Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: World politics
 Better off under British rule?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kisley

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  14:14:21  Show Profile Send kisley a Private Message
"KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — A new poll suggests that most Jamaicans believe the island would be better off under British rule.

The poll of 1,008 Jamaicans for The Gleaner newspaper was conducted over four days by U.S. pollster Bill Johnson. Sixty percent of those surveyed believed the island would be better off if it had remained a U.K. colony

Seventeen percent said the island would be worse off as a British colony and 23 percent said they did not know. The poll had a margin of error of 4 percentage points"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/jamaica/8607495/Most-Jamaicans-believe-UK-rule-better-according-to-poll.html

A question to Gambians, do you think Gambia would have been better off if it had remained a British colony?

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  14:22:37  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
You have done it now Kesley, opened a hornets nest can't you hear the drone and buzzing of the politicos drawing ever closer ? boy are they and that you could suggest such a thing can almost hear the crackle and seething topics like a colony again, never,remember the things that you did in the past (100 years + ago) lets just watch quietly whilst their blood pressure rises up and up.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 03 Jul 2011 14:27:32
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  14:39:58  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
After their bloody civil war and political crises; Sierra Leone also declared it
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  20:45:22  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
So the questions are, if their wish to be ruled under British empire is really better, and how is this apply to Gambia?

diaspora! Too many Chiefs and Very Few Indians.

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  23:46:58  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Simple, turk, Jamaica was a colony and so was Gambia, a comparison between the two countries based on the results of the Jamaica poll,if Gambians were polled would the poll results be similar? even I understood that question.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  00:46:20  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Touby

Jamaica and Gambia has similarities and differences. I am not sure if the poll would result same.

1. Gambian and Jamaicans share the ethnic characteristic while Jamaica is more diverse which includes indigenous natives, sub-Saharan Africans, Syrian, Chinese, Lebanese, European for long time. Gambia's more African with some non-sub-Saharan population i.e. more recent Lebanese.

2. Gambians traditions and customs are stronger. While Jamaican preserve some of the African traditions and customs, they are more made up, re-invented culture with heavy influence of Africa, Spanish, Indian even Chinese also Afro-American and west.

3. Jamaicans suffered more than Africans as victim of slavery and colonization. They lost their connection with their roots. They are the generation of worst tragedy of human history. Sometimes I wonder if the rising violence of Jamaican society is linked to their suffering and revenge.

4. Gambians are Muslims and traditional African animists. They are more related to old continent/east and influenced under middle east, anti-western attitudes. Jamaicans are Christians mostly. In fact, everywhere I walk here there are some churches. Gambians may be more assertive to say no 'Going back to British Rule' than Jamaicans as they are more integrated to west in terms of religion and culture.

So two major questions we have. Would British rule be better in general or it would be better for one country than the other? And how would Gambian way of thinking vs Jamaican way of thinking respond to the question if British rule is favorable or not.

In my opinion, Gambians would be more resistant to the same question by answering negative than Jamaicans. Gambian are more relevant to east so being rule under British Empire would be less acceptable. Jamaica is in the region where there are still islands under western rule i.e. Martinique, Cayman Island, Aruba etc... Due to its closer links with west, Christianity and considering many Jamaicans are living in Canada, UK, USA, they are already accepted the rule of colonialism as a citizens of these countries, therefore, they are more likely to vote in favor and it looks like they already voted.

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  01:01:49  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Good try turk,put simply, in your view Gambians would vote NO,How about if I added an additional question ?
Are Jamaicans in general happier with the Western influence that you have detected,as opposed to the greater African influence that you appear to detect in Gambia ?

Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  01:26:57  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
I don't know. I am not sure if they are happier. But influence of west increasing, and Jamaicans in general thinking west is more promising. But what they think may not be the truth. For example, I am not sure if there is a link between increased western influence and the rise of crime. I know a decade is very short time period in the history but I felt safer in Kingston than now. Crime is very concerning, last year there was literally war between 'mafia' and its supporters vs Jamaican army. If there is a valid support for criminal elements in the country, that country has a serious problem.

My personal opinion is that westernization may have harmful effect in societies that are not western.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  01:54:10  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"I am not sure if there is a link between increased western influence and the rise of crime. I know a decade is very short time period in the history but I felt safer in Kingston than now"

Crime is on the increase EVERYWHERE,in the West in Africa,I think it is a sign of the times,in the UK we are constantly bombarded with US crime TV programmes (probably because SKY must buy this stuff very cheaply in bulk from the US)violence is constantly portrayed, Mafia, Gangs,murders,the lot, personally I feel that such portrails by the media is a great deal to blame for worldwide violence.Entertainment has gone down the drain quiz shows, bad comedy shows,rubbish panel Games,anything that is cheap to produce.Sorry maybe you like to watch violent "entertainment" I think its about time the world stopped for a little while and evaluated the NOW,if time could be turned back I would welcome that,cannot be done I know,progress.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 04 Jul 2011 01:55:52
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  01:59:32  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
POLITICOS ? Hello........... where are you..........? I was really expecting you all to descend on this topic fighting,
Oh sorry cannot break the never ending circle

Edited by - toubab1020 on 04 Jul 2011 02:00:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06