Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Dodgy voters cards,who is doing this ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2021 :  14:56:35  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SNIPPET 1:"The Standard understands that several other people made similar discoveries."

SOURCE LINK:

https://www.freedomnewspaper.com/2021/04/10/breaking-news-kanifing-estate-man-found-50-new-voters-cards-dumped-outside-his-home-the-voters-cards-have-no-pictures-or-names-they-were-blank/

==========

https://standard.gm/iec-to-explain-position-on-voter-cards-discovery/

==========
IEC TO EXPLAIN POSITION ON ‘VOTER CARDS’ DISCOVERY

By Omar Bah on April 12, 2021

The Independent Electoral Commission has confirmed to The Standard yesterday that the electoral body has seen reports on social media of purported new blank voter cards allegedly found in Kanifing but said he could not officially comment on the matter immediately.

About 50 blank cards strikingly similar to Gambian voter cards were found by one Molamin Gikineh at his Kanifing Estate compound gate on Saturday. The cards bear the name and logo of the Independent Electoral Commission as the issuing authority though they don’t have any pictures, names, addresses, dates or any other details of a voter. The blank cards though have what looks like the signature of the IEC chairman.

Molamin Gikineh, speaking in a video doing the rounds on social media, said he doesn’t know the person (s) who dumped the voter cards at his home.

“I found the cards at my house gate just after 8:00 in the evening. I will report the matter to the Kanifing police and as well hand the cards over to the police,” he told Freedom Newspaper oline.

The Standard contacted Samboujang Njie, the chief electoral officer at the IEC about Gikineh’s startling discovery.

He said: “We will look into these things tomorrow (Monday) and I will get back to you. For now, I cannot comment on it because I have not spoken to the chairman or anyone but we will give you some information about anything we know. But as far as I am concerned, all the cards I saw are blank and when that’s the case, we don’t have any issue,” he said.

When contacted for comments, the police spokesperson Superintendent Lamin Njie said he was busy at the time and promised to call back. But until the time of going to press he had not called back.

Meanwhile, The Standard understands that several other people made similar discoveries.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 12 Apr 2021 14:59:30

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  15:50:01  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+++++++++++

Personally I am shocked and disappointed that the SECURITY and confidence that this "clarification" as percieved by SOME of the population of Gambia AND especially those Gambians in the Disporia,only reinforces a feeling that to instead of destroying the "OLD" voters cards in a secure way, someone within the administration has allowed then to be dropped at the doorstep of people leading to total confusion .Not part of a confidence building excercise for any organisation.
++++++++++

RELATED LINK:https://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/headlines/iec-calls-for-calm-while-assuring-to-issuing-different-voter-cards-to-previously-used

RELATED LINK:

https://standard.gm/opposition-demand-investigation-into-street-voters-cards/

==========

https://foroyaa.net/iec-says-blank-voters-cards-found-around-kanifing-were-part-of-old-stock/

==========
IEC Says Blank Voters’ Cards Found Around Kanifing Were Part of Old Stock

By Kebba Mamburay,
Foroyaa: April 14, 2021

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has issued a statement indicating that the blank voters’ cards that were found around Kanifing recently are remainders of the old stock of the previous registration exercise of 2011 and 2016.

The Commission said they learnt this development from the Media.

“The IEC hereby clarifies that these blank voters’ cards were remainders of the old stock of the 2011 and 2016 voter registration exercises which are presently being disposed off to provide space for the arrival of new stock of voters’ cards, due in The Gambia in few weeks,” the Commission said.

One Molamin Gikineh, a resident in Kanifing Estate/Layout, was reported to have found numerous disposed voters’ cards around his neighbourhood.

Most kids were found around town playing with these voters’ cards and some people already started suggesting that the voters’ cards can be tempered or forged by others illegally to secure themselves voters’ card to vote in forthcoming election. They opined that this might breed political or electoral disorder because the voters’ cards bear no names, pictures, or any other details which raised concern amongst the citizens.

Nonetheless the IEC said it wished to inform everyone that the blank voters’ cards were never in the database of the IEC.

“It may interest the general public to note that these cards are going to be absolete upon the commencement of the general voter registration on 29th May 2021.

“The new voters’ cards for the 2021 general voter registration bear some features that are different from these old and obsolete blank cards,” the statement said.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 14 Apr 2021 16:24:23
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2021 :  13:58:57  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SNIPPET:

"State House, Banjul, 13th April 2021: President Adama Barrow said it is important that the country have an independent and impartial electoral body to conduct free and fair elections. He made the remarks at the swearing-in ceremony of the Vice-Chairperson of the Independent Electoral Commission, Mr. Joseph Colley, today at the State House. While congratulating the new electoral Commissioner, President Barrow pledged his government’s commitment to a free and fair election, stating, “As a government, the political will is 100 percent, that we conduct free and fair elections. Africa and the entire world is looking up to The Gambia and 2021 is a very important year for this country.”

==========

https://standard.gm/iecs-function-demands-high-independence-0/

==========
IEC’s function demands high independence
The Standard: April 15, 2021

State House, Banjul, 13th April 2021: President Adama Barrow said it is important that the country have an independent and impartial electoral body to conduct free and fair elections. He made the remarks at the swearing-in ceremony of the Vice-Chairperson of the Independent Electoral Commission, Mr. Joseph Colley, today at the State House. While congratulating the new electoral Commissioner, President Barrow pledged his government’s commitment to a free and fair election, stating, “As a government, the political will is 100 percent, that we conduct free and fair elections. Africa and the entire world is looking up to The Gambia and 2021 is a very important year for this country.”

Having sworn-in to the oaths of office, secrecy, and allegiance to the country, Mr. Colley extended his appreciation to the President for the trust bestowed on him and pledged to perform as expected to maintain the integrity of the Electoral Commission. “Being elevated from the secretariat to the Commission has caused me to reaffirm my unwavering commitment and courage to ensure the creation of a more level playing field in the political arena as the electoral laws of The Gambia have called for,” said Mr. Colley. He added that election is the business of all, as such implored all political parties and the stakeholders to support the Commission in making The Gambia’s electoral process the most peaceful, trusted, and acceptable.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  10:04:28  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

==========

https://foroyaa.net/on-blank-voters-cards/

==========

Foroyaa EDITORIAL: April 15, 2021

On Blank Voters’ Cards

The Advice Is To Hold A Joint Press Conference With IPC

The Chairperson of the IEC has issued a Press Release to indicate that he has learnt from the media that blank voters’ cards were found around Kanifing.

He tried to clarify that the blank voters’ cards were remnants “of the old stock of the 2011 and 2016 voter registration exercises which are presently being disposed off to provide space for the arrival of the new stock of voters’ cards due in The Gambia.”

The Chairman explained that “these blank voters’ cards were never in the database of the IEC”

According to him the new voters ‘Cards will bear features that would be different from the blank cards that were found.

This is a big lesson for the IEC and the Nation. How are identity documents to be discarded when they become obsolete? The incident should raise such a fundamental question. The IEC needs an incinerator to ensure that all obsolete voters‘ cards are reduced to ashes to avoid what happened.

Secondly , Foroyaa is of the view that the IEC should have invited the IPC to examine the cards and hold a joint Press Conference to enlighten the public .

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2021 :  12:53:31  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

=========
https://standard.gm/gambia-for-all-concerned-about-blank-voters-card-discovery0/

==========

Press release on April 19, 2021

The discovery of multiple, apparently genuine blank voter’s cards in trash cans around the Kanifing municipality is of serious concern to The Gambia For All (GFA) Party. While giving them the benefit of doubt, the explanation being offered by high-ranking IEC officials is neither convincing nor reassuring. The matter cannot be trivialized as just a case of the organization getting rid of obsolete material.

Whether they know it or not, these are confidential and sensitive national documents that do not belong to trash cans in people’s backyards. They are blank voter’s cards with the signature of the current chairman of the IEC. In the era of modern photoshop technology, it would not be unreasonable to assume that the cards have been used or could be used for sinister purposes.

National elections are a serious matter for any democracy; and every effort must be made by people entrusted with the conduct of such an onerous task to be mindful of the consequences of their failure to act professionally, diligently, and fairly. We hope and expect the matter will be independently investigated to clear doubt in the minds of voters and all stakeholders.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06