Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: World politics
 War Heroes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  00:17:17  Show Profile
Anyone got any links to Gabian war heroes or what part Gambia played in the second world war ?
Or any personal stories
And is there a war memorial any where in Gambia in rememberence of Gambias fallen heros

Edited by - snuggels on 11 Aug 2011 00:25:48

Momodou

Denmark
11604 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  08:44:49  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Snuggles,
There is a memorial in Banjul somewhere in the big square and also there is the Fajara War Cemetery located on Kairaba Avenue.

There is a related subject at: http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7942

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  15:47:20  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Not about heros, but about ordinary Gambians who served in the Military,many years ago I met an old man outside the (closed) price control office in Barra who had served in the military and was bemoaning the fact that he didn't have an army pension,we talked for quite a while and he told me of his life and he remembered his army number and the outfit he had served with also he was very proud of his British C.O. he remembered that man with affection and also his name,after "storytime" he returned to his army pension problem,I suggested that he write to the UK with all his details to find out his situation,this he did.
On my next visit to Gambia 6 months later I searched out the old soldier,yes there he was stil sitting outside the closed office watching the world go by,I greeted him and asked him if he had written the letter that we spoke about last time I saw him, he replied that he had and received an official letter back from the Ministry of Defence in UK,explaining that he hadn't been awarded a pension because he didn't have enough service,and that any contributions to his pension that he had paid was refunded upon his leaving army service,he was content with that reply and very proud of his "official letter".
When I next searched for the old soldier,he was not in his usual place outside the closed office,why because he had died,I shall always remember that Old Soldier and out "storytime".

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  16:44:51  Show Profile
Thanks for the link very interesting
The only place I have seen a tribute to Gambians along with many other nationals was when I visited Hell Fire Pass part of the building of the notorious death railway in Burma as depicted in the film Bridge Over The River Kwai

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

Snuggles,
There is a memorial in Banjul somewhere in the big square and also there is the Fajara War Cemetery located on Kairaba Avenue.

There is a related subject at: http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7942

Edited by - snuggels on 11 Aug 2011 16:55:59
Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  16:22:02  Show Profile
Toubab
Very interesting as I have said else where mix with the locals and they will leave you with memories that will last you a life time

quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

Not about heros, but about ordinary Gambians who served in the Military,many years ago I met an old man outside the (closed) price control office in Barra who had served in the military and was bemoaning the fact that he didn't have an army pension,we talked for quite a while and he told me of his life and he remembered his army number and the outfit he had served with also he was very proud of his British C.O. he remembered that man with affection and also his name,after "storytime" he returned to his army pension problem,I suggested that he write to the UK with all his details to find out his situation,this he did.
On my next visit to Gambia 6 months later I searched out the old soldier,yes there he was stil sitting outside the closed office watching the world go by,I greeted him and asked him if he had written the letter that we spoke about last time I saw him, he replied that he had and received an official letter back from the Ministry of Defence in UK,explaining that he hadn't been awarded a pension because he didn't have enough service,and that any contributions to his pension that he had paid was refunded upon his leaving army service,he was content with that reply and very proud of his "official letter".
When I next searched for the old soldier,he was not in his usual place outside the closed office,why because he had died,I shall always remember that Old Soldier and out "storytime".

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11604 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  20:40:40  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
There was a war veteran in Barra called Kebba Jonkom (R.I.P). He is mentioned in the book "War Bush 81 (West African) Division in Burma 1943-1945" by John A.L.Hamilton.
Toubab, do you remember the man's name? I spoke to a local resident from Barra and the late Kebba Jonkom fits your discription.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  21:39:26  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Momodou, I am sorry but I don't, all I can remember was that he had a CO called McKensie or something like that, Burma does strike a bell though,it was a long time ago ,I have a feeling that there was no fire service then as the price control office was near where the Fire Station is now just past the boatyard,very likely the same man though.

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

There was a war veteran in Barra called Kebba Jonkom (R.I.P). He is mentioned in the book "War Bush 81 (West African) Division in Burma 1943-1945" by John A.L.Hamilton.
Toubab, do you remember the man's name? I spoke to a local resident from Barra and the late Kebba Jonkom fits your discription.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06