Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Science and Technology Forum
 Science and Technology
 Phone calls to the Gambia these days??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  18:52:15  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Its almost impossible to get through to the Gambia these days. I have been speaking with people both in Sweden and Canada and the problem is the same every where.

Whats going on?

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

kiwi

Sweden
661 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  22:59:24  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Thanks for the info. I changed to broadband operator two weeks ago and believed that was the problem but obviously not. Have tried several times during the evening but there is only noise on the line but no connection. My account at my phone company tells me that they have charged me for 4 calls though I never get an answer! You have better watch out.

kiwi

Edited by - kiwi on 01 May 2011 23:08:31
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  08:53:07  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi
My account at my phone company tells me that they have charged me for 4 calls though I never get an answer! You have better watch out.

Kiwi, same here too. They are charging for all attempted calls.
I received a call from Gambia, so its incoming calls to Gambia that’s not possible.

Go to Top of Page

concort

365 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  12:51:36  Show Profile Send concort a Private Message
Momodou, we experienced the same issue over the weekend as outlined above. Is the connection problem still on-going?

As Salamu Alaikum Waramatullah Wabarakatu
Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
661 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  13:06:09  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
I sent a text message to my contact in Gambia asking him to call me which he did, the connection was perfect. He also reported that there are no traces of any attempted calls to him. I called him back imediately from my landline telephone and cell phone as well. a lot of noise on the line, after one minute it starts ringing but no answer. I have now been charged for 6 attempted calls.
My phone company has promised to investigate the problem but I don´t expect them to be quick.

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Foni

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  19:05:01  Show Profile Send Foni a Private Message
I just got off the phone with Vodafone complaining about been charge while the call is not getting through and they did refund all my money thankfully. I learn that Gamtel has a new gateway partner and it's taking time to set up the new system. So lets hope the new partners come up with something better.

Foni
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  16:08:03  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Foni, you are right. I have just got through and it has been confirmed to me that the Government has a new Gateway partner.
It seems there is a hole through now but perhaps its not too early to jubilate.

This is another explanation from Senegambianews:Gambia government blocking international calls?

Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
661 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  23:21:54  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message

I never thought I would need to address this issue again. I was compensated for the problems that arose at the beginning and thought everything would work fine. It does not. Gradually, I discovered that I still get billed for calls that are not answered, there is a busy tone, or the receiver simply does not answer or the line is completely dead (which happens). I began making careful notes and then made a complaint to my telecom company. They blame various scenarios that "you can not hear the answer" , that the recipient has an answering machine, and they also claim that one always pays if you get a message like "The number you have dialled cannot be reached". I keep telling them that I have never been charged for this kind of messages! Today I received another response from a person in a senior position, claiming that all calls have been answered and continues:

This does not however mean that it is always the receiver who responded, it can also be surveillance equipment, voice mail, switchboard and other devices. What is happening is that the recipient's device sends a signal to our switch to activate the call, and the call are recorded as active.

Surveillance equipment? Switchboard? Other devices?

I am speechless!

So the company is telling me that it is completely normal to pay for all attempted calls.

I feel that at the moment I press the call-button the broadband starts milking money from my account.

By the way, is the mobile no starting with 98 an Africell or Gamcel number?

Is anyone else experiencing any problem or does it work well for you? I myself use broadband for calls.

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2011 :  22:03:11  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
If your friends have internet could you use skype?
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2011 :  23:18:29  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Kiwi, phone companies are milking us these times. I and many others here are experiencing the same. The credits on prepaid cards run out very quickly these days even when the calls are not going through.

Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
661 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  18:43:24  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
My friends have no internet but there is Skype Credit that enables calls to ordinary phones as I have heard. I will also need some kind of equipment, a headset with a microphone I think. Do I have a control over the calls and costs, I do not know.

Also I have uset prepaid cards sometimes, the connection is very bad sometimes, I make a quick call and next day all the money is gone.

No wonder Niklas Zenström, one of Skype´s creators now is one of Sweden´s richest men.

Should not President Jammeh be keen to have a well-functioning telephone connection with foreign countries? At least companies making business would need it.

kiwi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06