Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 Kairaba Staff Threaten Strike
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  12:39:49  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"Hotel sources said Mr Jarjue’s dismissal came after a guest complained that he [Mr Jarjue] begged him D19, 000 to pay his children’s school fees."

“I my worries is how to cope with the family pressures,” decried Mr Jarjue. “I have two wives and ten kids who are all going to school”.

Is this way of life sustainable for a man in his position ?

I have no idea as to the truth of these allegations that caused the dismissal of these two people,my comments are made by my own experiences in The Gambia as a visitor on many occasions,I ask readers to bear this in mind when reading my posting here,I have on many occasions been asked for money by Gambians many who I have known for a long time,the amounts asked for are never for small amounts of money,but for large amounts,for instance,buy me a car so I make it a taxi,buy me a mini van so I can make it into a minibus,my house has broken and damaged in the rain can you buy cement and steel so I can get it repaired,and I cannot pay the school fees for my children.
There is no doubt that Gambians think of tourists and visitors from abroad as money on legs and it is quite acceptable to ask them for large sums of money to let them improve their lives,I will say that this conduct is most common in urban centres and towns where tourists frequent,it is unusual in rural areas where most people are having a harder time than their town dwelling counterparts.
This way of trying to improve your "luck" has a very negative impact on visitors who come to the Gambia for a quiet holiday in the sun and are confronted with poverty of people that they have not experienced before in their lives.

Is it understandable for Gambians to "beg" visitors for money ? YES

Does it help the enjoyment of the Gambia by visitors ? NO.

Will this conduct affect families decisions to return to the Gambia again and help the economy of Gambia YES.

http://dailynews.gm/africa/gambia/article/kairaba-staff-threaten-strike-over-unwarranted-dismissals

Kairaba Staff Threaten Strike over Unwarranted Dismissals
Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Some workers of Kairaba Beach Hotel are boiling with anxiety over the unwarranted dismissal of two former staff, Mr Majar Jarjue, a bar supervisor and Ms Barabally Camara, a waiter.

The staff who preferred not be named for fear of punishment told The Daily News that they will mount a sit-down strike if the hotel management refuses to immediately re-instate Mr Jarjue and Ms Camara.

Mr Jarjue has been dismissed for breaking the house rules of the hotel while Ms Barabally fell short of D51, which she used her own money to pay.

The hotel management declined to comment on the issue despite several attempts made by this reporter.

“Go and write anything you want but I cannot talk on the issue”, Madam Muminatou Junisa, the human resources manager barked before hanging-up the phone.

“I have nothing to talk to you about any dismissal and I am not interested in anything you said you are. Go and talk to the manager,” Mr Buba Bah, the executive director said, while several attempts made to talk to the manager proved futile.

Hotel sources said Mr Jarjue’s dismissal came after a guest complained that he [Mr Jarjue] begged him D19, 000 to pay his children’s school fees.

But Mr Jarjue told The Daily News in very strong terms that he did not begged any guest for money.

“I have been working for this hotel for over 20 years with a clean track record”, he said. “I fully understand that I am subjected to the house rules and that is why I had never and I will never beg a guest”, Mr Jarjue said.

Mr Jarjue added: “I felt shock and disappointed when I was handed my dismissal letter. I was never warned to this effect”.

For Ms Barajally Camara, when she fell short for D51, she used her money to pay for it which led to a double booking.

Today Newspaper’s tourism anchor, Mr Kebba Ansu Manneh, said this is a usual mistake common in every hotel and it happens almost every day to almost everyone.

And the staff of Kairaba said Mr Jarjue and Ms Camara were not the first to fall victim of unwarranted dismissals.

Meanwhile Mr Jarjue has been working at Kairaba for over 20 years and Ms Camara for over 8 years. Since their dismissal in January, both are struggling to cope with the increasing family demands.

“I my worries is how to cope with the family pressures,” decried Mr Jarjue. “I have two wives and ten kids who are all going to school”.

Ms Camara also said she is the bread winner of her family, saying that her family has been in financial trouble since her dismissal.
Author: Saikou Jammeh

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 24 Feb 2011 14:22:19

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  00:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Just maybe if Kairaba Beach Hotel paid its staff better wages, or they were allowed to collect tips then they wouldn't need to beg the visitors for money. Of course there needs to be a code of conduct and instead of these members of staff getting instat dismissal they should be afforded the opportunity in going through displinary procedures. By the way what are the labour laws in Gambia are there any? Maybe its an area that needs some upto date legislation. What say you?

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  10:52:49  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

"my worries is how to cope with the family pressures,” decried Mr Jarjue. “I have two wives and ten kids who are all going to school”.

I say:

Sister,this man lives in Gambia a poor country,his lifestyle is unsupportable and unstainable,don't forget there are no benefits available to this family as in the UK !
It's a matter of education in life that is needed, not more leglislation and throwing money at social and lifestyle problems thinking they will go away,nothing is solved in the long term that way.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 13 Mar 2011 10:57:22
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  11:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
If one goes to a restaurant in the west and wishes to leave a tip its no problem in most places its accepted its just the way its done under a service charge. It's even considered the norm for staff to get these tips because Hospitality employees have to declare tax in them. There needs to be better protection for workers so that they aren't explioted and do have a right to appeal against unfair dismissals if and when they do arise. Now if an Employee is pestering you for money in a Hotel of course you have a right to say no and complain. Just like the worker should have a right to representation if false claims had been made against them.

Toubab Gambian families are big that's a reality. There may not be a benefit system in Gambia but the extended family is a social support system. As for the UK Benefit System its changing therefore those on benefit have no incentives to stay on it because it diffinitely pays to work.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  14:40:49  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Sister O , I don't like politics I must take exception to some of your words being gathered from cloud cuckoo land !(http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/cloud-cuckoo-land)
" Now if an Employee is pestering you for money in a Hotel of course you have a right to say no and complain" of course you do.

"Just like the worker should have a right to representation if false claims had been made against them."

He has that right I am sure,remember there are plans in hand by the administration for legal aid he can then hire a lawyer who is paid for by the state (I can see that happening )He, the agreeved worker can then sue the company for wrongful dismissal and claim damages,cost of lawyers and court fees paid for by the state,as the worker being an average Gambian will have no money to take this course of action. As usual its all about MONEY.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 13 Mar 2011 14:41:41
Go to Top of Page

inez

279 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  20:21:26  Show Profile Send inez a Private Message
Right Toubab, it´s all about money, some people think that everyone in Gambia is middle class or rich...I want to just give one story about conditions of the workers: young boy, just 18 is working as a night watchman, 12 hours a night, 6 days a week and his salary: 600 dalasies. If he is not happy with it, he can leave the job of course, there are hundreds who can take his job but he has to survive and make his living. He has malaria often since sitting outside at night..and guess what, no salary when one is sick...I think some people don´t know anything about reality. I can also tell that this boy has no internet or tv or laptop or even furnitures in the room he is renting and sharing with other boys.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  20:31:07  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Inez,welcome back,rose tinted spectacles should be banned here,and life in the Gambia shown as it is for the average Gambian,I get a little fed up with those who insist everything is fine and there is a growing middle class and many rich people in The Gambia,everyone driving good expensive cars etc.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 20 Mar 2011 20:32:08
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  21:39:18  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
inez nice to hear from you.

Life for the average Gambian is very hard, whatever some people on her may think!

Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  22:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Welcome back

Inez you forgot to mention people who sleep on the beach. Or young boys who hussle all day outside of the airport. Or disabled people who beg for money. Or prositutes who go to the clubs to raise money to feed their children or wives who are married to drunks that beat them on a regular basis and spend their house keeping money. Or girls who are kept away from school to be maids in the house or school girls being impregnanted and forced to abandon their children etc etc.

All the above described can be seen in most countries in the world. Gambia fortunately hasn't got the monopoly on that.

Peace Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  23:04:46  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

I wonder who that could be

quote:
Originally posted by gambiabev

inez nice to hear from you.

Life for the average Gambian is very hard, whatever some people on her may think!

Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  23:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
To coin a phrase Toubab," Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

Peace Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12306 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  23:39:08  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Have a lookat the flow chart here sister o:

http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/howtorecognizesarcasm

Go to Top of Page

inez

279 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  09:09:47  Show Profile Send inez a Private Message
Good morning, I have missed you guys, at least some of you . I thought this topic was about workers situation mainly, did I missunderstand? I don´t think there is anyone saying that poverty only excist in Gambia? I could tell you miljons of stories sister, even about my best friend getting homeless with two children but I don´t since there are social benefits giving her some financial support. In Gambia you don´t have that. When I tell people about Gambia, I don´t give them a image of poor country but at least people who been there plenty of times can talk about reality with each other. Some of us get worried of the situation that avarege people are facing. What makes me scared is the blind social worker living in a dream world and having kind of thoughts that it´s only up to you self to become rich and succesfull, no matter circumstancies!
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  00:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Inez when a human being is empowered its amazing what they are capable of achieving. How many people have come from desperate situations and went on to transform their lives? After all if one is able to take the necessary steps to towards where they want to go them senergy often comes into play its part. By helping you along the way to achieve your goals.

Life is made up of inspirational stories.For example over the weekend a sixteen year old boy was pulled out of the rumble of Japan alive. Where's there's life there is hope. I'm not into negativity. It's just destructive and leads nowhere.

I'm not under any illusion that there is still lots of work to be done in Gambia. However what I've witnessed over the 19 years since travelling to and from Gambia that a tremendous amount of work has been done there. That the Gambian youth have greater confidence in their own abilities in achieving their goals. More and more youth are looking at ways that they can improve themselves by being educated both academically and vocationally. This isn't wishful thinking but pragmatics.

The days of the begging bowl are fast disappearing the work ethic is what is needed in the country and that's what the ordinary person has to do to feed their family. That may mean working in the private public ,voluntary or informal sectors etc. That's what people have to do if they want to gain some financial independence.
Nobody says life is easy of course we all have our ups and down that just means we're alive.

Inez I hope you enjoy your trip to Gambia.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega

Edited by - Sister Omega on 22 Mar 2011 00:59:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06