Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: World politics
 UK: Immigration
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  18:17:24  Show Profile
We all know the level of immigration is affecting all aspects of the country badly
A survey was carried out and the question asked should we stop or severly curb immigration and the overwelming answer was yes.

Surprisingly this came from the first wave of immigrants from Jamica in the 50s anmd 60s.Very shortly like America us tru brits will be the minority in our own country What do you think ? Maybe a pole ?

Edited by - snuggels on 26 Jun 2011 18:20:05

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  22:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Snuggles can you send in the link for the pole you're referring too.

As a woman born from the first wave of Jamaican Immigrants and who has taught many new immigrants to the UK. I think the immigration debate needs to be debated more honestly. Britain has an aged population and its the immigrants who do a lot of the jobs that British people think twice about doing. They contribute to taxes.
There are different types of immigration EU immigrants are automatically entitled to welfare benefits. Whereas those outside of the UK are able to work in the UK if once they've received clearance and aren't entitled to recourse to public funds for two years. So they must work. I don't see a problem with immigration as long as its sustainable. I think the UK should also keep figures on migration to keep records of how many people are living the UK to get a better picture.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  08:14:54  Show Profile
I was surgesting that Admin do a pole to see what Bantaba members think.

"Three quarters of migrants come from the rest of the world."
See below
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7048205.stm

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=260

Edited by - snuggels on 28 Jun 2011 08:30:58
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  18:22:48  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
BBC Q&A: UK immigration cap

THE POINT UK welfare reforms may affect migrants

AND DAILY NEWS Immigrants in U.S Have Rights Denied to Them at Home

"Obama got a round of applause as he struck a more personal note, saying that the example of the US and UK had shown "that it's possible for the sons and daughters of former colonies to sit here as members of this great Parliament, and for the grandson of a Kenyan who served as a cook in the British Army to stand before you as president of the United States".

AND IF YOU PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE.."GOD SAVE THE QUEEN" = "RIGHTS OF ORDINARY CITIZEN

SO WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER RELEVANT OPINION POLL QUESTIONS AND OPTIONAL CHOICES TO ASSIST ADMIN

Edited by - kobo on 05 Jul 2011 18:39:26
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  19:00:54  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
From European perspective. Europe needs workers. How? The best policy for Europe to expand the EU to get more immigrants from i.e. Bosnia, Serbia, Ukraine, Turkey, Albania, Azerbaijan, Georgia in near future and in the long run Russia, Morocco, Tunisia. It is best for Europe because, immigrants from other countries have more integration problems than these countries. Also, if these countries are part of Europe, they would share the same political destination unlike immigrants from Africa, South America and Caribbean...

diaspora! Too many Chiefs and Very Few Indians.

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.

Edited by - turk on 05 Jul 2011 19:02:46
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  01:35:54  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
RELATED Norway Bombings by Domestic Terror: 80 Dead

AN EXAMPLE OF HOW VILE THE MEDIA MOTIVATES CYCLE OF EXTREMISM, BIGOTRY, VIOLENCE AND TERRORISM WITH THESE COMMENTS NOTED FROM ONE OF THE SUN NEWSPAPER GUEST COLUMNIST;

QUOTED: "When news came through of Anders Breivik's bomb attack in Oslo, like many people I guessed it might be the work of Muslim terrorists.
Now we are being told by leftist commentators that this was a racist thing to think, as well as being wrong.
But the reason most of us thought it was Muslim extremists is because it ususally is Muslim extremists, isn't it?
And one blond Christian maniac
doesnt much change equation"

WHAT EQUATION? ANY EQUATION CRAFTED IS ROOT OF EVIL FOR CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY, POISONOUS TO HEARTS AND MINDS AND DANGEROUS TO HUMANITY

FOROYAA EDITORIAL: ALERT TO THE DANGERS OF NARROW NATIONALISM NORWAY’S 22nd JULY

Edited by - kobo on 29 Jul 2011 02:13:26
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  15:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
From European perspective. Europe needs workers. How? The best policy for Europe to expand the EU to get more immigrants from i.e. Bosnia, Serbia, Ukraine, Turkey, Albania, Azerbaijan, Georgia in near future and in the long run Russia, Morocco, Tunisia. It is best for Europe because, immigrants from other countries have more integration problems than these countries. Also, if these countries are part of Europe, they would share the same political destination unlike immigrants from Africa, South America and Caribbean...

Why? because they're mainly black.

Having worked in the welfare for work sector most of my clients who found it hardest to get jobs were those with English as a Second language. The majority of Caribbean and quite a lot of African and few South Americans don't have that problem. Turk that' a racist comment.

If I am to follow your reasoning when has Tunsia and Morrocco been a part of Europe? Britain has a large Turkish, Kurdish,Bosnian, serbian and Croasian population who still find it difficult to integrate. In fact due to the recession thees communities are finding it very difficult to find jobs because of their lack of English, and another reason is because they've had a lot trauma due to the wars in their countries.

I thik you need to rethink this one Turk.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  16:36:16  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Sister Omega

You bring the race issue. Not me. My argument has nothing to do with race or color. I have no clue how you ended up there. And I need you to read my key words ‘European Perspective’. Not ‘your perspective’
Expanding EU with the new members i.e. Bosnia makes more sense than getting an immigrant from i.e. Pakistan. Here is why.
Getting the need of labor from the member state rather than non-member is the whole purpose about EU. That is the whole idea. The main economic objective of EU is 'integration of labor, resources and capital' of more scaled economy. Free movement of labor in addition to capital and products is one of the biggest advantages of EU.
Economy does not have ‘labor’ element only. It consists of capital, resources. OK let us examine member state worker ‘Boris’ vs ‘Bala’.
Boris makes money and this money most likely stay in Europe. Unlike Bala, as he sends some of the money back to his or her country as remittance. Also, Bala invest for his future in his native country i.e. building house, buying land etc. Boris can do that too, but the capital is not going out of EU economic zone. Capital stays in EU. That is one of the biggest advantage of Boris over Bala from ‘EUROPEAN PERSPECTIVE’.
Boris is the equal citizen of EU. Bala is not. Boris can be part of decision making process part of being the citizen of EU, political participation as there are many EU institutions like EU legislation, EU courts, EU executive branches where all member states participate and make decision for EU. Bala is not EU citizen; he has no right and motivation to be part of decision making process. Bala only thinks about himself. Boris is part of the decision making process that has impact on EU. If you were British, would you trust Bala or would you trust Boris who also has the same stake as you. British citizen and Boris have the same interests about economic or political decision.
EU has a policy to have similar budget, retirement, social services of member states. Each country must have similar social, economic standards so integration to be easier. Each member state must have similar law, legal system, and regulation. Boris is part of the system. Bala is not. Culturally Boris is part of the EU values, Bala is not. The ingtegration of Boris would be much smoother and smarter than Bala. That is very important to integrate the workers who are producing in different part of EU. Boris does not only contribute to EU with his ‘work’, Boris also brings his capital to EU. Boris also brings its natural resources.

Halifa Salah: PDOIS is however realistic. It is fully aware that the Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices.
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  23:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Turk ok I misunderstood you. Obviously mentioning Africa the Caribbean and South America immigration. I would find it racist being a EU Citizen from that heritage. I think we must remember that the world is more diverse than ever before and gone are the days when the colour of a person skin indicates where they were born.

Turk what you forget about the EU is that they have a longer history dealing with their former colonies than they do their immediate neighbours.
For example there has been a long-term relationship between Britain and Pakistan Therefore the Pakistani community is more established in Britain than a Bosnian.
We are talking now about third generations. One thing about the Pakistani community in Britain when they came to Britain in the 1960's and 70's. They came with at least 2 generations.
They worked set up businesses and sent for as many members of their families to join them. Yes they sent remittance back home but they also contributed heavily to the British economy.Before 9/11 the relationship with Britain and Pakistan was quite strong.

Let's take India for example in the 1990's began to out source its telephone customer services to India. Therefore when a British customer phones up his or her ICT provider the call would automatically go through to India. The same also relates to credit card companies etc.
Turk the EU is diverse and fragmented. What has caused a lot of friction in the UK is precisely what you have stated about remittances. For example during the boom times. A lot of Eastern Europeans came flooding into Britain. They under cut a lot of construction trade prices, which adversely affected the profits of British businesses.
When the bust came the majority of Polish left. Why because they had invested their money back home and were better of living in Poland than living in Britain that is the same with other groups. Who have naturally come to Britain to work save up their money and invest it in their countries of origin. It's called progress.

One thing at the moment hampering the EU is the recession with Greece, Ireland, Spain, and now Italy having economic crisis. The Euro zone seems to be wobbling along with Britain. The integration of labour,resources and captial seems to be beneficial in theory however there is an uneven playing field between the richer and poorer EU states. The pendulum seems to swing only in one direction right now because of the fragile economies.
Can the EU richest countries who are struggling really afford to prop up the poorer ones? Will their tax payers be willing to pay even more taxes to Brussels when high unemployment and high inflation are affecting their nationals?

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

turk

USA
3356 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  08:34:29  Show Profile  Visit turk's Homepage Send turk a Private Message
Sister Omega
The workers within Europe are much better for Europe than getting workers from out. That is almost every economics agree. That is the whole idea of EU. If that was not the case, EU would not want to expand.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06