Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: World politics
 Riots in UK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  08:04:23  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Anyone has inside info other than the news we get?

diaspora! Too many Chiefs and Very Few Indians.

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  11:47:19  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
BBC news is fairly comprehensive, but I have no 'inside' information.

I feel very sorry for people living in these inner city areas where the rioting is happening.
Ordinary people should be able to feel safe in their own homes.

I have been tweeting a little about this as gambia bev if you want to follow my thoughts on there you are welcome. I am new to it, so still learning how to express myself briefly!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  23:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Bev right now in Hackney people are shocked about what has been happening and this applies right across the Inner city areas. Check my blog.

Peace
Sister Omega

Edited by - Sister Omega on 10 Aug 2011 23:47:29
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  09:31:24  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Can you post a link?

Are you on twitter? I've just started. Following John Sentamu (Archbishop of York).

Education, Life chances, Parenting, Family life and structure, youth unemployment and so on are all linked to poverty in real terms and poverty of ambition.

Consumerism is also rife as a key value.

The gap between the wants and the reality is difficult to live with.

I don't think any of this EXCUSES what happened, but it helps explain.

It is interesting that it is happening in England, but not so far in Scotland or Wales. They both have more empathetic governments in their local parliaments.

For me the most shocking part of the riots was the arson attacks with so little concern for other human life.

How do we change the mind set of people to have self respect and respect for others?
To value getting an education and working for a living?

Many of these people come from families that have several generations of entrenched poverty. (Though poverty in Uk is a relative term when compared with Somalia or Gambia).
Poverty of opportunity and ambition is a difficult thing to address.

It is also an interesting sociological phenomenon that people on crowds do things that they wouldn't do as individuals. Often people act in the heat of the moment and are drawn in to activities.

This is a complex situation with no easy fix.
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  16:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
This is a complex problem however there are fundamental issues that have been responsible for these events which can be identified as a lack of respect for authority, a lack discipline, and lack of social cohesion within local communities besieged by Gang Culture.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  17:13:30  Show Profile
One of the things that kept me on the straight and narrow as a young man was fear of the consequences. There is no fear today
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  18:18:00  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
There are rumors like

quote:
'pakistani raped a jamaican girl' and 'jamaicans are targetting pakistani', 'looters are from brixton', 'dalston african and middle easterners united to fight against looters'. 'looters are mostly black', 'looters are mostly immigrant', 'looters are mostly muslim'. 'looters are mostly white attacking immigrants business'.

Is it ethnic conflict? What is the motivation for looters? How did this start?

I have a friends from having business in Dalston. They said that mostly Kurdish, Turkish, Middle eastern and African business are targeted and actually these people protecting the local business against looters. Is it something targeted to immigrants?

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.

Edited by - turk on 11 Aug 2011 18:21:15
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  19:29:39  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Is it ethnic conflict? What is the motivation for looters? How did this start?

Not at all although there are SOME with POLITICAL motivations that would like you to believe that,how did it start ? no one really knows but once started it is likely that a copycat effect took hold and those people who are into social network sites expecially Blackberry messenger for some reason began sending messages as to where the action was going down,and to come along and get FREE stuff,this appealed to SOME youngsters and YOUTHS who were UP FOR that sort of challange,messages were sent to other cities and so the domino effect took hold,SOME of the young people have only one brain cell and are disabled in that way in that they cannot see what is right and what is wrong,they are educationally deprived (a social worker term! ) probably mean that they are a pain and got suspended from any school they went to because they didn't want to learn,so slipped into drug taking, drinking,and just having fun damaging other peoples property and having a bit of stealing thrown in.There are reports of one woman who was studying to become a social worker who went out took part and stole a TV,went to sleep that night and reflected on what she had done and handed herself into police,just didn't think and was caught up, an excuse,not really,the news coverage has been extensive and unbiased. Turk you mention Dalston businesses,I think that MOST of the shops and businesses in Dalston are run by immigrants,therefore if any buisness is targeted in Dalson that target is likely to be run by an immigrant in the multicultural society that has grown in the UK,THEREFORE,your implication that disturbances that have occoured recently are targeted at immigrants is incorrect, Why people should want to damage things belonging to others is unanswered as is the question why are there arsonists?,why are there thieves? why are there rapists,Your implication that these were racial disturbances are unfounded and such suggestions are not helpful at all in resolving the reasons for why these events took place and how can everyone ensure that they NEVER happen again.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  21:03:24  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
I have no implications. I am querying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  22:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Toubab the riots started in Tottenham after Mark Duggan was shot. His family had been waiting for five hours in a Police Station after finding out whilst watching the news that he had been shot twice by the Police. Today in Parliament Lammy MP for Tottenham spoke about the incident. The riots in Tottenham broke out after a young woman asked the Police some questions about Mark's shooting. She was allegedly pushed. Then all hell broke loose. There are significant Gang problems in the inner cities with postcode demarcations. However the disturbances broke all postcode division and united with one purpose only and that was to loot. The Rioters took full advantage of the weakness of the Police who failed to stop the looting frenzy. This perpetuated the four nights of copy cat rioting. The Rioters were British coming from all classes from a Millionaires daughter to criminals on licence.
No Turk it isn't an Ethnic conflict. It was a snatch grab loot and burn conflict. These Rioters were in for what they could grab for themselves with a total disregard or empathy for peoples lives, property or businesses. They were just interested in getting Designer trainers,Ipods,Blackberry phones, Plasma TV's, Clothes and Jewelery. In every city the same parts of the retail sector were hit, and it seems as each place was trying to out do the other. The rioters comprised of different races, religions and ages.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  00:23:13  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Sister you are right up to a point. BUT the MAJORITY of rioters were black or white rather than asian from what I have seen from TV. The MAJORITY were also young.

I live quite close to Leeds and there hasn't been much going on there. I wonder why some cities are affected more than others? Is that due to gang culture? Drugs?

Is it a fluke which cities have been hit?
Go to Top of Page

kisley

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  09:58:50  Show Profile Send kisley a Private Message
I live in a very deprived area......no looting or rioting, so it isn't effecting every city, thank god. But then again we don't have a strong gang culture in this area.
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  10:43:17  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Kisley I think this is very interesting. The government should be looking at why it hasnt happened in similar areas of deprivation. These areas must be doing something right.

Turk you can sometimes tell the religion of someone by looking at them eg a Sikh in a turban, but generally speaking you can't tell someones religion by looking at them in the street.

Most of these young people with have the 'religion' of the gang and consumerism. These fill the vacuum when other models of how to live a good life are lacking.

Parents, teachers, religious leaders, community workers etc all have a role to play in providing an alternative. We used to call it 'Christian values', but personally I would like to call it 'human values'. Most people want the same thing: to live peacefully in a safe home, to have meaningful occupation and enough money to provide life's basics.

Children also need to feel wanted, cared for and LOVED. EVERY absent father should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves are they doing enough for their children, particularly their teenage boys. If they aren't, then the gang will!
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  11:06:49  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
It looks like this is more of the result of social and economic problems of youth i.e consumerism, gang, ghetto, lack of focus on education.

Edited by - turk on 12 Aug 2011 11:51:57
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  13:31:14  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Sister O, I agree with what you say here :

"The Rioters were British coming from all classes from a Millionaires daughter to criminals on licence.
No Turk it isn't an Ethnic conflict. It was a snatch grab loot and burn conflict. These Rioters were in for what they could grab for themselves with a total disregard or empathy for peoples lives, property or businesses. They were just interested in getting Designer trainers,Ipods,Blackberry phones, Plasma TV's, Clothes and Jewelery. In every city the same parts of the retail sector were hit, and it seems as each place was trying to out do the other. The rioters comprised of different races, religions and ages. "

MOST people of all races and cultures have accepted that these were totally criminal acts perpetrated by those who were "up for it", and probably gang members .
Everyone felt disgusted at the video that showed a young man who had been injured, robbed by others who had gone to "help" him.
I personally am very pleased that common sense has prevailed within the murkey depths of politics with all the parties pulling together to ensure that such things never happen again in England.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 12 Aug 2011 13:35:44
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  13:38:44  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

I am pleased about that,I thought for a moment that you had returned to your old self before you had your recent revelation !!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by turk

I have no implications. I am querying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06