Arerr

Gambia
645 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  20:27:47  Show Profile Send Kitabul Arerr a Private Message
No hunger strike at Mile 2 Prison, says Interior Minister

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/no-hunger-strike-at-mile-2-prison-says-interior-minister

Wednesday, October 26, 2011
"...The Minister of the Interior, Ousman Sonko, has denied media reports of a hunger strike embarked upon by inmates at the maximum security wing of the State Central Prison Mile 2..."

Someone is lying, but who..............................................................................ll!

BTW, there's too much innuendo, Point newspaper. What's the truth?

The New Gambia - Stronger Together!

Edited by - Kitabul Arerr on 26 Oct 2011 22:19:05
Go to Top of Page

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  22:59:27  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message
Toubab I believe your posting to be a ‘simple is best’ shortsighted.
History proves that sometimes improvements can be achieved -
Just a reminder…..

http://www.climatejusticefast.com/pages/fast-history/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/5/newsid_2728000/2728309.stm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/mandela/prison/mip.html

If there is a 'hunger strike' these men are attemtping to make a statement under the most horrific conditions & without a chance of public support - I pray for them, but try they must.

The world would be a poorer place if it was peopled by children whose parents risked nothing in the cause of social justice, for fear of personal loss. (Joe Slovo - African revolutionary)
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  10:38:38  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
THE POINT NEWS;

1. Baba Jobe hospitalised

2. No hunger strike at Mile 2 Prison, says Interior Minister
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06