Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Literature
 Poetry Forum
 Gambian Folk Tales and Fables

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sankalanka Posted - 24 Jan 2016 : 19:00:52

I visited the Gambia in December, 2015 and have with me a book about Gambian Folk Tales and Fables written by Cornelius Gomez, popularly known as Connie, and another children's book with illustrations written by Cornelius Gomez and Harr Freeya Njai.

These books attempt to promote our Gambian culture and have been written using Wollof words as part of the narrative. The Gambian Folk Tales and Fables ( Leeboon-lipeen) also has a Wollof version. All these efforts are geared to sustain the culture and tradition that has always been part and parcel of the fabric of our society.

It is therefore necessary that we support the efforts of these Gambian writers and help them by buying their books, and also to provide them with financial assistance so that they can continue to produce creative works that promote and sustain our culture.

Connie studied French, African Literature as well as Olof Grammar and Transcription at the University of Cheikh Anta Diop in Dakar. He has been a Director of Literature, Performing and Fine Arts at the National Center for Arts and Culture in the Gambia.

"He is also a dramatic narrator of Gambian folk tales and fables on Gambia Radio and Television, and has dedicated his life to the cultural education of children through story telling and drama."

Just like most diaspora Gambians I was not aware of the work of these Gambian writers until it came up in a discussion. It is my hope that Gambians and non Gambians alike, who like me find great value in the work that these writers do, will help them so that they can continue to write such books.

I also understand that there are attempts to produce movies that will reflect on our culture as well. These aspects of the Gambian creative arts are facing a lot of difficulties and challenges I am told.

It is my hope that a foundation can be created that will promote and sustain the Gambia's creative arts and culture.

Cornelius J. Gomez can be reach at ndablipro@gmail.com. And his phone numbers are: 220 9929809,7929809,3569253.

NB: Please share for wider circulation.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sankalanka Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 16:07:27
Momodou, may her soul continue to rest in peace. I did not know her but she was working on some great projects. Connie was her teacher at some point and he told me that she was the one who initiated the children's book project. They were working together.

Her death is a great lost to the Gambian creative arts, and you can see the pain in Connie's face when he talked about her.
Momodou Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 13:26:54
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, Ja Harr passed away over one year ago (20th October 2014) and left 3 kids Behind.

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06