Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Muster
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  00:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Folks,

I know this one sounds funny. I am sure there are many other English words that fall into category where the dictionary meaning can be quite different to its meaning in context as maybe used in a sentence. Can muster be used to mean fully mastered or gained clear knowledge of? I appreciate any insightful thoughts on the applications of the word muster. I already checked the dictionary, but the meanings weren’t satisfying to what I was expecting. For example, when referring to students understanding a certain topic of discourse, can we say, “The students will muster… or the students mustered…?”

Thank you & appreciated on your continued enlightenment.

Best regards,

Yero.

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  01:54:12  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Dalton 1
Am I linguistic expert ? NO.
Was I born and bred in England?. Yes.

OK, the word Muster is a word that is very dated in the 21st Century and not in common use, I think it would mostly be used when talking about the armed forces,(soldiers, sailors etc.)
IN MY OPINION: The meaning that you wish to convey in your example “The students will muster… or the students mustered…?” would not be easily understood by the average person today,
I would suggest that you use words similar to these.
The students all appear to have mastered (the Topic) and all have a clear understanding of (The topic)

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/pass-muster?showCookiePolicy=true
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/muster

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 25 Oct 2013 02:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  02:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Toubab,

Thanks for your insightful thoughts. I am glad you were able to narrow it down in that angle. I will certain take "dated" on this word as you positioned.

Thanks again...much appreciated on your timely respond.

Best always,
Yero

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  18:28:42  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Pleased to be of assistance.Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalton1

Toubab,

Thanks for your insightful thoughts. I am glad you were able to narrow it down in that angle. I will certain take "dated" on this word as you positioned.

Thanks again...much appreciated on your timely respond.

Best always,
Yero

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06