Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: World politics
 Nobel Peace Prize split between three women
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11610 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  12:08:00  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Nobel Peace Prize split between three women

7 October 2011

This year's Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded jointly to three women - Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberian Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkul Karman of Yemen.

They were recognised for their "non-violent struggle for the safety of women and for women's rights to full participation in peace-building work".

Mrs Sirleaf is Africa's first female elected head of state, Ms Gbowee is a peace activist and Ms Karman is a leading figure in Yemen's pro-democracy movement.

Announcing the prize in Oslo, Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said: "We cannot achieve democracy and lasting peace in the world unless women achieve the same opportunities as men to influence developements at all levels of society."

"It is the Norwegian Nobel Committee's hope that the prize... will help to bring an end to the suppression of women that still occurs in many countries, and to realise the great potential for democracy and peace that women can represent."

The women had led the non-violent struggle for women's political rights, said the committee

Ms Karman was recognised for playing a leading part in the struggle for women's rights in Yemen during the Arab Spring pro-democracy uprisings "in the most trying circumstances".

She told the Associated Press she was dedicating the prize "to the youth of revolution in Yemen and the Yemeni people".

Ms Sirleaf, 72, was elected to office in 2005, following the end of Liberia's 14-year civil war. She had said she would only run for one term, but is standing for re-election next week.

Ms Gbowee was a leading critic of the violence of the civil war, mobilising women across ethnic and religious lines in peace activism - in part through implementing a "sex strike" - and encouraging them to participate in elections.

"She has since worked to enhance the influence of women in West Africa during and after war," said the award citation.

The women will share the $1.5m (£1m) prize money.

Source: BBC

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  14:18:16  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said: "We cannot achieve democracy and lasting peace in the world unless women achieve the same opportunities as men to influence developements at all levels of society."

No Gambian candidate then, pity.

I bet they thought, Naaaa..........but cannot have read "The women will share the $1.5m (£1m) prize money."

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 07 Oct 2011 14:19:15
Go to Top of Page

buba

57 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  15:52:57  Show Profile
''...lasting peace in the world unless women achieve the same opportunities as men to influence developements at all levels of society''

I wonder if there is a positive correlation between lasting peace and equal opportunities for women. Personally, i believe lasting peace can only be ensured if the New World Order Injustice is tackled head-on...

That is not to dilute the achievements of these fine women, congrats to them all.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  16:46:25  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Buba, I was writing about Gambian women in particular and the effect that they can have on the Gambia,sorry if I gave the impression that there was some connection between peace and equal opportunities.

"Personally, i believe lasting peace can only be ensured if the New World Order Injustice is tackled head-on..."

Well put,if it happens at all it will take time.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

buba

57 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  19:08:14  Show Profile
Toubab, i was actually commenting on that particular phrase i thought was made by the Nobel people...good man.

Edited by - buba on 10 Oct 2011 19:08:49
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  19:50:54  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Sorry if I confused you

quote:
Originally posted by buba

Toubab, i was actually commenting on that particular phrase i thought was made by the Nobel people...good man.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06