Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Education Forum
 History
 Searching for West African Roots
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NextAlexHaley

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  16:44:23  Show Profile Send NextAlexHaley a Private Message
Hello everyone!

I'm glad I came across this site after research some of the African names in my family. I have traced my family to enslaved Africans who where brought to the US (South Carolina) by a slave trader named John Holman Sr in 1790. He was a prominent trader on the Rio Pongo (in present day Guinea) from 1765 - 1789. His mixed race sons continued trading in the area with the Ormond and other families.

Anyway, I'm hoping that someone can take a look at the names and possibly determine a tribal or clan origin. I'm also interested in the name Mahmah Toay. The English language wasn't standardized at the time, so name spellings vary. I spoke the names aloud, especially Toay (to-ay/two-ay), to get an idea of what is the actual name.

Newmah
Mahmah Toay (is this Touray/Toure?)
their children are numbered with their families

(1)Salliah
Correlah
Dave

(2)Boatswain
Misher Eye
Simmety

(3) Belhahley
Newmah
Newmahdy

(4) Newmah
Ginney
Meredith (my paternal ancestor)
Ginney Tene
Cotte de

(5) Mehomadue (Mahamodu?)
Cumbah

The family of Newmah and Mahmah Toay is taken from the estate inventory of John Holman Sr.

http://www.footnote.com/image/#265612921

Any help would be welcomed!

Thanks!

NextAlexHaley

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  18:31:25  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
well not to run the risk of raising false hopes, i would ask you to take my coments on this issue cautiously. However, i do know that the name "mahama" is a well known name in nothern Ghana, specifically in the city Tamale. They are a muslim family and a strong and well to do in local politics and even at the national level. The family can boast of a vice president in the person of John Dramani Mahama. He in fact did his high school education in Tamale. am not suprised.

Tamale corresponds with the southern fringes of the demarcation of the muslim influence from the north. I would urge you start from Tamale. Tell us what you find. many of these names have corrupted muslim names. Mahdy or Mahdi for example is the name of the person who will before judgement day help Jesus fight evil on earth according to muslim believe. This evil person known in western literature as "AntiChrist" is called "Masih ad-Dajjal" meaning false prophet. hope this helps

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  18:32:25  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
NextAlexHaley ,you have arrived at the right place MANY here are interested in African Languages and tribal customs and names together with oral history,however these interesting topics are often overshadowed by political and religious topics,be patient many members who could help you only post occasionally, be patient

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 16 Jun 2011 18:32:45
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  18:43:51  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
new alex

Just saw the name Cumbah. This is very much senegambian name. its spellt also as Kumba also and found mainly in gambia and Senegal and is a female name although in my reseearch, i have found only one male named Kumba, a famous police officer in gambia known for his strictness. Its a name found mainly in the Fulani tribe and scarcely in the wollof tribe too but very much of the Tuculor dialect of the fulani tribe. Just so you know, the fulani tribe has 7 dialecs: Laobe, Jengel, Habobeh, Toro, Massina, Firrdu and Tuculor)

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  19:07:48  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
One more thing also. a lot of slaves found in the Carolinas have roots from west africa. many slaves that passed through gambia from the hinterland areas of present day mali and Guinea found their way to north carolina.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  20:11:22  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
New Alex,I told you this was the right place and Kons,knows a lot and your enquiry is his bag,good luck in your quest.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  20:21:57  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Toubab

am just trying my best to help but there are better historians here. Ofcourse you included. My signature statement says it all. If we all add a little, very soon, we will have a lot. "slowly, slowly , catch monkey" as they say in Sierra Leone

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  20:37:36  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Kons! These looks familiar with my thoughts below;

Salliah = May be "Sallah" surname; Senegambia West Africa?

Correlah = May be wollof dialet for cholera disease; Senegambia West Africa?

Boatswain = Tone closer "Botswana"; South Africa?

Belhahley = Appear to be "Billali" and connotes a slave for arabs; Mauritania West Africa?

Ginney = May be wollof dialect "Ginneh" for "Jinn"; Senegambia West Africa?

Tene = May be wollof dialet for Tiger ("Teneh"); Senegambia West Africa?

Dave = May be David for us?

Misher Eye = Hope its not one of our local villages for "Missira"; Senegambia West Africa?

Edited by - kobo on 16 Jun 2011 21:26:16
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  21:17:59  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Kobo you right.

i did not see those. you great.

Toay could be Touray/Toure. It could also be Traore/Trawally.

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  21:24:57  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Continue further research being advised?
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  22:11:36  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Come on EXPERTS join the two "K" s and post info for Next Alex make him happy to find his history.

I strongly suspect that Next Alex has found this link,but for other bantaba posters this might be interesting:

Black slaveowners: free Black slave masters in South Carolina, 1790-1860 - John Holman, 1790

Edited by - toubab1020 on 16 Jun 2011 22:16:33
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11511 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  22:35:17  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Toubab, thanks for digging out the above link. I find it very interesting and the names mentioned by our new member NextAlex are in the book.

Kondorong, its good to see your posting. Perhaps we should get some bitter tomatoes here in order to keep you around.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  22:45:12  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
toubaba
the link is very useful.

Numah could be Numo, a male mandinka name
Sadue is actually a Fulani name and sounds just as it is spelt.
Carefah could be Karafah a female mandinka name. Some fulani names are also called Karafah. But its mainly mandinka.
Gunney-Gunney could be Hooli Gunneh.- a fanafana name from upper saloum. The name is almost extinct now.
Mah-Canning - This sound very similar but i cant decode it for now.
Sara-due - could it be Sara duta? This village is sandwiched between two slave trading towns of Pisania and Niani Maaro.

Oh boy. Hope these are not Gambians. The names come very close.

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  22:56:18  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Mah-Canning - Could this be mandinka meaning " I never requested for it. or i did not ask for me to be paid". However in saloum Kanni is a name of a girl. This name is also almost extinct now.

In its true sense, Numah or Numo is not a name. Its means "black smith"

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  23:00:01  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Alhtough Sadue is a fulani name, it could also be a corrupted Mandinka name Sajo. The name sajo is very unique because its a name of the child that comes after twins. So any one you hear called Sajo, most likely was born to parents who had twins, the baby was born next in line. Its a name that both girls and boys take.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  23:30:28  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Enjoy boys

Edited by - toubab1020 on 16 Jun 2011 23:30:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06