Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: Music
 Manding Morry
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  19:12:44  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
I have no idea what he sings about but it sounds nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7iydVW8kI

kiwi

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  01:30:00  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
KIWI. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS BEAUTIFUL MUSIC, UNDILUTED ORIGINAL SMILING COAST ROOTS AFRO MANDING SONG, TRADITIONAL MANDING CULTURE PROMOTED, NICE CAPTIVATING VIDEO SHOOT CLIP, SWEET SMILES, INTRODUCING THIS TALENTED ARTIST DISCOVERED AND SURPRISINGLY A RARE GEM IN GAMBIAN MUSIC; WHOSE SOUL VOICE AMAZINGLY CAN ONLY REMIND US "GOLDEN VOICE" GREAT LATE PAP TOURAY (MAY HIS SOUL R.I.P) OF IFANGBONDI SONGS ("SANJO" HERE) & (JULDEH CAMARA'S "KIBARU" HERE) AND TOURAY KUNDA FAMILY SONGS ( "Fondinké" HERE) WITH ("SALYA" HERE) & ( "KALO KALO" HERE).

WISHING HIM EVERY SUCCESS. PRAY GOD PROTECT AND GUIDE HIM ON RIGHT PATH. AMEEN!

MORE MANDING MORRY SONGS;

Manding Morry- Gambia La Diya

Manding Morry, Dj Boka & NB- Guinea Bissau Gambia 1love

Edited by - kobo on 05 May 2013 19:41:19
Go to Top of Page

Senegambia

175 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  09:24:45  Show Profile Send Senegambia a Private Message
Nice music. So much coming out from Gambia these days but still hard to find one this good. Thanks for sharing guys!

Tesito

Go to Top of Page

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  18:47:53  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message

Kiwi many thanks for your link - long time I have been trying to find this track & not knowing the artist. I'm really pleased.

The world would be a poorer place if it was peopled by children whose parents risked nothing in the cause of social justice, for fear of personal loss. (Joe Slovo - African revolutionary)
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  19:50:12  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Kiwi. We should thank you because we all enjoying them over and over again.

MANDING MORRY HAS DISCOVERED HIS NICHE "AFROMANDING" SOUNDS; ESPECIALLY HIS FOLK CULTURE & FOLK MUSIC AND SHOULD AVOID AT ALL COST SHIFTING INTO NON-CULTURAL MUSIC LIKE RAP MUSIC ETC. IF CONSISTENT AND WITH PROPER MANAGEMENT SUCCESS IS GUARANTEED FOR HIM IN MUSIC INDUSTRY; AS BIG TIME ARTIST NOT ONLY FOR THE GAMBIA OUR HOMELAND BUT GLOBAL

Edited by - kobo on 05 May 2013 22:14:05
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  13:22:43  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Singateh Feat Manding Morry & Bro K- Fantang Ma (Official Video)

Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  22:43:57  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Glad to be of help

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  23:07:24  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by kiwi

I have no idea what he sings about but it sounds nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7iydVW8kI

YOU ASKING ABOUT "WHAT HE SINGS" AND HOPEFULLY SOMEONE BETTER IN MANDINKA WILL VOLUNTEER WITH EXPLAINING, TRANSCRIBING OR TRANSLATING "NNAN KAMMA" (TAKE ME AWAY) LYRICS

WE HAVE MOMODOU, SENEGAMBIA, JANKO AMONGST OUR HUMBLE MEMBERS THAT WE CAN COUNT AND RECKON CAN HELP

Edited by - kobo on 08 May 2013 04:45:11
Go to Top of Page

tiramakhan

25 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  13:31:49  Show Profile Send tiramakhan a Private Message

Kobo writes:
"Kiwi. thanks for sharing this beautiful music, undiluted original smiling coast roots afro manding song, traditional manding culture promoted (…); whose soul voice amazingly can only remind us "golden voice" great late Pap Touray (may his soul r.i.p) of ifangbondi songs ("Sanjo" here) & (Juldeh Camara's "Kibaru" here) and Touray Kunda family songs ( "Fondinké" here) with ("Salya" here) & ( "Kalo Kalo" here)"
"Manding Morry has discovered his niche "afromanding" sounds; especially his folk culture & folk music and should avoid at all cost shifting into non-cultural music like rap music etc. if consistent and with proper management success is guaranteed for him in music industry; as big time artist not only for the gambia our homeland but global"

Here's to set the record straight about the Afromanding sound as pioneered by Ifang Bondi and adopted by musicians throughout West Africa.
The true Afromanding sound is an innovative development of the traditional music styles of different West African cultures, including transposition to modern instruments.
The name refers to the ancient Manding empire which united all these cultures.
Fueled by the originators' pan-African sentiments the new music style represented a strong back-to-the roots movement, discarding western influences.

Afromanding pieces feature a specific ethnic style - Mandinka/Fula/Jola/Wolof/Serer etc. - incorporating scales, modes and rhythms typical for that particular music idiom.
Apart from his Mandinka lyrics and some formulaic mbalax, Manding Morry's tracks lack such traditional components. His is a typical crossover product, borrowing heavily from mainstream R&B and hip hop.

The Afromanding generation of musicians stressed their African identity. The current generation, with access to social media, eagerly embraces global trends, without qualms about the mostly western origins.
As elsewhere young urban audiences in The Gambia clearly favour instant YouTube style entertainment over artistic craftsmanship provided by an elite of accomplished music professionals.

Comparing Manding Morry to lead singers of Ifang Bondi or Toure Kunda is incorrect as Manding Morry aka Manding Gangsta isn't a singer but a rapper, and quite proud to be so.
It takes a superior voice, extensive musical training and knowledge plus sheer hard work to stand a chance as a successful singer. If Manding Morry has any ambition at all to embark on a professional career as a singer he still has a long way to go. Even then, it's doubtful whether he will ever be in the same league with vocal virtuosos as Pa Touray, Ali Harb or Alhadj Samb.

It is a misconception that a proper management guarantees success. It tends to be the other way around: success enables artists to get themselves a proper management.

For a taste of undiluted Afromanding by the next generation of Gambian musicians, check out Sura Susso, performing together with Binta Suso, children of Ifang Bondi's kora maestro Mamodou Susso:
"Chorobai Samba" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGWqU_Lc2oA

Sura shows his versatility with a foot in both the Afromanding and hip-hop camp: "MLK Feat Sura Susso - Musso Kendo" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vNaKsjNPMg

Topping off this post with an exhilarating duet between Sura and his brother Seckou Keita, a great and adventurous kora player in his own right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pa7JGbg830

Both Sura Susso and Seckou Keita are celebrated international artists, touring worldwide. Their performances ensure further exposure of the Afromanding sound.
Both are acclaimed for their successful collaborations with musicians worldwide.
Sura Susso: http://www.surasusso.com/
Seckou Keita: http://www.seckoukeita.com/

The world is divided into people who do things, and people who get the credit. Try to belong to the first class - there's far less competition (D. Morrow)
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  19:06:22  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
tiramakhan Thanks for your comments.

Initially when I heard the first track "Nnan Kamma" (take me away), the sensation reminded me of Late Pap Touray (Ifangbondi with Afromanding sounds)and Touray Kunda; and for that track only of Manding Morry I maintained my position on it. How would you rate or describe his masterpiece sound track "Nnan Kamma" (take me away); rated by me that he has discovered his niche for success through "hard work" and proper management?

We appreciate all your comments and setting the records straight. This is not first time you have proof to us that you are very knowledgeable in the artists and Gambian music industry. However on your comment QUOTED; "Comparing Manding Morry to lead singers of Ifang Bondi or Toure Kunda is incorrect as Manding Morry aka Manding Gangsta isn't a singer but a rapper, and quite proud to be so", I did not compare but felt inspired from his track "Nnan Kamma" (take me away) and stated "reminding us" them. What I heard on that track is not " Manding Gangsta aka rapper" style but beautiful soulful afromanding and credit deserved on folk singer (in that voice, arrangement form and production style)

I tried to gave full support and encouragement but it appears you are in a better position respect to rate this new talent than me. I agree with your views but reminding you that Manding Morry cannot do it alone. Ifangbondi and Touray Kunda were great groups of talented artists. Having listened to Sura Susso and Seckou Keita, it is my view that Manding Morry has similar talent in singing and can blend perfectly well with them. However they may have better talents playing the "kora" and other instruments than him

I must observe that we are also missing paying tribute to Kora king Jaliba Kuyateh and Kumareh Band also ruling as master meastro musician on afromanding scale.

JALIBA KUYATEH AND KUMAREH BAND

Jaliba Kuyateh New CD 2011

Edited by - kobo on 12 May 2013 23:24:17
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2013 :  21:21:39  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
SPECIAL COOL ONES FROM THE KING JALIBA KUYATEH DEDICATED TO YOU ALL
Mbour Dabo

Djaliba KOUYATE ŕ Coubanao

quote:
Originally posted by tiramakhan

"Comparing Manding Morry to lead singers of Ifang Bondi or Toure Kunda is incorrect as Manding Morry aka Manding Gangsta isn't a singer but a rapper, and quite proud to be so."

ON COMMENT ABOVE IT APPEARS THERE IS A CONTRAST IN STYLE FOR MANDING MORRY'S MASTERPIECE "Nnan Kamma" (take me away) WITH THIS YOUNG GAMBIAN TALENTED RAPPER ON "NJUNKU". ANYWAY BOTH ARE SWEET SONGS BUT DIFFERENT

ST Da Gambian Dream- "NJUNKU" Music Video

Edited by - kobo on 27 May 2013 22:38:43
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  12:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
Yes,
Manding Morri has finally grafted Gambia’s modern music since IFANG.
And as some have already said, the sky is the limit.
The beat, the singing/rap is a perfect hybrid that Gambia alas can call hers.
Thanks Manding Morri.

"It is only my culture that can make me a STAR"(Musa Ngom)
http://www.cincopa.com/~A4LA3I7gpn0f

You're not logged in! Click here to listen.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy

Edited by - Janko on 29 May 2013 13:15:34
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  10:02:35  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Baddibunka Feat Sandeng- Kanu Musu (Feb 2013)

badibunka and jah alex pt4

MANDING MORRY SHOW ENDS HERE!
Go to Top of Page

tiramakhan

25 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  16:29:39  Show Profile Send tiramakhan a Private Message

Janko writes:
"The beat, the singing/rap is a perfect hybrid that Gambia alas can call hers", endorsing the earlier conclusion: "His is a typical crossover product, borrowing heavily from mainstream R&B and hip hop."
It has now been proved beyond doubt that - in defiance of Kobo's stern advice that he "should avoid at all cost shifting into non-cultural music like rap music" - this is exactly what Manding Morry together with his age group, has committed himself to.

"The sky is the limit", but it takes a high ladder to get there.
It seems premature to hail an inexperienced young artist as a big time artist not only for The Gambia our homeland but global on the strength of his lyrics on a 40 min. debut album.
Why not grant the kid a decade or so - most major artists needed far longer than that - to find himself such ladder and get climbing, in the process getting a glimpse of the world beyond the Kombos. Getting higher, he may even spot - well over the country's borders - descendants of the once indigenous Afromanding breed.

Gambian rap artists certainly don't lack a drive to achieve.
If only they would cut out this megalomania which seems to overwhelm them the moment they have negotiated the bottom rung of the ladder - believing to have arrived at the summit, and claiming superstar status.
Instead they rather get themselves a proper musical eduction. Nowadays with zillions of online music tutorials - from basic solfege to advanced instrumental or vocal master classes by international top musicians - a vocational training is within reach of everyone with a sense of purpose.
Worldwide aspiring (hip hop) artists found out long time ago about musical skills being a prerequisite to the next step on the ladder.

The world is divided into people who do things, and people who get the credit. Try to belong to the first class - there's far less competition (D. Morrow)
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  21:51:35  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by tiramakhan

Janko writes:
"The beat, the singing/rap is a perfect hybrid that Gambia alas can call hers", endorsing the earlier conclusion: "His is a typical crossover product, borrowing heavily from mainstream R&B and hip hop."
It has now been proved beyond doubt that - in defiance of Kobo's stern advice that he "should avoid at all cost shifting into non-cultural music like rap music" - this is exactly what Manding Morry together with his age group, has committed himself to

I WOULD REPEAT WHAT I STATED THAT; However on your comment QUOTED; "Comparing Manding Morry to lead singers of Ifang Bondi or Toure Kunda is incorrect as Manding Morry aka Manding Gangsta isn't a singer but a rapper, and quite proud to be so." THAT I did not compare but felt inspired from his track "Nnan Kamma" (take me away) and stated "reminding us" them. What I heard on that track is not " Manding Gangsta aka rapper" style but beautiful soulful afromanding and credit deserved on folk singer (in that voice, arrangement form and production style); COURTESY OF SUNLAND MUSIC LABEL

ALSO THE COMMENT THAT; WHOSE SOUL VOICE AMAZINGLY CAN ONLY REMIND US "GOLDEN VOICE" GREAT LATE PAP TOURAY (MAY HIS SOUL R.I.P) OF IFANGBONDI SONGS ("SANJO" HERE) & (JULDEH CAMARA'S "KIBARU" HERE) AND TOURAY KUNDA FAMILY SONGS ( "Fondinké" HERE) WITH ("SALYA" HERE) & ( "KALO KALO" HERE).

I tried to gave full support, encouragement, rightly recommend and advised that "Manding Morry has discovered his niche "afromanding" sounds (for track "Nnan Kamma" (take me away)); especially his folk culture & folk music and should avoid at all cost shifting into non-cultural music like rap music etc. if consistent and with proper management success is guaranteed for him in music industry; as big time artist not only for the gambia our homeland but global."

"The sky is the limit", but it takes a high ladder to get there.
It seems premature to hail an inexperienced young artist as a big time artist not only for The Gambia our homeland but global on the strength of his lyrics on a 40 min. debut album.
Why not grant the kid a decade or so - most major artists needed far longer than that - to find himself such ladder and get climbing, in the process getting a glimpse of the world beyond the Kombos. Getting higher, he may even spot - well over the country's borders - descendants of the once indigenous Afromanding breed.

ALL MY COMMENTS ARE WHOLLY ON SOUND BITES OF 4 min. track "Nnan Kamma" (take me away). ALSO FURTHER REMINDED YOU "that Manding Morry cannot do it alone. Ifangbondi and Touray Kunda were great groups of talented artists."

ON YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH POOR GAMBIAN HUSTLER ARTIST MANDING MORRY TO HELP HIM PREPARE HIMSELF PROPERLY INTO THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, UNDERSTAND THE CHALLENGES, DEVELOP, GUIDE HIM HOW TO TAP CERTAIN RESOURCES, GET RIGHT GROUP, GET PROPER MANAGEMENT AND ENCOURAGE TO WORK HARDER TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS

MORE MANDING MORRY UPLOADED YOUTUBE VIDEOS "AKA RAP GANGSTER STYLE"

Gambia Nyaato

Al naa nga taa

KANILAI MANDINGMORRY

Launching of Manding Empire TVC

WISHING HIM EVER SUCCESS

Edited by - kobo on 14 Jun 2013 00:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  00:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
Tiramakhan
""The sky is the limit", but it takes a high ladder to get there."
You made some interesting observation and your points are well noted.
Yes, it’s a long way to go but that does not exempt a word of encouragement. The sky is the limit; is a metaphor for hard work, which entails schooling to master the art of music, and the ability to incorporate that knowledge in the IFANGO in the strife to fang bondoh.

Well, I can only judge from what I hear, the 4 minutes song, which in my view gives a flavor of the musical vision, direction and intention. I have not heard many,if any, clear definition or fusion of our music since IFANG. And am not comparing Manding Mori with IFANG, hence there would be no Manding Mori without IFANG. You are right; some musicians do not go beyond their first song or first album. Many things have to fall in place before one can reach the sky. IFANG had everything, in my view, to reach the highest heights but today much is not heard of them, in terms of their music and creativity, WHY? It is not because they did not climb that ladder hence they are the yardstick by which the ladder is measured, the vanguards that pioneered AFRO-Manding.

Tiramakhan wrote;
“Why not grant the kid a decade or so - most major artists needed far longer than that - to find himself such ladder and get climbing, in the process getting a glimpse of the world beyond the Kombos. Getting higher, he may even spot - well over the country's borders - descendants of the once indigenous Afromanding breed.”

You are spot on and this is why members of the IFANG like Badou Jobe are needed, for they have the ability to help the young generation to climb the ladder in vocational training centers that do not only train the young generation the basics of music but the virtue of being an artist. I am sure the young generation would be very joyful and proud to have pioneers like Badou as their, ladder, tutor and mentor. In my view the IFANG generation has everything the young generation needs, to go beyond the sky.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy

Edited by - Janko on 14 Jun 2013 00:56:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06