Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 PUBLIC NOTICE: Am I under Censorship by QTV?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  18:16:55  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PUBLIC NOTICE: Am I under Censorship by QTV?
By Madi Jobarteh

This video here finally confirmed that I am blacklisted, officially or unofficially, to appear on QTV. This event was the commemoration of World Press Freedom Day 2023 which was held on 3rd May 2023, at the American Corner, and I was among the key speakers. But quite conspicuously, my speech at the event was completely left out in the story.

For more than a year now, many sources have informed me that I was blacklisted by QTV and Qradio to appear on their screen or airwaves. Even where my pictures are shown, their stories leave out my speeches. In fact, in February 2023, I had personally invited several media houses including QTV to a program to provide coverage. Not only did QTV cover the program, but I was also interviewed by their reporter at the event. Up to this very moment, that story has not appeared on their screen! Why?

I have been reliably informed that several other individuals and institutions are censored by QTV for reasons best known to them. If confirmed, such an undemocratic and draconian stance tramples on my rights and that of others to dissenting and divergent opinion and uncensored expression. Indeed, such news is a disturbing development that must be challenged head on.

I have informed the President of the Gambia Press Union and the Executive Secretary of the Media Council of The Gambia about this matter which I consider to be utterly anti-freedom of expression and a suppression of media freedom. Also, I had sent a message to the QTV’s Editor-in-Chief to demand a clarification. I have not received any formal response yet. I intend to further submit a complaint to the National Human Rights Commission.

It must be noted that when a media house censors citizens, opinions, institutions, and issues, it is directly and indirectly forcing its journalists to censor themselves, willingly or unwillingly. Censorship is a threat to democracy because it suppresses speech and opinion thereby undermining transparency and accountability in society.

QTV/Qradio is a major media outlet in The Gambia, and its editorial decisions and actions have a direct and huge impact on democracy, human rights, and good governance in the country. For that matter, no one should ignore any media house more so a major outlet like QTV/Qradio that seems to blacklist and censor citizens and opinions. In a civilized society, no one should have the unilateral and unchecked power to censor.

I am therefore protesting censorship and those who perpetrate it. We must defend freedom of expression, which includes the unfettered exchange of dissenting and divergent opinions which are at the heart of democracy and human right protection. In this regard the media is the engine that animates democracy as it amplifies our voices. Any attempt to close out any voice only serves to constrain democracy.

Media houses should not censor individuals and opinions unless it can publicly show that those individuals or opinions have expressed hate, incitement to violence or anarchy according to an identified law.

For The Gambia Our Homeland

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  17:19:56  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

World Press Freedom Day 2023 which was held on 3rd May 2023, at the American Corner,

Read the Above for the full details and draw your own conclusion

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2023 :  12:02:38  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
QTV DENIES CENSORING MADI JOBARTEH
The Standard: June 1, 2023

By Alagie Manneh

https://standard.gm/qtv-denies-censoring-madi-jobarteh/

Leading independent television QTV, has denied accusations of censorship by prominent Gambian activist Madi Jobarteh.

In a Facebook post yesterday, Mr Jobarteh alleged that he has been “blacklisted” for years by QTV, which he said is a disturbing development that must be challenged head on.

“I have been reliably informed that several other individuals and institutions are censored by QTV for reasons best known to them,” Mr Jobarteh wrote on Monday. “If confirmed, such an undemocratic and draconian stance tramples on my rights and that of others to dissenting and divergent opinion and uncensored expression.”

The Standard contacted Ade Daramy, head of news at QTV, who denied the accusations.

“As the country’s first independent TV station, we take seriously the position and reputation we have earned and occupy and as such, we value our role to inform the public on matters of public interest.

“In doing so, we hope to be part of the media that stimulates public debate and caters to all shades of opinion, as can be seen from the various current affairs programmes on our channel. In our editorial team, we sometimes take decisions not to broadcast material for any number of reasons but not, to censor,” Daramy said in a statement shared with The Standard.

He further revealed that they have already engaged Mr Jobarteh to clear the air on the matter.

“Since the statement by Mr Jobarteh, I reached out to him via a telephone call and clarified the instances he quoted in his statement and assured him, as we can assure the public, that we will not be censoring him, or anyone else,” Daramy said.

Meanwhile, the president of the Gambia Press Union Muhammed Bah told The Standard that he has reported the matter to the Media Council for redress.

“I asked the Media Council to take note. The media should not be censoring anyone. Section 207 and 208 [of the Gambian constitution] calls for divergent and dissenting opinions,” he said.

The executive director of the Media Council Bai Emil Touray, said it would be premature for the Council to comment on the issue. “We have not done any due diligence investigations of the matter yet,” he told The Standard.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06