Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 Today is Sankt Hans - the burning of witches
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11604 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  21:25:01  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Today is sankt Hans evening in Denmark and other countries in Europe. The event is marked by burning fires and the burning of puppets that are meant to symbolise witches. The burning fires are accompanied by music by church choirs and in some instances rock music. In the old days, people suspected of being witches used to be burnt to death in Europe and the church had a big role in this from 1540-1693. It is said that the last witch in Denmark was burnt in 1693 but unofficially a witch was lynched as late as 1897.

The witch is usually associated with an elderly woman who is probably poor.

Danish bonfire with with the traditional burning of a witch on 23rd June, Sankt Hans aften ("St. John's Eve").

See also archived Topic: http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3887

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  21:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
A lot of innocent people were probably victimized by such a cruel method of dealing with alleged witches/wizards, similar to what was seen happening in the Gambia last year. I am truly not doubting that bad people exist, but the criteria used in identifying them (witches/wizards), victimization and punishment over the ages is simply shameful and very inhumane. I am really surprised that such a backward era still exist among nations that count themselves as belonging to civilization. I am, truly in doubt of such rationale. It is for people who champion human rights to condemn the act, and call for a complete stop for such a lunacy way of thinking.

Thanks for Sharing Momodou. I never knew such a thing existed on earth -I definately missed that post in 2007. It is a total shame!

yj

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:

Edited by - Dalton1 on 23 Jun 2010 21:53:18
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11604 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  22:51:40  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
The state minister has just given a speech about Danish values at one of such burning fires. It is an entrenched tradition.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11604 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  21:40:49  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
They are burning witches here today

Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
661 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  23:09:56  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Is that woman Pia Kj... something thrown into the fire yet? She would make a good fuel wouldn´t she?

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Moe

USA
2326 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  23:50:21  Show Profile Send Moe a Private Message
No wonder all The cyber witches are hiding today,...........Peace

I am Jebel Musa better yet rock of Gibraltar,either or,still a stronghold and a Pillar commanding direction

The GPU wants Me Hunted Down for what I don't know .....
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11604 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  09:32:38  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Kiwi, she is the real witch.

quote:
Originally posted by kiwi

Is that woman Pia Kj... something thrown into the fire yet? She would make a good fuel wouldn´t she?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06