Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Heavy downpour inundates households in KM, WCR
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11525 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  10:25:51  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Heavy downpour inundates households in KM, WCR

Daily Observer: Published on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The heavy downpour that persistently pounded communities within the Greater Banjul Area and beyond for almost 24 hours Monday through Tuesday has inundated several households, causing temporal displacement and the destruction of properties and foodstuff.

In some places, roads were almost unmotorable due to the fact that they were completely submerged, making it risky for drivers to pass through. Monday and Tuesday downpours are the biggest since the rainy season began in June, leaving many with the fear that the destruction it would cause will be beyond measure. But this didn’t take many people by surprise given the fact that the month of August more often than not registers more rains.

Read Full Story

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Momodou

Denmark
11525 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  09:04:23  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
HEAVY RAIN CAUSES DESTRUCTION IN BAKOTEH

By Kebba Jeffang

Foroyaa: Published on Wednesday, 14 August 2013

The heavy downpour, which started on Monday evening and continued up to Tuesday, has resulted in the flooding of some settlements in the Kanifing Municipality and causing serious damages to buildings, foodstuff, household materials etc. The worst hit parts are those situated in the flood prone areas such as the Bakoteh settlement behind the former ‘Tippa Garage’ which is on a watercourse leading to the Kotu stream.

When this reporter visited the area, he spoke to one of the victims, Isatou Beyai, whose house was inundated with rain water which destroyed her household furniture and foodstuff. She said the rain started pouring down heavily around 7pm on Monday and continued all throughout the night until the following morning when it was coming intermittently up until around 2pm.
“The water has destroyed one full bag and a half bag of rice that was kept in the house as well as some of the furniture. Presently, we don’t have clothes to put on, as everything in the house is soaked with this filthy water,” said the desperate looking Isatou.
Another flood victim in the same area, Binta Jaiteh, is the landlady of one of the compounds where the rain water has down a building. Explaining what happened, she described the destruction caused by the rain water as one of the worst incidents she has ever experienced in her life. “I have been staying here for the past 26 years but I have never experienced such a flood disaster.
When it started raining yesterday, I advised all the tenants in my compound who are living in the mud block houses to vacate their rooms as the downpour was continuous and very heavy.
I feared that it would lead to destruction and that thank God, exactly as I thought, the mud block houses crumbled immediately after their occupants vacated,” said the landlady. Binta said a lot of materials and household belongings of her tenants were destroyed, adding that they were lucky that no one got injured. She, however, attributed the cause of this flooding which, she said, is affecting her compound for the first time, to the cement block fences erected on the waterways by the new settlers in the area.
“We could not sleep since yesterday when the rain started as the rain water inundated everywhere and there was no place for us to lie down,” said Modou Barry. Modou said he is staying with his aunt and that their beds, chairs, refrigerator, clothes etc. were all covered in the water.
Other victims, namely Mbinky Joof, Ramatoulie Mboob and Masanneh Beyai and Jane Sanyang all narrated their ordeal in the wake of the torrential rain which flooded their settlement. Also visiting the flood area are the Bakoteh Ward Councillor, Mr. Yusupha Sanyang, and a delegation from the Disaster Management Team. The Ward Councilor expressed his sympathy for the victims and said they are there in order to get first hand information on the flood disaster.
He said another team will be visiting the place to get the necessary information and after which the victims will be given a token as disaster relief.

Source: Foroyaa

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2013 :  21:14:24  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
I have heard from a Gambian friend that there has been very heavy rain for the last 2 days and there has been a lot of flooding and damage to houses.
Can anyone give me further details?
I hope everyone is safe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06