Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Jailed for Obstructing Presidential Motorcade
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2011 :  09:59:43  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
DAILY OBSERVER NEWS;

FOROYAA NEWS;

RELATED TOPICS;

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2011 :  15:30:14  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Lactating Mothers, Students Jailed for Obstructing Presidential Convoy
Friday, December 23, 2011

Four people, among them, two women and two seventeen year-old boys have been handed down a one year jail term for obstructing Gambian president Yahya Jammeh’s convoy.
Nyarra Camara and Adama Sanneh, the two lactating mothers and Ansu Badjie and Alieu Bojang, are from Batabutu Kantora village in Foni Bintang constituency.
They have stretched-out a ten metre size rope along the Trans-Gambia highway last week Thursday with a view to obstruct a Banjul-bound presidential convoy from president’s birth village, Kanilai.
The convicts though pleaded guilty to the charge of obstructing a presidential convoy, they however told the magistrates’ court in Brikama that they have no intention to commit any crime.
All of them claiming to be supporters of president Jammeh’s ruling APRC, the two women and boys said, they did it just to get money from president Jammeh.
When the case was called on Wednesday, sergeant Jammeh announced his appearance for the state, but the accused persons have no legal representation.
The first accused person, Nyarra Camara, in her plea for mercy, said she did not know what she did is criminal.
Though she pleaded guilty, she noted that her conscience is very clear. “My husband is sick and I have six children, the youngest is just one year old. They are all under my care, I have no body to support me, please I beg you for mercy.”
The second accused person, Adama Sanneh in her plea told the court that they were just happy and were expressing their happiness over president Jammeh’s victory in the just concluded presidential polls.
The third accused person, Ansu Badjie, said his father is sick and that he is the one helping his mum at home and paying his own school fees as a student.
And the fourth accused, Alieu Bojang said he is a grade 4 student, pleading for mercy.
At this stage, LK Mboge, a lawyer present in court, added his voice, pleading with the court to exercise mercy. He said, the accused persons have regretted their actions, and urged to warn the accused persons not to repeat the same act again, rather than jailing them.
“I have listened to all the mitigations and I must say they are really touching, and I am sure they have regretted the act,” said presiding magistrate Hilary Abeke.
“However, the nature of the offence is the first of its kind. The offence is strange and it should be stopped immediately,” he said, sentencing all of them to serve one year in jail.
The 17 year-old boys, he said should be taken to Jeshwang Juvenile prison whiles the lactating mothers be taken to the women’s wing in Mile 2 central prison.

Source: Dailynews

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2011 :  16:33:21  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
http://observer.gm/africa/gambia/article/4-jailed-for-obstructing-presidential-motorcade

Brother Momodou and Kobo, this shows on the whole FONI is not all well with the APRC as the Junta want us to belief. Waau obstructing the presidential motorcade uuuuuummm breach of the peace. But the motoercade can knockdown anyone for free without any breach of peace.
Chei Gambia
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  09:04:39  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
This is most gross miscarriage of justice I have ever heard of. Lactating mothers and school children put in jail for obstructing the president's convoy.

This president should have demanded to have a face to face discussion with these mothers and school children to listen to their human concerns and try to address them. It is so revealing that people who are uneducated (western) and the least threat to the government and the PResident would be used as an example to serve justice....

Absolutely beyond any form of conscience and comprehension. Sometimes you wonder what people surrounding this president and the security forces are thinking...

What a great opportunity to right the wrongs by listening to these people. They have been pushed beyond any solution to get attention thus their actions...

I would have asked to see them and am sure, any decent leader would have done the same...

Baldeh,
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi
Visit http://www.gainako.com for your daily news and politics
Go to Top of Page

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  15:40:08  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
Brother Demba,
povery mere poverty led them to do what they did. How would they or anyone expect them to have thought their actions would have landed them in jail?
This is a so generous president who lavishes his generousity by sending poor women and children to jail.
I don't blame them for their actions and belief me every Gambian today has been reduced to begging and the baboozle president want even his won so called supporters jailed for trying to get some form of gift from him.
I don't know how our dear sister Omaga and co would react to this?
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  01:26:03  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
FOROYAA NATIONAL NEWS;
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06