Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Gambia mourns two journalists

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Momodou Posted - 18 Jan 2022 : 14:31:45
My sincere condolences to the families and friends. May Allah (SWT) grant them Jannah. Ameen.

Gambia mourns two journalists
The Point: Jan 18, 2022
By: Adama Tine

https://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/headlines/gambia-mourns-two-journalists

The Gambian media is mourning the demise of two of its colleagues, Pa Modou Faal, Musa Ndow and one Kawsu Bayo, a staff of the Ministry of Health, who passed away on the wee hours of Monday in a car crash.

The fatal accident, which occurred at Tonyataba village in the Lower River Region, claimed the lives of three people.

Pa Modou Fall and Musa Ndow were both staff of the defunct Daily Observer Newspaper, which was shut down in 2017 on charges of tax evasion.

In an interview with The Point Newspaper, Co-publisher Pap Saine said: “Pa Modou Faal, was a great contributor to the development of the media in The Gambia by covering sports and health related matters.”

According to him, he worked with him for nine years and within those years, he showed utmost commitment and dedication to the profession.

He added that Pa Modou Faal was a great personality who had a very good public relations with the people which gained him lots of friends all over the country. “He was a pious man with so much respect for people especially for the elderly which is very rare for the younger generation.”

The media fraternity, he added, will always remember him and likewise Musa Ndow, a young and vibrant journalist who had so much passion for the job. “The lost of the two is a big blow to the media fraternity. May their souls rest in perfect peace.”

Speaking to this medium, the former minister of Information, Demba .A. Jawo said: “I am quite shocked when I heard the sudden death of Pa Modou Faal and his colleague Musa Ndow in a car accident.”

“Pa Modou, in particular was such a polite young man who was a friend to everyone. I was personally very close to him since the time he was a young reporter. He had always consulted with me and sought my advice on a number of things he intended to undertake,” he noted.

“I remember at one time when he felt threatened by the former regime, he came to stay with me in Dakar for a while until he was comfortable to return to The Gambia,” he revealed.

“I wish to extend my condolences to his family and friends as well as The Gambia Press Union in which he was quite active.

May his soul rest in perfect peace.”

Aisha Davies, director of Information, speaking to this medium expressed her pain over the lost of the two, saying that: “I’m shocked. We were together at our staff picnic last Saturday 14 January.”

“Pa Modou exuded respect, humility, kindness and humanity. He was among the first corps of Information Officers appointed by the department and was posted the Ministry of Health.”

“He was hard working and made great contributions in the advancement of the department. He will be greatly missed and everyone at the department is saddened by his death.”

The party leader of the Citizens Alliance, Dr. Ismaila Ceesay, tweeted that: “the shocking news of the death of journalists Pa Modou Faal and Musa Ndow, and health worker Kawsu Bayo in a car crash is devastating.

“This is irreparable loss to their families & the nation. May Allah grant them Jannah & give their families the heart to bear this tragic loss.”
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toubab1020 Posted - 28 Jan 2022 : 14:03:00

==========

https://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/headlines/opinions-divide-drivers-on-frequent-road-accidents

==========
#Headlines
Opinions: divide drivers on frequent road accidents

Jan 28, 2022, 12:31 PM | Article By: Adama Tine

Drivers in the Kanifing Municipality have lamented the frequent accidents on the roads around the KM and the country at large. According to them, accidents are very rampant, underlining different factors responsible.

Sulayman Badjie, a taxi driver, expressed his concern over the common road accident, saying driving licence should be given to only qualified drivers.

He added that reckless driving always leads to road accidents whereby drivers are always held responsible each time there is one.

He said some of these drivers are not qualified because they don’t know the traffic signs, rules and regulations.

He added that some of the drivers sometimes drink and drive and in that state of mind they lose control leading to accidents.

Reckless drivers, he said, are the ones that always cause road accidents and not the road itself. “No matter how narrow, wide, tarred the road is “if you drive carefully, you won’t cause an accident.”

Tijan Cham, a tricycle rider also affirmed that reckless driving is the cause of most of the accidents on the roads and most of the tricycle riders on the road are always drunk while driving. He suggested that they need to be examined by the traffic police.

He said drivers are not giving chances to each other when there is a traffic jam. “Everyone of them wants to move at the same time. “Even some of the drivers use the footpath when driving and deprive people from walking on the road.”

“Both commercial and private drivers park anyhow on the highway to drop passengers and that’s wrong because it can cause accidents”.

He added that the traffic police are doing a good job to avoid road accidents but the drivers also should try as much as possible to obey the signs, rules and regulations of traffic and remain focused when driving.

David Correa, a taxi driver, said road accidents are mainly caused by reckless driving. However, he added that there are no good roads in the country.

He urged other drivers like him to stop speeding, while calling on traffic police not to relent in their job on the roads.
toubab1020 Posted - 21 Jan 2022 : 12:49:06
==========

https://standard.gm/gambia-news/police-investigate-car-crash-that-killed-2-gambian-journalists/

==========

Police investigate car crash that killed 2 Gambian journalists
January 21, 2022

By Tabora Bojang on January 21, 2022

Police spokesman Superintendent Lamin Njie has confirmed to The Standard that police are investigating a car crash that left two senior journalists and a senior health official dead Sunday night.

Journalists Pa Modou Faal and Musa Ndow, both working as communication officers at the Ministry of Health at the time, died in the crash near Soma in the LRR.

Kawsu Bayo, an official of the Ministry of Health, also died in the accident while the driver Ousman Sanyang and communications officer Salifu Touray, are responding to treatment at the hospital.

According to the police, the driver was arrested and set on bail to allow him to heal the injuries he sustained.

“Inquiries are still ongoing and the driver [Ousman] is yet to be charged,” PRO Njie stated.
toubab1020 Posted - 20 Jan 2022 : 22:00:09

==========
https://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/headlines/transport-ministry-boosts-gambia-police-force-to-minimise-road-accidents

===========

#Headlines Jan 19, 2022, 12:44 PM

Transport Ministry boosts Gambia Police Force to minimise road accidents

Jan 19, 2022, 12:44 PM
In a worthwhile move in combating road traffic accidents on our roads as lives are lost due to the increasing number of fatal road accidents, the Ministry of Transport, Works and Infrastructure, concerned about the state of affairs, on Wednesday 12 January 2022 presented road traffic equipment to The Gambia Police Force at a ceremony held at the ministry’s conference room in Kanifing.

The items which were purchased by the ministry include: three speed radars or speed guns, five breathalyzer or alcohol detectors and 500 copies of accident reporting templates for data capturing.

The equipment would help build the capacity of the members of The Gambia Police Force mobile traffic unit, the main beneficiary of the equipment in their quest to fight road traffic offences and minimise road accidents by ensuring that sanity is maintained on our roads especially the highways.

Speaking at the handing over ceremony, Mod K. Ceesay, permanent secretary, Ministry of Transport, Works and Infrastructure described the presentation of the equipment to The Gambia Police Force as very timely and symbolic as the number of road traffic accidents are on the increase in the country due to many factors such as speeding, careless driving and drink-driving among others.

He explained that the speed radars would be able to determine at what speed a particular driver is driving if stopped by the police, while the breathalyzer will show the amount of alcohol content taken by a driver at the time of accident .

Furthermore, he said the accident reporting templates will also greatly help the police in recording accidents accurately and in an orderly manner.

“Supporting and assisting the police in any way that would minimise road traffic accidents in the country is commendable and is in the right direction. This ministry has lot more bigger agenda to pursue which is in line with road safety and easy flow of traffic in the country, through coordination as a first step in the designing of policy measures geared towards empowering traffic law enforcement and road safety agencies responsible for road safety to be able to do their work better and efficiently,” he said.

PS Ceesay further called on all stakeholders to join hands with The Gambia Police Force in carrying the heavy load of traffic related issues on their shoulders in a way and manner that would ease the burden on the police.

“We are all into this together. The police are the lead agency for this and they need our support as well. Again, these equipment would not only help the police in carrying out their functions very well, but will boost their morale in line with their work, he said.

On vehicle certification and licencing, PS Ceesay explained that the ministries of Transport, Work and Infrastructure and Interior at some point in time would come up with mechanisms that would subject old vehicles especially commercial vehicles to regular testing to determine whether they are worthy of plying our roads.

“We would want to see a situation where those who drives are actually professional drivers and are qualified to drive and are medically fit as well. Cameras would also be fixed at some areas as a way of identifying and possible prosecution of offenders on our roads,” he pointed out.

Lamin King Colley, commissioner Police Mobile Traffic, thanked the Ministry of Transport, Works and Infrastructure for purchasing such valuable equipment for The Gambia Police Force.

“Prosecuting road traffic offenders are sometimes a nightmare due to the fact that police would not have enough or sufficient evidences to argue their cases in court. But with these equipment in place, our job is now going to be easier than ever before,” he said.

The police commissioner lamented over the frequent road accidents occurring on our roads as majority of those accidents ended up in fatalities, adding that his unit will renew their resolve to ensure that road accidents are drastically reduced to zero in the country.

King maintained that the equipment came at the right time and therefore, assured the ministry that the donated equipment would be put into good use.

Momodou Senghore, managing director of The National Roads Authority, said the donated equipment came at the right time as the road network of the country is increasing likewise the number of vehicles plying the roads.

“So really we expect accident rates to go up daily. This is why it is important to put in place measures to mitigate accidents on the roads. I think this is a milestone by acquiring some of these gadgets for The Gambia Police Force,” he said.

The presentation which lasted for about an hour, was chaired by Essa Drammeh, director of Transport, Ministry of Transport, Works and Infrastructure.

By Lamin Njie

Assistant Information Officer

Ministry of Transport, Works & Infrastructure
toubab1020 Posted - 19 Jan 2022 : 08:21:25
RELATED:

https://standard.gm/opinion/letters/letters-on-the-demise-of-pa-modou-faal-and-musa-ndow/

AND:

https://standard.gm/gambia-news/reckless-driver-remanded-for-allegedly-causing-death/

++++++++++++++++

Road saftey and driving standards are vastly different in many countries in the world, in my opinion, all injuries and deaths should be investigated by QUALIFIED EXPERT POLICE OFFICERS as far as I am aware no such personalle currently exist in Gambia such ae education for a nation wide qualifed police officers would show an example to many countries that Gambia takes driving standards and saftey very seriously drivers found to be at fault should have their vehicles impounded and reeducated to drive in a safe and careful way.

What say you Dear Reader?,why not post and tell us?
Momodou Posted - 18 Jan 2022 : 14:36:51
2 Gambian journalists killed in car crash

The Standard: JANUARY 18, 2022

By Omar Bah

https://standard.gm/gambia-news/2-gambian-journalists-killed-in-car-crash/

Pa Modou Faal and Musa Ndow (all journalists), working as communication officers at the Ministry of Health, have been confirmed dead in a fatal car crash on Sunday.

One Kawsu Bayo, a Ministry of Health official, died too. The three officials were on their way from Soma to Banjul.

Faal was a senior executive member of the Gambia Press Union, who later joined the Ministry of Health with Musa Ndow as press and communications officer.

According to sources from the Ministry of Health, they were coming from a four-day health education mission in Soma, Lower River Region. The driver and another communications officer Salifu Touray survived the fatal accident, suffering minor injuries.

Mr Faal was laid to rest at his residence in Lamin while Mr Ndow will be laid to rest today.

Condolences

Reacting to the tragic news, the GPU president Muhammed MS Bah, said: “This is devastating news to hear the demise of our two colleagues and brothers. Pa Modou served the GPU in several boards. I pray to Allah to grant them Jannah.”

Former Minister of Information, Demba Ali Jawo wrote: “I am particularly devastated by Pa Modou’s death who was very close to me. He had a lot of respect for me and he consulted with me about anything he was embarking on. May their gentle souls rest in perfect peace”.

Madi Jobarteh also wrote on Facebook: “I have known Pa Modou for the past 20 years as a journalist, friend and brother. For the past two decades, Pa Modou gave me utmost regard and respect. He only called me ‘Koto’. I cannot remember Pa Modou calling me by name. This man was the embodiment of respect, humility and kindness.”

Sanna Camara, a journalist who worked with Pa Modou Faal at the defunct Independent Newspaper, wrote: “Koto (as we all fondly called him) provided his shoulder as comfort to so many of us who faced troubles in the media to cry on. He was a good listener and true professional who loved this profession with everything he had.

“I came to know Musa Ndow in late 2009 when we began undergoing two-year Professional Reporters Program at the GPU. Although we did not work together in the same paper, I found him to be a respectful young man who was driven to learn and practice the trade in the best way possible.”

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06