Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Science and Technology Forum
 Science and Technology
 Mixed public reactions to SIM card registration
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  17:37:50  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Mixed public reactions to SIM card registration orders
By Lamin B. Darboe

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The recent executive order that all GSM operators in the country must register all SIM cards on their network or risk losing their license, has raised serious concerns among members of the general public, with many expressing doubts as to the confidentiality of the information collected during the registration process.

However, for many people who spoke to this paper yesterday, the move could not have come at a better time than now taking into consideration crimes committed, especially those caused through mobile phone calls.

Despite being the norm in most African countries, many Gambians are of the view that the move should be given a second thought.

“This is really not good for both the GSM operators and the customers. For me, I believe there is a motive behind all this. I think there must be a vigorous public sensitization by PURA in collaboration with the GSM operators, so as to make the public understand the motive,” one Lamin Ceesay of Bakau told The Point.

However, despite raising concerns over the security aspect of the information collected, many people maintained that registering all SIM cards will help in reducing the crime rate in this country.

“This is really something good as it will protect all of us and reduce the number of crimes in this country. This is even not something new, as other countries in the sub-region are doing the same. So I believe we have to catch up with the rest of the world,” said Amie Bah, a resident of Bakoteh.

A press release from the Gambia Public Utilities Regulatory Authorities (PURA) said the Ministry of Information and Communication Infrastructure in collaboration with PURA informs the general public and subscribers to all GSM mobile telephone operators that effective from 15th April 2011, all GSM operators are required to register details of any person purchasing a SIM card.

According to the press release, the exercise is aimed at safeguarding the general public’s welfare and security.

“The GSM service providers are obliged to ensure that the information collected from subscribers is kept secure, confidential and not tampered with. The information collected shall not be disclosed to any person unless as required by law. The information collected shall only be used for the purpose for which the registration exercise is being undertaken,” the release stated.

“I have been receiving text messages on a daily basis to go and register my SIM card, but really I’m not convinced as to whether there will be any confidentiality in the whole process. Yes, it is the norm in other countries, but I still feel that the general public needs more explanation as to the rationale behind all these,” Ousainou Njie, a student, said.

Bintou Njie, a resident of Fajara, told this paper: “Really, I don’t think there is anything wrong in this. May be for those who never travel outside this country, this might be a new thing to them, but honestly speaking this is the norm in most of the countries, not only in Africa, but the world in general. Importantly also, this will help in a great deal to reduce unnecessary crimes that we have seen happen in this country.

“There is nothing bad in this, and I hope Gambians and mobile phone users, in particular, will get to understand better and comply with the orders,” she added.

“This will be a very difficult task, and unless we put an end to the careless distribution and selling of SIM cards, the objective of the exercise will not be achieved. GSM companies must be regulated first, in the way and manner they give out SIM cards, or else it will be difficult, definitely,” Abdoulie Bah, a vendor at Westfield said.

Source: The Point

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  22:14:15  Show Profile
As pointed out in another thread Sim card registration is not the norm in other parts of the world The Gambian public are being mislead
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  15:20:26  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
“This is really not good for both the GSM operators and the customers. For me, I believe there is a motive behind all this. I think there must be a vigorous public sensitization by PURA in collaboration with the GSM operators, so as to make the public understand the motive,” one Lamin Ceesay of Bakau told The Point.

Lamin has hit the nail on the head
I wonder what that could be ? more Social engineering ? More Control? an list of who has what phone numbers and GPS positioning Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........just like the UK, BIG BROTHER KNOWS ALL but in Gambia there are many many Ebrima Jallows

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 11 Jun 2011 15:22:36
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  15:24:58  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Maybe the UK is an exception because ALL sim cards are posted and even if you buy from a shop you have to PROVE your identity.

quote:
Originally posted by snuggels

As pointed out in another thread Sim card registration is not the norm in other parts of the world The Gambian public are being mislead

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  13:34:43  Show Profile
In all the countries that I have visited over the years where I have purchased a local SIM card I have never had to give my personal details. Although I have a sim card here in the UK from one of the big phone companies where you have to supply your name and adress for delivery. I think you can go to your local shop and purchase one without having to supply your personal details. Correct me if Im wrong ?
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  13:56:06  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
You may be right,I have never made a survey only bought a phone from carphone warehouse and at that time it was the usual rubbish gas bill drivers licence before you could have the phone,there may be other UK posters who can tell us if you can get a sim in the UK without having it posted to you,in other words buy with cash in a shop no questions about who you are.(maybe if you say you are Lord Lucan you may have a problem )

Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  10:44:39  Show Profile
I think they should be useing thier resources else where as I think phone crime is minuscule compared to the biggest and growing crime in the world which is Credit card fraud and Identity theft which eminates from West Africa. Which is carried out in the main over the internet not by phone

Edited by - snuggels on 14 Jun 2011 11:09:15
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  11:56:51  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
probably

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  12:04:56  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Snuggles, I agree with you that sim card registration is not a norm in this part of the world (Europe) but I am told it is in some countries such as Ghana. I do not condone the registration. However, being not a norm in Europe does not mean that it can't be demanded in other countries.

Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  18:17:08  Show Profile
My point is that the Point newspaper was misleading thier readers by saying that it was the norm in most countries of the world when it is not. I supose the old saying you cant belive all that you read in the newspapers. But I think most Gambins would
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11627 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  13:56:15  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
5 million mobile phone subscribers in Ghana will be disconnected after June 30th for not regestring their SIM cards. Most people do not posses valid ID cards needed in order to register.

Concerns are that there is no data protection act to prevent missuse of the information collected.

Source: Todays BBC radio - Network Africa

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  19:34:15  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"Concerns are that there is no data protection act to prevent missuse of the information collected."
All depends where you are in the world,and who is misusing the information " a matter of national security" or some tin pot company trying to sell you insurance by an sms. Aghhhhhhh.Anyway the sun is out now in England, a great day, and there is the tennis

Edited by - toubab1020 on 27 Jun 2011 19:34:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06