Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 Nko kumo....meaning of our common words
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  00:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Santanfara

quote:
Originally posted by Janko

Interesting and titling

I have a word in mind for a long time now; please help me to decode its components, just as Santanfara did above.
The word is Koodoh

Janko
My hunch is, Doh is work, koo (they said)
The word may have a connection with work to earn.. koh doh, they said work, from work you get the money.

Yes, work we do with our backs,manual labour, hence we lack the technology. And power or wealth was measure by the amount of workers one has. Therefore "Koo" in this case can also mean "back", manual. so koodoh in that case could mean "back-work" manual labour, thus, having one back, two backs, three backs under your controle indicates how rich you are. This is not money in notes, metal or electronic but the amout of workers.
The next question is how do we relate this concept of money/riches to Naa Fulloh , wealth?

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy

Edited by - Janko on 09 Apr 2011 00:30:55
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  22:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
Janko
I will along with explanation of Koo Doh, because farming use to be mainly bending with the hoe.
Naah Fulo (Come twise). The philosophical concept of wealth, money. In trade or business transaction, one expects a profit and/or loss.

It means, losing our wealth shouldn't send us to anxiety and becoming sad. But that we should dug in and expect better next time

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06