Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Barrow’s NPP forms alliance with Jammeh’s APRC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2021 :  12:39:46  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The APRC executive announced at a press conference yesterday that they have signed an MOU with NPP last Thursday to form an alliance for the December 4th elections where they agreed to vote for Adama Barrow; cabinet posts will be shared and Yaya Jammeh will return are some of the agreements.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2021 :  17:37:03  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is very confusing, if not shocking with all these news that come one after the other. Will it be good for the country and the people?

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  08:59:25  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi

It is very confusing, if not shocking with all these news that come one after the other. Will it be good for the country and the people?

Barrow wants to stay in power by all means and he has said that it’s life and death for him.
I believe it is the biggest disappointment by Adama Barrow because he came to power through the collective efforts of Gambians who want to see change from the 22 years of Jammeh’s rule. We are now back to square one if not worse.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  09:03:31  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Presidential Election – Adama Barrow is Yahya Jammeh’s Candidate

The Chronicle: Sep 4, 2021
By Musa Keita

https://www.chronicle.gm/presidential-election-adama-barrow-is-yahya-jammehs-candidate/

Former Dictator Yahya Jammeh’s party, the Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC), announced it would merge with current Gambia President Adama Barrow’s National Peoples’ Party (NPP) for the two political formations to back Adama Barrow in the coming December presidential election.

“I’m glad to report that the MoU agreement between APRC and NPP was signed on Thursday 2nd September 2021. […] We acted in the supreme interest of our country, our two political parties, and our people,” the APRC interim leader Fabakary Tombong Jatta told the media in a press conference Saturday.

From his exile in Equatorial Guinea, Yahya Jammeh pulled the strings for the new APRC-NPP alliance to become a reality. In doing so, Yahya Jammeh ensured that an explicit provision in the memorandum of understanding sealing the merger clearly spells out that he (Jammeh) will return to The Gambia should Adama Barrow win the coming presidential election.

“Whatever we are doing, former President Yahya Jammeh is aware and has endorsed it. […] Our objective is for former President Yahya Jammeh to return to this country peacefully and in dignity. And make no mistake, that gesture will be a good one for any government because the plurality of the Gambia, the stability of this country you cannot ignore.”

The announcement of Yahya Jammeh’s APRC and Adama Barrow’s NPP has sent shockwaves in Gambian Human Rights activist groups and the victims of Yahya Jammeh’s Human Rights abuses.

One such reaction is from former TANGO deputy executive and current head of the Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) in The Gambia Madi Jobarteh. “Adama Barrow unequivocally exemplifies a Traitor par excellence! The Gambia has never been so insulted and sold! The betrayal can only be comparable to Judas! Indeed Barrow has stabbed the wounds of Gambians with the sharpest, longest, and the biggest danger of betrayal. This dishonor stinks more than a rotten dead carcass. Shame!” Madi Jobarteh said.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  12:11:15  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Protesting the Betrayal of Adama Barrow
By Madi Jobarteh

The People of The Gambia ended Dictatorship by voting out the Tinpot Dictator in 2016 and voted in Adama Barrow. But today Adama decided to bring back the Tinpot Dictator in 2021 in total disregard of the best interest of the People. #Treason!

The treachery of Adama Barrow is apparent as noon day sun. The evidence lies in the fact that neither him nor NPP or APRC has the guts to disclose their obnoxious MoU publicly since they claimed to sign it on September 2. Rather this criminal agreement and document has been kept away from public view and knowledge because they know it represents the worst betrayal on earth.

The alleged document circulating on social speaks to the capacity of Adama Barrow to sell The Gambia, the real prodigal son of the motherland. Yes, NPP media platforms and surrogates can attempt to label that document as fake but if they have courage and honesty and believe in the justness and truth of the actions of their leader, let them just share the original authentic document... if they are honest indeed.

But they won’t because since 2017 Adama Barrow has championed himself to be the worst son of The Gambia. Far worse than Yaya Jammeh because which son on earth will know that a particular killer and rapist had killed and raped your father, mother, daughter and son yet that same person goes back to beg that particular killer and rapist to befriend!

This is what Adama Barrow has done to The Gambia. It is plain like water that under the APRC Regime led by Tinpot Dictator Yaya Jammeh, Gambian mothers, fathers, sons and daughters were brutally raped and mercilessly killed for 22 good years. During that period the APRC had total control of both the Executive and the Legislature yet they encouraged the brutality against Gambians in total abandonment of their constitutional and legal obligations to stop Yaya Jammeh.

It was because of that merciless brutality of that regime during which our citizens shed blood, tears and suffered broken bones that Gambians massively voted for Adama Barrow. To now have that same Adama Barrow abandon The Gambia and her crying citizens to run back to that killer and rapist tyrant and his evil party is indeed the most ungodly and unpatriotic act ever to take place on the soil of The Gambia.

Any Gambian, any political party, any CSO and any businessman or woman who fails to speak out to condemn this bastardization of our dear motherland should consider oneself as aiding and abetting this betrayal. Anyone who loves The Gambia and respect and value the humanity and dignity of The Gambia and her citizens must condemn this betrayal and should not remain still.

I may not have any power to change anything but as I stand here dressed in white and draped in our national colours to protest, I sincerely pray to Allah to smash and disgrace Adama Barrow on this earth and in the hereafter forever and ever. May Allah torment and disgrace all those people who stand behind him to defend, justify, support , encourage and advise him to betray Mother Gambia.

Today the souls of our departed are in deep pain. May Allah continue to grant them peace in Janatul Firdawsi. Amen

For The Gambia Our Homeland

Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  12:59:35  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Barrow wants to stay in power by all means and he has said that it’s life and death for him.
I believe it is the biggest disappointment by Adama Barrow because he came to power through the collective efforts of Gambians who want to see change from the 22 years of Jammeh’s rule. We are now back to square one if not worse.

Exactly. Barrow has entered into an unholy alliance. It´s shameful.

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  13:43:38  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
APRC, NPP form alliance to contest election
The Standard: SEPTEMBER 6, 2021

By Omar Bah

https://standard.gm/aprc-npp-form-alliance-to-contest-election0/

The former ruling APRC party announced on Saturday that it has agreed to form an alliance with President Barrow’s National People’s Party, NPP, for the December 4th presidential election after party founder and ex-president Yahya Jammeh gave approval.

APRC leader Fabakary Tombong Jatta made the announcement at a news conference at Coco Ocean Hotel attended by NPP and APRC rank and file members.

“I am glad to inform you that the MoU agreement between the APRC and the NPP was signed on the 2nd of September,” FTJ said.

He said a key condition for the alliance is allowing former president Jammeh to return to The Gambia and that the condition will come into effect when President Barrow wins re-election.

“It is part of the MoU that the light of the country and the beacon of hope for this country, Yahya Jammeh, should be accorded the opportunity to come back to this country,” he emphasised.

Jatta said Jammeh was consulted about the talks and had given his blessings to the proposal for the alliance.

“Whatever we are doing, former president Jammeh is aware of it,” he said.

Jatta thanked President Adama Barrow and assured him that the APRC will not betray the agreement. “The APRC does not betray trust. We are convinced that the two sides coming together is for the greater good of The Gambia and it will help ease reconciliation. We agreed in the MoU that all APRC sympathisers will vote for President Barrow and that if we win, we will be part of the government at all levels,” FTJ said.

Reaction

The announcement generated mixed reactions.

Economist and political analyst Nyang Njie said: “I am saddened by this arrangement. Gambians should not take this merger lightly as it has the tendencies to roll back the gains we made by pardoning perpetrators of heinous crimes against undeserving Gambians.

“The realignment of the Gambian political landscape is coming full circle. APRC/NPP can be considered an unholy alliance considering the ideals we all fought for in 2016. It may be a great day for President Barrow but it is a sad and sombre day for all those who gallantly fought to liberate our dearly beloved Gambia. Barrow has sold his conscience for the sake of perpetuation. I cry for my beloved Gambia.”

Former journalist and civil society activist Madi Jobarteh announced he will proceed on a one-man protest today over the alliance. “I will dress in white all throughout Monday to tell President Barrow that I vehemently condemn his alliance with the party of tyranny! That I stand with and for The Gambia…” Jobarteh wrote.

Rtd Lt Col Lamin Gano who operates a private security business welcomed the news of the alliance saying “it can only [lead to] a landslide victory”.

“Lest we forget, this party [APRC] alone pulled 40% in 2016. Combined that with the power of incumbency and the results can only be a landslide. With a capital C,” Gano enthused.

Former army chief Lang Tombong Tamba, APRC general secretary and minister Bala Garba Juhumpa, former GNA commander and diplomat Samsudeen Sarr, former parliamentarian and ex-UDP executive member Abdoulie ‘Suku’ Singhateh were among former and current distinguished APRC officials spotted at the news conference.

Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  18:07:48  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me what the real reason is why Barrow turned to ECOWAS with a request for Senegalese soldiers to be deployed in The Gambia, and how he managed to get his request granted by ECOWAS.
Gambia will soon be invaded by thousands of Senegalese soldiers. A troop consists of several individuals, so 625 troops should mean several thousand individuals. Is their task to make sure that as many people as possible vote for the "right" candidate?
Senegal is your closest neighbour; they are your brothers. Do not be too sure. The Gambia is a sovereign state. Once the sovereignty it is lost, it is difficult to get back.

God save Mama Gambia.

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2021 :  12:28:20  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
‘NPP-APRC, Worst Betrayal of Public Trust’ Say Victims of Jammeh Regime

The Chronicle: Sep 6, 2021
By Musa Keita

https://www.chronicle.gm/npp-aprc-worst-betrayal-of-public-trust-say-victims-of-jammeh-regime/

Gambia Center for victims of Human rights violations in a demonstration asking for justice
The Gambia Center for Victims of Human Rights Violations has expressed deep sadness by the recent alliance concluded between the NPP/APRC. In a press release issued Monday, the victims of the atrocities and human rights violations committed by Yahya Jammeh’s regime smell foul play with the omerta surrounding the full content of the purported signed memorandum of understanding between the two political camps.

“As purportedly claimed by the Interim Leader of the APRC Fabakary Tombong Jatta and the Deputy Spokesperson of the National People’s Party (NPP) to have signed an MOU on 2 September 2021, the parties failed to disclose their obnoxious MOU publicly because it represents the worst betrayal of public trust“.

The victims’ community finds it utterly shocking and deplorable that President Adama Barrow’s NPP goes into an alliance with “the former APRC regime led by a tinpot dictator Yaya Jammeh who orchestrated the crimes of mass killings and raped innocent mothers and daughters, and fathers and sons for 22 years of APRC tyrannical regime.”

The press release further reads that “The victims find it quite disheartening and treacherous for Adama Barrow to abandon the Gambia’s Transitional Justice Process and her crying citizens to run back to that killer and rapist tyrant and his terrorist party for an Alliance to consolidate a desire for the self-perpetuating rule.”

The shocking and bewildering nature of the move comes as, according to the victims, “The Alliance came at a time when the Truth, Reparations, and Reconciliation Commission (TRRC) is at the tail end of its mandate and subsequent submission of its final report and recommendations to the President. Therefore, the Alliance is perceived as a threat that may affect the implementation of TRRC recommendations by the government as well as the healing process of victims of the former ruling government“.

The Victim Center and the community of victims of the former regime of the APRC see this Alliance as outrageous and unpatriotic. Therefore, Jammeh victims say they expect all Gambians to express their disappointment regardless of party affiliation.

The Gambia Center for Victims of Human Rights Violations says it will continue to work with relevant partners to facilitate justice to victims through national, regional, and international mechanisms to ensure that the recommendations of the TRRC are fully implemented to safeguard the rights of victims in the country.

Finally, victims of Human Rights abuses under Yahya Jammeh’s dictatorship “strongly advise the President to respect the promotion and protection of fundamental human rights as enshrined and entrenched in the 1997 Constitution of The Gambia”.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2021 :  14:25:06  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Resignation lette by Fatou Jaw Manneh

Breaking News:
I HAVE RESIGNED FROM THE BARROW GOVERNMENT. BELOW IS THE RESIGNATION LETTER.

Sukuta
Kombo North
West Coast
7/9/2021

H. E. Adama Barrow
President of the Republic of the Gambia
State House, Banjul

Dear Mr. President,
RE: RESIGNING FROM THE POSITION OF HONORARY ADVISER ON STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION, DEVELOPMENT AND EMERGING SOCIAL ISSUES
I wish to inform you about my resignation from the position of Honorary Adviser on Strategic Communications, Development, and Emerging Social Issues with immediate effect.

The last few months have been both educational and challenging for me. I am dedicated and always devoted to contribute and bring insights to meaningful change in our country, the Gambia. I have not been able to access, utilize and exercise demonstrably the roles and functions I was meant to serve in your government. I have values, principles, ethics, and morals, which I cherish exceptionally and protect over time.

Your decision to ally with the APRC has many implications for governance and integrity associated with my roles and functions. I can't entirely agree with the conceptual framework of the alliance, and it is my firm belief that this particular alliance undermines the integrity of your government and jeopardizes everything I stood for as a journalist, activist, politician, community worker, learner, and educator.

Personally, I am not against some form of amnesty at a later date to Jammeh and his cohorts of abusers, in the name of peace and reconciliation, but this blanket amnesty on these terms are unimaginable and an insult to Gambians.

From an ethical perspective allying with APRC is a total miscalculation of our spirit of NEVER AGAIN and a direct insult to the victims of Jammeh’s 22 years rule of terror
I was excited at the opportunity accorded to me and willing to help to usher in democracy for the new Gambia. I would instead support you on that trajectory and lose elections than you win elections with a formal alliance with a dictator on these fraudulent terms that not only undermine our quest for democracy but shows an outright abuse of power and your weak leadership. It also clearly demonstrates you have no authority and you are not in control. This deal does not only show the lack of will-to-power as a leader, but that your party has been hijacked under your nose, the march to democracy undermined, AND VOTES AT ANY COST MIGHT LEAD TO A POLITICAL GRAVE.

Thus, I wish to thank you for allowing me to contribute to national development. My little knowledge, experience, and project development can be best served somewhere else in the country.

Best regards,
Fatou Jaw Manneh

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06