Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Environment and sustainable development
 Gambia gets $66M grant to improve rural electricit

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Momodou Posted - 07 Mar 2019 : 14:49:45
Gambia gets $66M grant to improve rural electricity supply

The Point: Thursday, March 07, 2019

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/gambia-gets-66m-grant-to-improve-rural-electricity-supply

The World Bank has signed grant IDA agreement with Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs in the tune of $66 million to provide access to grid connected electricity supply most especially rural Gambia under ECOWAS Regional Electricity Access Project (ECOWAS-REAP)
The grant will enable the country to fully implement the West Africa Power Pool (WAPP) projects in the country which aims to increase grid electricity access within the West African Region.
The electrification project also aims at improving the cost of electricity supply to the countries by expanding an interconnected power system.
Speaking at the signing ceremony, the World Bank country director to the Gambia, Mrs. Louise Cord expressed her delight in signing the project, noting the importance of access to electricity especially for rural Gambia.
“The biggest beneficiaries will be those in the rural areas and outside Banjul who will now be able to, once the infrastructure is built under this project, will get access to energy and electricity and we know that that is an engine of growth,” she said. “It helps women, it helps small enterprises, it helps schools, it helps schools and teachers, it helps students to study.
“This is creating opportunity for growth outside of Banjul which for me and the World Bank is absolutely central to our mission to helping reduce world poverty and promoting geo prosperity.”
She said the WB took opportunity of the OMVG project which is also another regional project in ensuring rural communities in the sub-region have access to electricity.
The Finance and Economic Affairs minister Mamburay Njie applauded the WB’s gesture, saying the money is significant judging the country’s GDP and that it will play a crucial role in the socio-economic lives of Gambians. The Finance minister said President Barrow is appreciative of the gesture as providing electricity to rural Gambians is part of his NDP agenda.
“For the fact the household, the beneficiaries, the common Gambian that is up there will change their lives, poverty alleviation and the project is expected to increase to electricity, that alone, not only will it change the life of rural Gambia, but it can also reduce migration rural to urban,” Njie said.
According to the World Bank, the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Access Project will help provide electricity access to 2.5 million people across five countries in West Africa, namely; Guinea Bissau, Niger, Mali, Togo and The Gambia.

Author: Sankulleh Gibril Janko
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toubab1020 Posted - 04 Oct 2020 : 01:17:26
All you write is accurate Maybe the "TRANSPARENCY" that politicos and the Adminstration are very often trumpeting could in fact be a seed change that will be brought to the fore, who knows,only time will tell,things have been known to change for the better is a few African countries I hear.
I am not a politico scholar or expert, just a simple soul

quote:
Originally posted by rassimian

toubab, me thinks you are too trusting! NAWEC has not got a good reputation- ask most Gambians what they think of it and it is of course a monopoly. No one else can supply electricity as far as I know and as you say most compounds will(may not if these monies are spent in the right way) to have to pay for their own home pole and meter. Last time I checked there was a shortage of meters but don't know if that has improved. Doesn't answer my point about irregular supply being improved upon for those living in the Kotu power station area.

rassimian Posted - 03 Oct 2020 : 11:55:08
toubab, me thinks you are too trusting! NAWEC has not got a good reputation- ask most Gambians what they think of it and it is of course a monopoly. No one else can supply electricity as far as I know and as you say most compounds will(may not if these monies are spent in the right way) to have to pay for their own home pole and meter. Last time I checked there was a shortage of meters but don't know if that has improved. Doesn't answer my point about irregular supply being improved upon for those living in the Kotu power station area.
toubab1020 Posted - 02 Oct 2020 : 23:01:32
Agreed, but it is PROGRESS the distrubtion poles are wired up and in place and have been so for over a year,NAWEC has had BIG problems in the past with an alleged shortage of community transformers which have been allocated on what appears to be a high population area basis,compound owners will still have to buy their own home pole and meter.
Now that a political decision has been made to spend the allocated money perhaps is MAYBE time to rename NAWEC "NEW NAWEC"

quote:
Originally posted by rassimian

It may sound like good news for those in the rural areas but NAWEC has not exactly got its act together with regard to its supply to the Serrekunda area. There are constant power outs lasting up to 24 hours ,with no warnings of beginning or end. I have lived in Manjai and the supply has been extremely irregular at times. According to friends who live in the Banjul area they don't seem to experience cuts or if they do for only very short periods. I wonder if this is because the President and many polititians live and work there and because the supply is from the Turkish ship offshore which supplies it. Also in those outlying areas where their supply comes from Brikama, as far as I am aware they also seem to experience shorter electric cut offs. Lets hope this money can improve the electricity supply in all areas of the Gambia.

rassimian Posted - 02 Oct 2020 : 21:05:29
It may sound like good news for those in the rural areas but NAWEC has not exactly got its act together with regard to its supply to the Serrekunda area. There are constant power outs lasting up to 24 hours ,with no warnings of beginning or end. I have lived in Manjai and the supply has been extremely irregular at times. According to friends who live in the Banjul area they don't seem to experience cuts or if they do for only very short periods. I wonder if this is because the President and many polititians live and work there and because the supply is from the Turkish ship offshore which supplies it. Also in those outlying areas where their supply comes from Brikama, as far as I am aware they also seem to experience shorter electric cut offs. Lets hope this money can improve the electricity supply in all areas of the Gambia.
toubab1020 Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 16:14:01
LATEST NEWS
I have just found out that a TRANSFORMER has been installed in Faraba Banta the first sign that ELECTRICITY is on its way the poles have been installed for some time BUT no connection has been made,great news but the problem remains for compounds to buy theor own pole to connect to the main line and the fuze box,and survey,how many compounds will be able to afford this ?
Still PROGRESS for the people of rural communities.
toubab1020 Posted - 07 Mar 2019 : 21:45:07
As I have observed before these initiaves are GREAT, BUT when will the MONEY arrive ,political planning must take place BEFORE ANYTHING happens by way of construction.

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06